Outdoors
Sponsored by

Best grill brush for cast iron grates

1,776 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by DrippinAg
Jock 07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just got a new grill and have always just used metal brushes but want to get away from that. Any consensus on solid grill brushes?
TheVarian
AG
Haven't used a solid grill brush but have switched to using a potato half or an onion. Use a corn cob pick and good to go.

Wouldn't hate to get a wooden one but haven't pulled the trigger yet.
Bronco6Gen
I don't think I would have ever bought it for myself, but the kids got me a Grillbot for Father's Day, and the thing is awesome. Just put it in the grill, turn it on, close the door and come back 10 minutes later and it is clean. I've got a good size smoker, put it on a 30 minute cleaning cycle and I was amazed. My gas grill, pellet grill, and BGE all are good with the 10 minute cleaning cycle.

Grillbot on Amazon
swampstander
AG
If you don't want a metal brush because you are afraid of getting bristles in the food, THESE bristleless brushes are pretty awesome.
Farmer_J
swampstander said:

If you don't want a metal brush because you are afraid of getting bristles in the food, THESE bristleless brushes are pretty awesome.

Men have cleaned grills with wire brushes for a millennia but one story on tiktok about someone getting a bristle in their food - and everyone panics.

(It's a cool brush btw)

Biggame12
AG
Bronco6Gen said:

I don't think I would have ever bought it for myself, but the kids got me a Grillbot for Father's Day, and the thing is awesome. Just put it in the grill, turn it on, close the door and come back 10 minutes later and it is clean. I've got a good size smoker, put it on a 30 minute cleaning cycle and I was amazed. My gas grill, pellet grill, and BGE all are good with the 10 minute cleaning cycle.

Grillbot on Amazon
This looks awesome!! I just bought one...
lazuras_dc
AG
Grill Rescue is my absolute favorite. I tried the metal bristeless brush as posted before (the one that looks like wire coils) and I didn't like it.

https://www.amazon.com/Grill-Rescue-Replaceable-Cleaning-Bristle/dp/B07YJ16RQG/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=1M4SDAPP6KOLB&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.EBPJBI7loN7jb_GaVfyQiB-LEZyk5dLoO_KkrDHwZG2ZjOzw8vmlh9IwbPzo3ViAAF-1m_lytFpL_zc5NsRD0SGI52U3hZBma4RC9f-GAovvyiSz3B0K62Go2wVc9q_XexD2DSFtd_03WcGEj7vRaYUBQ8oF74Zn7bO3mgLgKEvpTeJBhPZeq_7yKHGbPB6FARtpoS1bVPKDKWyVMYxiDPwrQs6EI5wkZTiCqDBQ-C2Htf4XvV1B2B1hEOuXZKjfn0s8B9SdtzwWs_6JphtGcL_L-l4h5sGmbqxQJdNLWOA.jwcCZiLTwZH9iO0eXaMDxDe82JkxmZIRObkn7Zokh94&dib_tag=se&keywords=grill+brush&qid=1721144432&sprefix=grill+brush%2Caps%2C132&sr=8-1-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1
Hodor
AG
Farmer_J said:

swampstander said:

Men have cleaned grills with wire brushes for a millennia but one story on tiktok about someone getting a bristle in their food - and everyone panics.

(It's a cool brush btw)

To be fair, I've seen multiple patients (mainly kids) where this has happened, and some who required surgery. It's rare, but does happen.
Fenrir
As soon as I'm done cooking I use this to scrape off larger debris
https://www.amazon.com/GRILLART-Grill-Brush-Stainless-Bristles/dp/B075NC2MYB/

and follow up with this while the grate is still hot to steam clean
https://www.amazon.com/Grill-Rescue-Replaceable-Cleaning-Bristle/dp/B07YJ16RQG

I feel like my grate is noticeably cleaner. Also the steam brush seems to help wash grease into the grease tray which has minimized flare-ups when grill gets hot.
lazuras_dc
AG
Hodor said:

Farmer_J said:

swampstander said:

(It's a cool brush btw)

To be fair, I've seen multiple patients (mainly kids) where this has happened, and some who required surgery. It's rare, but does happen.

I've seen it first hand as well, and its an easy enough change to eliminate that risk and headache. Imagine a wire stuck in the floor of the mouth...so uncomfortable and then as a clinician very difficult to even locate it with imaging first and then the surgery to remove it. Sure its 1 in 10,000 lets say. but how hard is it just to use a different brush.
kyledr04
AG
I really like the Grill Rescue. Wasn't really worried about the wire brush issue but the Grill Rescue cleans very well. Every now and then the wire brush is still useful.
Farmer_J

I stand corrected. Might have to check out the bristless brush.
Jock 07
AG
Biggame12 said:

Bronco6Gen said:

Grillbot on Amazon

Well balls. I was looking at this earlier with plans to come back and buy one and now they're out.

And it's not the stories of metal bristles winding up in food that is driving me away from them, it's the fact I don't want to do any damage to the porcelain/cast iron grates.
Biggame12
AG
Jock 07 said:

Biggame12 said:

Bronco6Gen said:

Grillbot on Amazon

Well balls. I was looking at this earlier with plans to come back and buy one and now they're out.

And it's not the stories of metal bristles winding up in food that is driving me away from them, it's the fact I don't want to do any damage to the porcelain/cast iron grates.
There are two different offers on Amazon… the more expensive one is still available
DrippinAg
S
Sort of on topic but not exactly...

I found an old but really well made and super heavy duty steel grate with robust legs on a property we bought. The grate is incredibly strong and it's huge and built for throwing in a fire pit. The issue is it's super old and rusted but is there a way to bring it back to life?
StockHorseAg
AG
Hit it with a wire bush on a grinder and then oil it with cooking oil or something like that. It's tough since it's going to be in contact with food. If you didn't plan on using it for cooking I would recommend Ospho after hitting it with the wire brush.
DrippinAg
S
Thanks and that's kind of what I figured Stockhorse. I bought a couple of the round grills for like a Webber and tied them on top with wire for now so we can use it to cook meat.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.