Outdoors
Sponsored by

Dog help- ate a rabbit

4,670 Views | 43 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by big ben
cupofjoe04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Tony Franklins Other Shoe said:

Love/hate that about dogs. No! Drop it! Dog's voice in head screams "swallow it now".

Yep. This is actually my biggest concern now. A fun new training challenge to get her to ignore that instinct. My last lab would. I could leave a steak on a coffee table and leave the room indefinitely, if I told her to leave it she would. This dog… not so much. She wants to swallow it first, and figure out if it was OK later.
arrow
AG
I watched my lab swallow a squirrel whole once. She just pitched back her head and slid it right down. It was one of the coolest things I ever saw her do. I wish I had a video.
EFE
AG
Ogre09 said:

My little Pug/Italian Greyhound mix eats several squirrels a year. She's quick and catches them and eats them whole. No issues. I've caught her a couple times with just a big fluffy tail hanging out.
gonna need a rule 1 on this genetic monstrosity
docb
AG
Aren't dogs supposed to eat stuff like that. I know our cat has eaten tons of baby rabbits and field mice and she seems just fine. She has never been to the vet except to get spayed spayed and has lived outside her whole life. Not sure how old as she just showed up one day about 15 years ago.
bmfvet
AG
Ogre09 said:

Milwaukees Best Light said:

Ogre09 said:

My little Pug/Italian Greyhound mix eats several squirrels a year. She's quick and catches them and eats them whole. No issues.

Can I rent her for a couple weeks? My golden is too big and slow to catch them.

We don't rent ipugs.

How about trade for vet services to annihilate the squirrels that eat all my peaches.
‘99
BlueSmoke
My knucklehead has a murder tally:

7 rabbits
4 rats/mice
and a bird

She's fine
Nobody cares. Work Harder
HalifaxAg
AG
Wearer of the Ring
AG
Glad it seems to have worked out ok.

Now I'm waiting for the follow up thread about the rabbit that ate a dog.
big ben
AG
docb said:

Aren't dogs supposed to eat stuff like that. I know our cat has eaten tons of baby rabbits and field mice and she seems just fine. She has never been to the vet except to get spayed spayed and has lived outside her whole life. Not sure how old as she just showed up one day about 15 years ago.
Same for our cat, has killed/half eaten ducklings, rabbits, squirrels, mice, even trapped an opossum once (I dispatched that one) and she's fine. Outdoor cat but I keep her shots current.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.