Outdoors
Sponsored by

Grill placement question

2,359 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 27 days ago by BlueSmoke
Scriffer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Moving into a new house, and the previous owners had a pad and structure for a hot tub that is now gone. The hut is about 12' x 9' and has a 9.5' max internal height.

I have no desire for a hot tub, but I'm considering using it as a low grade outdoor kitchen. If I knock out the panes in the top section, it seems like that would provide sufficient air flow for a large Big Green Egg and a Blackstone.

I mainly use the Egg for low and slow and rarely get it super hot for pizzas or anything like that. Am I setting myself up for a denied insurance claim on this?

bowhuntr
I think you could get enough air flow in there for an egg. I don't feel like they give off enough heat to be a fire risk if that's what you're asking. I would have it 8-10" from the wood for good measure. Might be helpful to create some sort of opening in the top to allow smoke to escape. Worth a shot.
Scriffer
AG
Yeah that's effectively it. Thinking I can just pop out those frosted panes at the top of the first pic and call it good.

Edit: Plus, if I were doing a high heat situation for pizza or searing, I'd be right there for monitoring anyway
04.arch.ag
AG
I give the inside of that hot tub swingers sex shed a good rinse with some bleach before any food prep
Scriffer
AG
04.arch.ag said:

I give the inside of that hot tub swingers sex shed a good rinse with some bleach before any food prep

Also very much part of the plan
busdriver88
AG
04.arch.ag said:

Dammit, spit coffee on my shirt.
There may not be time to do the job right, but there is always time to do the job over!!
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Already got stools and a a bar too. Outdoor fridge, sink and prep area. Install a ceiling fan, and you're set up.
normaleagle05
AG
The egg won't be a problem but it won't be the first structure I saw a Blackstone set on fire.
Ogre09
AG
Outdoor range hood vent
WestGalvestonAggie
That floor has seen a ton of loads.
"I always thought Roy Acuff was probably an *******. I’m a Hank Williams fan."

-Steve Earle
rilloaggie
AG
Definitely going to build up a ton of grease on the inside. The combo of grease laden vapor from the griddle plus the carbon from the smoker will build up a bunch over time. Ventilation will help some but considering that combo of cooling style builds up quick in commercial kitchens…definitely something to keep an eye on. I put myself through school installing/maintaining kitchen fire suppression systems so I've seen all the different grease making combos. Definitely keep an eye out for grease buildup.
SharkinAg
AG
If that was mine, I would seriously put a window unit on it. Because why not.
lotsofhp
AG
Previous owners seem fun
TH36
You're looking at this all wrong my man…that's your studio for you and the wife's onlyfans page.
Scriffer
AG
I'm definitely going to be less popular on the street than the prior owners
AggieOO
Scriffer said:

That was going to be the case regardless.
lurker76
If you use Facebook, my wife follows a group called BBQ Shacks and Shanties that might give you some ideas on how to set it up.
Scriffer
AG
AggieOO said:

Scriffer said:

That was going to be the case regardless.

All part of the plan
RCR06
AG
My first thought was an attic fan type setup in the center of the roof. Should create a draft pulling air through the structure. Might be a problem for the smoker.

Friend of mine has two box fans wired together above and just behind his grill that he uses as an exhaust fan.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Turn a black light on in there at night and it probably looks like you are in the middle of the Milky Way
Scriffer
AG
Ok I'm going for it and just planning to deal with grease as needed.

But now I have to think of a name. I assume it needs Grotto in there somewhere.
TH36
Scriffer said:

Grillabbin Cabin?
YellAgs
AG
TH36 said:

Scriffer said:

Grillabbin Cabin?
stabbin cabin to meat cabin
Scriffer
AG
Right now I'm leaning towards The Smoke and Poke
FIDO*98*
AG
You're worried that insurance won't cover a crappy old wooden stabbin cabin if it burns down
BlueSmoke
You can get a small fan that attaches to the front of the egg to help with airflow. You need to make sure smoke can vent up and out of the top, and I'd want those windows to be able to open to get air in there so you don't have a stroke in there while smoking. Maybe a small ceiling fan?

Does it have electricity? A kegerator seems a perfect fit as well or a small outdoor fridge along with a bunch of prep space
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.