Outdoors
Sponsored by

Shark bite on South Padre!

22,284 Views | 126 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by 88agswin
BurnetAggie99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Why use/wash with Hibiclens and carry Hibiclens as well on-site. It's best to wash your whole body with Hibiclens right before going to the beach. Then immediately wash again with Hibiclens after getting out of the water. Then good to carry some either the wipes or some in a spray bottle on site as for emergency contact
General Jack D. Ripper
The day I have to engage in that will be the day I don't swim in the ocean.
There was this one time at ban camp…
fightingfarmer09
BurnetAggie99 said:

Why use/wash with Hibiclens and carry Hibiclens as well on-site. It's best to wash your whole body with Hibiclens right before going to the beach. Then immediately wash again with Hibiclens after getting out of the water. Then good to carry some either the wipes or some in a spray bottle on site as for emergency contact

Got this stuff in my first aid kit on the kayak.
Centerpole90
AG
Ya'll talking about the likelihood of shark attacks during a woman's cycle - if you read, not just watched, The Perfect Storm by Junger, you would NEVER get in a sharky area with a pooch. He had a whole chapter on shark attacks and went into great detail about increased probability when a swimming dog is in the mix. Of course, that data is 25 years old now, but it stuck with me.
Emotional Support Cobra
AG
Vibrio is the real deal and should be avoided with practical measures. They report that it is worse when the water is over a certain temperature. We would always wash any wound with Dial soap (back in the day) and then hibiclens later on if we got a cut or fish hook stab in the saltwater environment.

I am sure CCMC or whoever is treating these folks will pump them full of abx and do their best.

RGV AG
AG
I remember that as well. There is creedence to that supposition. A long time ago, in a galaxy far away I spent several months living in the Keys. Some neighbors down the road from where I lived were big dog people that had lived in Islamorada for decades. True locals. I got to know them and they were dog lovers and had several. Throughout the years of living there they had lost 1 dog to shark attack and had another injured, right there at the end of the street on a small inlet off a canal.

The paddling motion of a dog and shape attracts sharks, at least according to them. The spent a lot of time making sure that their dogs, and they had like 4 or 5, were trained harshly and completely to stay out of the canals and the inlet where we were. They told me of other instances that never got any pub due to the Keys way of doing things in regard to tourism and the fact that the attacks were dogs.
Sgt. Hartman
AG
Agree 100%. I fish the surf a lot. I am sure that vibrio is possible but probably about the same risk as a shark bite. In the back bay in warm stagnant water it is a very real concern and I will not get in the water.

Also agree that infection due to the shark's mouth is the main concern .
Aggie_2463
AG
Gunny456 said:

Did diving while at TAMU and had Mickey Stratton as our prof/instructor …. He had said the same. Heard it about bear attacks also. No real scientific evidence backs it up.
But my nephew could not be convinced.

Never thought I'd see old Mickey posted on here - his bday was the other day. I'll have to ask him about his time back then
RGV AG
AG
Call it ignorance or being stupid or whatever, vibro in the surf and open waters has never scared me all that much. Think about all the shrimpers, commercial fishermen, and all kinds of people on the open water/open gulf that don't seem to run a super high incidence of vibro. I worked on boats, both sport and commercial, for years and had all kinds of nasty wounds, cuts, hook throughs, scrapes, gashes and what not and never had an issue. If we had anything for the previous is was either bleach and water, peroxide, and or some generic medical stuff that was blue and came in a half gallon jug.

Now still, brackish, gunk filled water that has runoff from sloughs, creeks, and drainage's and such scare the hell outta me (Texas bays).

Over the years I have known 2 people to die of vibro. Sadly in both cases the individuals were serious alcoholics with ongoing health problems. Both contracted vibro in bay waters and had several open sores and such when they contracted it. Overall health seems to play a pretty important factor in vibro.
MouthBQ98
AG
The vibrio and other bacteria that do similar things are more a warm bay water issue than a beach water issue. It's possible to get an infection on the beach but unlikely. If you are healthy you will typically fight it off, but if you are immune compromised due to age or one of many many drugs that have that side effect, you are at elevated risk.

That looks like a small tiger shark to me, but it could be a bull shark. They will be able to tell from the bite examination and the shape and spacing of the tooth marks.
carl spacklers hat
It is very rare to contract vibrio. Sure, it happens and there's a story or two every year about it but out of the hundreds of thousands of beach visitors annually, there are only a handful of cases. So, unless you have an open wound while at the beach, dousing yourself in hibiclens or peroxide is overkill. As previously stated, most cases where it is contracted is in the backwaters of bays, where the water becomes stagnant because it isn't getting recharged.

Regarding the shark bites yesterday, look at the water condition. Murky, dirty water, which is what you see when many shark attacks occur. My money is on a bull shark being the culprit.
People think I'm an idiot or something, because all I do is cut lawns for a living.
Mowdy Ag
AG
Quote:

Vibrio is present in the Gulf of Mexico year-round, along with several other types of infectious bacteria. Vibrio is most prevalent in warm, brackish, sluggish bays from May through October, and mostly in bays where oysters live. These infections, however, are quite rare when you consider the number of anglers and wade-anglers who fish the coast. The Centers for Disease Control estimates there are 80,000 Vibrio illnesses each year in the United States. About 52,000 of these are estimated to be the result of eating contaminated food.
https://www.caller.com/story/sports/outdoors/2018/07/27/vibrio-and-other-aggressive-flesh-eating-infections-can-prevented/822744002/
RGV AG
AG
The videos I saw yesterday, some sent privately, of the sharks that were cruising were bull sharks. I spent a lot of time on and around, and under, the water in my youth, up through my late 20's. Bull sharks scared the hell outta me more than anything because there are a lot of them and they are like the chihuahuas of sharks, aggressive as hell, but as opposed to a chihuahua they can get big and powerful.
Hungry Ojos
Yes, I also grew up fishing the lower Laguna Madre and can almost guarantee it was a bullshark. I have witnessed first hand, other waders with stringers tied to their waist get bumped by sharks and it's ALWAYS a bull.
SolidRockAg
I was fishing nipple deep about 1/4 mile from where this happened, we saw same fins about 750 yards in front of us
Enviroag02
AG
Crazy to think I used to wakeboard in the Neches river with both bull sharks and gators.
AJ02
AG
I've watched Shark Week every year since it started and I confirm, likely a bull shark.
Ayto Siks
The behavior matches a bull, but the big dorsal on page one looked like a sandbar shark to me.
JFABNRGR
AG
They should have shot that shark from the air when they had the chance. Two people bit in less than hour apart.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
SolidRockAg said:

I was fishing nipple deep about 1/4 mile from where this happened, we saw same fins about 750 yards in front of us
You saw fins at 750 yards?
JFABNRGR
AG
Ducks4brkfast said:

SolidRockAg said:

From a Megaladon
agsalaska
AG
Absolute said:

We are down here this week. We're at the same place yesterday. Decided not to go today. Water is 2 or 4 feet there. The lady in the video pretty much lost her calf muscle. The guy got a thigh gash.

Insane thing is that they didn't close down the beach after the first couple got hit.

Checked the spi beach cams late in the afternoon and people were still swimming.
Just go to Matamoros for the day. It is safer there
Emotional Support Cobra
AG
Obviously attacks on humans here is not common,is there a theory as to why they attacked? Global warming (just kidding)? I don't watch shark week so am not up to speed.if this is an aberration.
Absolute
AG
Heard a theory that conservation policies have been successful and their numbers are up. So that contributes to more interactions.

Locally, in this case, they were saying that the hurricane was pushing them up this way.

Haven't watched shark week in a while so cannot say for sure.
FTAG 2000
AG
They are likely going to be more aggressive hunting with the hurricane approaching
TxAg8908
Flesh eating bacteria infections are EXTREMELY unlikely in beach water. I would be concerned with stagnant hot water in the bays or up the rivers (like arroyo colorado).
ATX_AG_08
AG
ATX_AG_08 said:

Anybody have insight on those electro magnetic shark deterrents and if they work? Snake oil?

I don't wanna risk sounding like a p*ssy, but I'm contemplating getting one for wading the surf. My stringer always ends up floating between my legs and it gives me the heebie jeebies.
Guitarsoup
AG
ATX_AG_08 said:

ATX_AG_08 said:

Anybody have insight on those electro magnetic shark deterrents and if they work? Snake oil?

I don't wanna risk sounding like a p*ssy, but I'm contemplating getting one for wading the surf.

You are 5x more likely to be hit by lightning than bit by a shark. Invest in a lightning rod first
ATX_AG_08
AG
That's true for the average person. If you fish the surf often, I doubt it holds. Plus there's no harm in trying to mitigate risk.

Your risk of getting bit by a snake is extremely low, but many ppl still wear snake boots.
Guitarsoup
AG
Just act smart when you do it.. Don't leave a mesh bag of caught fish around you, bring it out of the water and put it away then go back out. Doubt you ever have a problem.

And I bet those things are snake oil
i is smart
AG
Ducks4brkfast said:

SolidRockAg said:

This is SolidRockAg. Why are you doubting them?
Centerpole90
AG
https://www.instagram.com/reel/C9DRRcdJgCZ/?igsh=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

DPS footage from above shark.
ATX_AG_08
AG
Something I wasn't aware of until recently, the state record bull shark was caught in the bay off mud island. 9' 513 lbs

https://www.underwatertimes.com/news.php?article_id=10164052839

Edit: looks like one that was 7 lbs heavier was caught off bob hall in 2016.
96AustinAg
AG
I Am A Critic said:

Al Bula said:

What a time to be alive! We have multiple shark bite victims and texags is arguing about if the Menzies attracts sharks. It's 2024. Just plug into AI and chill, bros.

It's texags.com because dunningkrueger.com was already taken.

I know not everyone gets it, but that may be my favorite texags post in history
C@LAg
Centerpole90 said:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C9DRRcdJgCZ/?igsh=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

DPS footage from above shark.
bully confirmed.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.