Outdoors
Sponsored by

Shark bite on South Padre!

18,303 Views | 126 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by 88agswin
agdoc2001
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AJ02 said:

I haven't been to South Padre since I was about 6 years old. How deep is that water?? That's one big ass shark.
As far as I remember, not very. There is a huge sand bar that surrounds the island, so as you walk out you get about waist deep, then it gets shallower as you ascend the sand bar until it's about mid-calf, then it starts to get deeper again.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
AgResearch
AG
Yeah that's way past "just rub some dirt on it"

About ralfed when I saw the chunk missing
agsalaska
AG
Man that was my first thought when I saw this thread

Mofos won't cross the border for tacos anymore but they will be back in the water tomorrow. No doubt.
ATX_AG_08
AG
Anybody have insight on those electro magnetic shark deterrents and if they work? Snake oil?
schmellba99
AG
AgResearch said:

The "rescuers" did a grrat job of rubbing dirt on it by dragging her out instead of carrying her.

Odds are she loses the leg because she got flesh eating bacteria, among other things.
RGV AG
AG
The two videos I have seen with sharks in them , I am fairly certain those are bull sharks.

It isn't an oddity to see them in the first gut like that, but usually it is in the fall when they are chasing mullet or skipjacks.

Prior to today there was only like 2 recorded shark attacks on SPI if I am not mistaken. Although I know a guy that was bit in the late 80's at Dolphin Cove but didn't report it.

Over the years I have seen lots of bulls, of various sizes, in the surf. And seen them in shallow at night, but that has always been up towards the east cut and they were very aggressive chasing bait.

Waters are a lot sharkier these last 10 or so years.
AgLA06
AG
More likely staph infection from the hospital.

I have a friend that was attacked by a shark. Almost identical injuries. You wouldn't know until he tells the story. Everything was going fine for him until he came down with staph during recovery.

BlueMiles
AG
I see what looks like an improvised tourniquet below the knee, but is that one on her upper thigh?
Guitarsoup
AG
AgResearch said:

Maybe if you are new army. Walk it off.
BSD
AG
AgLA06 said:

More likely staff infection from the hospital.

I have a friend that was attacked by a shark. Almost identical injuries. You wouldn't know until he tells the story. Everything was going fine for him until he came down with staff during recovery.

Damn. That's some gangsta ass staff to be doing that to him.
sam callahan
Most gruesome part of that picture is the fingernail of the guy holding the phone.
Gunny456
AG
My nephew worked on a dive boat in Cozumel. He said they use to have to ask all the women if it was " there time of the month" before they would let them dive in known shark waters. I never knew if it was BS or not.
Guitarsoup
AG
Gunny456 said:

My nephew worked on a dive boat in Cozumel. He said they use to have to ask all the women if it was " there time of the month" before they would let them dive in known shark waters. I never knew if it was BS or not.
It is BS.
Gunny456
AG
Did diving while at TAMU and had Mickey Stratton as our prof/instructor …. He had said the same. Heard it about bear attacks also. No real scientific evidence backs it up.
But my nephew could not be convinced.
C@LAg
Guitarsoup said:

Gunny456 said:

It is BS.
it is NOT BS.

you ever been around a woman at that time of the month. they barely follow directions when normal. god forbid when they are in the red. he probably did not want to deal with their **** at 100 feet depth.
Gunny456
Guitarsoup
AG
Gunny456 said:

Did diving while at TAMU and had Mickey Stratton as our prof/instructor …. He had said the same. Heard it about bear attacks also. No real scientific evidence backs it up.
But my nephew could not be convinced.
Nut job smoke show Ocean Ramsey has talked several times about how she does shark dives on her period and there is no difference in behavior. She regularly swims with great whites and tigers.

https://instagr.am/p/C8yBZ25PrXx

https://instagr.am/p/C8OQ0uINcak
Al Bula
AG
What a time to be alive! We have multiple shark bite victims and texags is arguing about if the Menzies attracts sharks. It's 2024. Just plug into AI and chill, bros.
I Am A Critic
Al Bula said:

What a time to be alive! We have multiple shark bite victims and texags is arguing about if the Menzies attracts sharks. It's 2024. Just plug into AI and chill, bros.

It's texags.com because dunningkrueger.com was already taken.
Username checks out.
Gunny456
AG
You must be reading something else. Don't see anybody arguing anything.
C@LAg
Gunny456 said:

You must be reading something else. Don't see anybody arguing anything.
i was going to reply, but it is obvious he just wanted something to complain about and the joke comments went over his head.
Gunny456
Al Bula
JD05AG
AG
Great now the whole island's at risk
General Jack D. Ripper
Sitting here in the hospital with my father dying of Lewy body dementia. There are a lot of worse ways to die than a shark attack.
There was this one time at ban camp…
Absolute
AG
We are down here this week. We're at the same place yesterday. Decided not to go today. Water is 2 or 4 feet there. The lady in the video pretty much lost her calf muscle. The guy got a thigh gash.

Insane thing is that they didn't close down the beach after the first couple got hit.

Checked the spi beach cams late in the afternoon and people were still swimming.
MBAR AG
General Jack D. Ripper said:

Sitting here in the hospital with my father dying of Lewy body dementia. There are a lot of worse ways to die than a shark attack.

True. Lost my FIL to a similar situation in November. Thought and prayers.
General Jack D. Ripper
Thanks man. It's been 8 years of hell for our family. He went on hospice about 5 hours ago.
BrazosDog02
AG
schmellba99 said:

AgResearch said:

The "rescuers" did a grrat job of rubbing dirt on it by dragging her out instead of carrying her.

Odds are she loses the leg because she got flesh eating bacteria, among other things.

How do you k ow it has flesh eating bacteria? I only heard of this fairly recently. People act like it's everywhere? Is it? Is it a thing?
Mateo84
AG
BrazosDog02 said:

schmellba99 said:

AgResearch said:

How do you k ow it has flesh eating bacteria? I only heard of this fairly recently. People act like it's everywhere? Is it? Is it a thing?

"Flesh-eating bacteria" is a thing, but it typically comes from open wounds exposed to salt water (the bacteria is in the water) not the sand/soil. She's lucky to be alive - she very well may lose that leg below the knee anyway.
AJ02
AG
Where are you guys finding the actual videos? I see ones the news stations are posting, but they have such a big huge blur on it that you can't see ANYTHING.
General Jack D. Ripper
BrazosDog02 said:

schmellba99 said:

AgResearch said:

I'm sure it can be in the water but a shark bite has huge risks of infection. Their mouths are filthy.
C@LAg
AJ02 said:

Where are you guys finding the actual videos? I see ones the news stations are posting, but they have such a big huge blur on it that you can't see ANYTHING.
search for "South Padre island" on X/Twitter. Scroll down through the results.
BurnetAggie99
BrazosDog02 said:

schmellba99 said:

AgResearch said:

I believe there was a study that most of the Gulf including Texas beaches had flesh eating bacteria. If you have open sores or cuts on your body and getting the water you run a risk. Why it's good to wash with Hibiclens before & after. Also a good idea to have Hibiclens wipes or some Hibiclens in a spray bottle on the beach or boat
BrazosDog02
AG
Not to derail, but, if an average person (not one that had their calf ripped off by a shark) has an open wound or cut and they get that sea water in it….is it something a healthy person can fight off without medical assistance or are you screwed? That's wild as hell.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.