Outdoors
Sponsored by

Are Costas worth the money?

2,820 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 29 days ago by FIDO*98*
ReloadAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My Oakleys are scratched so looking for some new sunglasses, specifically the Costa Cat Cays. Are Costas worth the hype?
nealan
To me , the glass lens ones are. I got tired of my plastic oakleys getting scratched constantly. I will qualify that though with.. you can usually find good deals on Costas if you look around. I've never paid full price for a pair
SanAntoneAg
AG
IMHO they are worth the money if you buy them on sale from Steep & Cheap or similar retailers.
slammerag
AG
Better options out there
kyledr04
AG
I like them especially for fishing but the rubber will fall off soon. The secret is getting then cheap off woot.
DargelSkout
AG
slammerag said:

Better options out there

This. I prefer Smith over Costas. The Smith glass is considerably lighter than the Costa glass. At least it was when I bought mine a few years ago.
Missouri Boat Ride
AG
I am a fan. The rubber nose pieces come off after 3 or so years due to heavy sunscreen. I wear the rincon 580g for a big head.
El_duderino
Had mine for 12 years now so I'd say they were worth it.
WaldoWings
no. it's just expensive sunglasses. a status symbol.
SharkinAg
AG
No. Lightweight maui Jim's are worth every dime though
Mas89
AG
DargelSkout said:

slammerag said:

Better options out there

This. I prefer Smith over Costas. The Smith glass is considerably lighter than the Costa glass. At least it was when I bought mine a few years ago.
Smith Riptide. Can choose between glass or plastic. Best all around I have found after years of MJ and Costas.
AW 1880
AG
I've had three pairs of Costas over the last 20 years. My next pair of sunglasses will be lightweight Maui Jims. I will still wear the Costas for fishing/outdoors but will the MJs daily.
TXAG 05
AG
Not any more. Like a lot of things, they just don't make them like they used to. I switched over to Smith a couple years ago and not going back.
gravitartx
AG
I really like the glass lens ones. I have two pairs of Reeftons that I wear almost everyday. Only replaced the first pair because the rubber pieces started to peel off after 4 years and I wanted to try the green lenses. Will probably try something else once these wear out since the prices have gone through the roof.
dr_boogs
AG
Smith and Bajio.
mts6175
AG
Frames are crap.
well_endowed_ag
Gets Smith. Guide's Choice. They're awesome.
aftershock
WaldoWings said:

have you ever actually owned a pair? I was of the same opinion, but I got a pair in a raffle and it's noticeably different on almost every level.
JSKolache
AG
Buy Fuse lenses for your frames. I'm on set number 3.
CivilEng08
Worth noting on Costa that their warranty is now only 2 years.

I've gone through waves of love/hate with their warranty over the last ~2 decades, but I won't buy another pair and I expect to have warranty coverage issues going forward because I don't have receipts for everything going back that far.
Maybe Next Year
AG
They're not the lightest or most comfortable glasses to wear.
Gilligan
AG
Costas with readers built in is an important part of my fishing gear.

Love em
cords12
No! Costa Del Mar sold out to a foreign company and the customer service sucks now! The old Costa Del Mar guys started a company called Bajio! I just got a pair and love them!
WaldoWings
aftershock said:

WaldoWings said:

have you ever actually owned a pair? I was of the same opinion, but I got a pair in a raffle and it's noticeably different on almost every level.

yes. i had some glass lens ones. spent like $250 on them, broke the lens then something happened where it was going to cost quite a bit to fix them. don't get me to lying because this was probably 8 years ago. but i do remember thinking i would likely break them again and didn't want to spend that money. so they sent them back and i bought my nike's for $40 and love them. but I am not overly picky, so it just wasn't worth the money for me. i was also typing after drinking miller lite all day yesterday or i probably wouldn't have even responded. no offense meant to anyone that owns and loves them.
aggiepaintrain
AG
No but Maui's are
Cromagnum
AG
Another vote for Maui Jim's.
texags08
AG
The casual sunglasses wearer should focus on a core group of brands and pick what looks good / what they like looks wise vs going down the rabbit hole of "glass clarity". The majority of us will not be able to tell the difference in practical situations if you go with a good quality glass lens. So pick your poison of the usual glass lens providers. They will all me far more scratch resistant than plastic Oakley lenses.

For quick reference, my plastic Costas are 3 years old and have one scratch and I haven't babied them near as much as my old oakleys with tons of scratches. My 5 year old glass Costas have one gouge in them that would have shattered any plastic lens and no other visible scratches outside of insignificant hairline stuff.
nealan
Good to know! Thanks
pattymelt
AG
Missouri Boat Ride said:

I am a fan. The rubber nose pieces come off after 3 or so years due to heavy sunscreen. I wear the rincon 580g for a big head.
This is my experience as well. Warranty has replaced mine twice in 6 years. I'd love to get a different pair or some Maui Jims, but it's hard to justify when Costa's warranty gives me brand new glasses without hassle.
MattAg98
AG
I second the Fuse Lens recommendation. You can replace your Oakley lenses with new polarized for about $50. I've owned a lot of the expensive brands over the years and i am picky about lens clarity, the fuse lenses are just as clear as the original plastic lenses.

If you want to buy a new pair of glasses, I think Maui Jim is the best.
ghollow
AG
I really like my Costas. They are great glasses that can take some abuse. I am pretty hard on them. With that being said, my ophthalmologist has told me that they will no longer be selling Costas. They apparently have been bought out and the quality is no longer as good. The guys that started Costa have started up again as Bajia. They look great but the word is not out yet on how good they really are. Her recommendation is that I go back to MJ's. They have been bought out as well but the quality does not seem to have suffered. The last pair of MJ's I had could not stand up to my abuse.
So the greatest civilization is one where all citizens are equally armed and can only be persuaded, never forced. It removes force from the equation... and that's why carrying a gun is a civilized act.
Maybe Next Year
AG
Figured I would throw this thought out there about glass. Clarity is a pro. However, in an impact scenario (shotgun pellet, airbag, etc.) aren't poly less likely to shatter?
OlRock
AG
Here to say after being a loyal MJ guy forever, when I lost my last 2 in the water I replaced them with a pair of Columbia's. I think they were $50, and now I won't feel so bad when I lose these. I've had them for over a year and have had zero complaints.
FIDO*98*
AG
MJs are the most comfortable for me, but the integrated retainers on Smith have put them as my go-to for fishing. Once you get used to the lighter glass of Smith and MJs it becomes hard to wear Costas
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.