Outdoors
Sponsored by

Zero Turn Recommendation - heavy duty

1,661 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by SGrem
tamc91
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've inherited yard and pasture care at my MIL's 6 acre place. I mow the stuff close to the house with a small rider, but I mow the rest only a few times a year to allow the wildflowers and native stuff to grow. It is too much for the small rider.

My FIL had an old Ford 2-N that is great....when it runs. My MIL has agreed to sell the 2-N and get a heavy duty commercial zero turn for me to use on the 3+ acres that gets rangey.

Any recommendations on the best zero turn that cab handle 1-3 foot tall native pasture?

Anyone interested in a 2-N with a shredder and narrow excavator box blade?

Email in profile.
Serious Lee
trying to mow knee high grass with a zero turn? sounds more like you need a 35 hp tractor w/ a finishing mower.
will.mcg
AG
Since you came here for our opinions: I would tune up the tractor or find someone who you can. If you're not mowing it but a few times a year I wouldn't spend the money on a zero turn. If you're mowing it weekly or a few times a month then sure go for the zero turn. It will be much, much faster than other mowers.

If I'm getting a zero turn for more than an acre it's going to be a 60" cut deck or larger. Try to find a Dixie Chopper with a CAT diesel engine. Ear protection is an extra cost.
Catag94
AG
I agree with Will on the concept of mowing knee high grass with a zero turn. A small tractor and shredder is probably more in order.

My wife and own 2.5 acres of yard with our home. We bought a commercial grade Kubota with a 54" deck about 4 years ago. It is awesome. I now there are other popular brands of commercial mowers, but for the money, this one is excellent.

I disagree on the diesel engines for small equipment like a mower. Yes, they have ample torque and will last a long time. However, the vibration from a diesel is hard on the rest of the small frame which won't outlast the engine anyway IMO. They are also significantly heavier making mowing shortly after a rain much more of an issue.

P.H. Dexippus
AG
Youll get beat up using a ztr on uneven ground. If you go the ztr route, you may want to look at Ferris. They have a reputation for being the best on rough terrain. I have a Hustler brand ztr, but it's for a smooth lawn.
Gunny456
AG
We have about 10 acres of what I could call "yard". About 4 of that is around the house and I cut once a week to 10 days right now. The other 6 I don't cut as often and it can get thick and up to 18" -24" tall. Made up of fescue, Indian grass, etc.
I did have a 37HP Scaggs but it had lots of hours and bad on my back so I got a Ferris 72" with the largest Kawasaki available. Both could cut that tall stuff…but it was, in just my opinion, hard on them.
So what I do is bush hog that taller grass first, then come back with the Ferris set on the high blade setting and finish cut it again.
You can get a PTO driven finish mower for a tractor…. My neighbor has one and it does pretty good in that tall stuff.
My BIL uses and swears by a flail mower over a bush hog….. I just use a regular bush hog/shredder that's 6' wide for the tall "yard" stuff. Got a 7' JD HX7 and 15' bat wing for the pastures.
In summary, for me, I hit the less frequently mowed high tall stuff in the surrounding "yard" with the bush hog first then come back with the Ferris to finish it. Then I "try" to stay on top of it with the Ferris but it's a lot to mow every 7-10 days so it usually gets high on me again and there you go.
Gunny456
AG
Switched from my Scaggs to a Ferris ISX3300 72" due to back surgery… hands down Ferris has the best ride.
cryption
I mow 10 acres of rough pasture with a zero turn. I have a Bad Boy Rogue and I can cut high grass all day without issue. I used to use my tractor with shredder but the ZTR cut my mowing time in half. I added a suspension seat and I don't get bounced around as much. I went with the Bad Boy because the construction is much more heavy duty than the competition - but when this thing needs to be replaced in 20 years I'll get a ferris. That suspension is amazing. These commercial zero turn mowers are tough. I mean real tough. Find a dealer of the brand you like around you and ask for a demo. They'll bring one to your place to try out.

Dogdoc
AG
Take a look at Grasshopper mowers with front mount deck. Mine has a 5 foot deck and a Kubota diesel engine. I mow the yard around the house with a mulching kit, then switch to side discharge for the other 6 acres.
AgResearch
AG
I've mowed Midwest CRP (5' tall switch grass) with my JD Z970R to cut paths to pheasant hunt. 1st pass with deck locked up. 2nd pass to clean it up at 3.5-4". Only reason I've used the zero turn is it's too damn seep of ground to make frequent turns with my utility tractor and brush mower and feel safe.

It will do it but tractor mower makes way more sense 99% of the time.
Bronco6Gen
I've got a Commercial series Bush Hog brand zero turn. The thing defines heavy duty, 7ga steel deck, 3400 HydroGear transaxle, 27hp Kawasaki…no problem with high grass
clarythedrill
Go to your nearest Spartan dealer and get you the commercial grade 54 inch ZTR that has a 35 hp Kawasaki engine. I have a 54 inch with the 23 hp Kawi and it is a brute, so I can only imagine what kind of stuff a 35 hp engine can do when only spinning 54 inches of blades. You could probably mow a forest with that thing.

MSPR for this particular model is in the mid 9Ks.
TxAg20
AG
For 3' high grass, you're in diesel ztr territory at minimum. Kubota and Deere seem to be the best in that class, but they're going to be $25K+ new. A better solution is tractor with brush hog. You can also go with a tractor and finish mower, but the finish is never going to be great after cutting from 3'.
AgResearch
AG
TxAg20 said:

For 3' high grass, you're in diesel ztr territory at minimum. Kubota and Deere seem to be the best in that class, but they're going to be $25K+ new. A better solution is tractor with brush hog. You can also go with a tractor and finish mower, but the finish is never going to be great after cutting from 3'.

Diesel John Deere bogs down way easier than the gas version in tall grass. Have used both side by side. It wasn't even close.

Can't speak to the Kubota.
redaszag99
Kubota Diesel ZTR 60"
fburgtx
What do you think the problem is with the Ford 2n?? Carb?? Worn out/poor compression??

I realize a new ZTR would be cool, but for only 3-ish acres, mowing 2-3 times per year, I don't know if that's really worth $10-$15k, but, to each his own.

(Unless you're going to use it weekly around the house, as well)
P.H. Dexippus
AG
redaszag99 said:

Kubota Diesel ZTR 60"
Might as well bump up to the 72" rear discharge
techno-ag
AG
$27k is a little steep.
EskimoJoe
I use a 104" rear discharge and it flat out gets it done. But if $27k is too steep, this one definitely isn't for you.

P.H. Dexippus
AG
techno-ag said:

$27k is a little steep.
It's not that bad. How about $70-80k?

https://www.lastec.com/wz1000-commercial-zero-turn-mower

Or

https://www.toro.com/product/72144
Chruchie
AG
Gravely
DRAINS_05
AG
Hustler Fast Track SXD 54" is what I just got and it takes me about 3 hours to cut 5-6 acres of yard with some hills. Just bought a new one a week ago. It's a beast and I cut about an acre of waist high grass no problem.
tamc91
AG
I appreciate all the input. It seems like a topic with a lot of strong OB opinions!

I have limited time on the weekends to help on my MIL's place, so having to fix something every time I go is getting a bit tough. I may go the demo route and also try to do a full tune-up on the 2N in the next month or so, which would help us sell if we go that route. We're not sure how long she'll be out there, so that weighs into the decision too.

SGrem
For Bush hogging a few acres twice a year hire it out. Then you can just go visit instead covered in chores and maintenance and storage and fuel going bad and winterizing and juggling rain wet conditions..... just hire it twice a year. Probably $60 - $100 an acre or so.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.