Outdoors
Sponsored by

Power running boards

1,073 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 14 days ago by Jack Squat 83
FayetteAg92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Wife has a 2020 Ford Expedition with power running boards. We have had the car for a few years but recently the passenger side won't go up sometimes. It happens in phases where it works but then doesn't for awhile. Any ideas what may be causing that? I have tried oiling the hinge points but didn't seem to make much difference. Thanks in advance!
08N.Ftw.Ag
AG
Same problem. Soak in pb blaster in all the hinge points. Rinse it off, then hit it with wd40. Repeat if necessary. Use your foot to "help" it up the first few times to get the pb blaster worked in.
normaleagle05
AG
Read the manual. Seems likely to be a lubrication issue. Oil, PB Blaster, and WD-40 seem unlikely to be recommended lubricants. I'd bet it wants a grease.

Or it has a poor electrical connection somewhere.
RCR06
AG
My first thought was electrical because it works sometimes and not others.
Ezra Brooks
AG
We had the same issue - very inconsistent and hard to replicate for the dealer to do anything about. We finally were able to get it to replicate and the dealer replaced the motor and wiring assembly.
CanyonAg77
AG
I'd try the lubrication, but I'd also check any connectors, and clean them, maybe apply dialectic grease
mneisch
AG
Just started having the exact same issue with my wifes 2018 Expedition. Very intermittent and hard to replicate. I'll try lubricating it.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Make sure they're clean and the undercarriage is clean too. My truck does this but only when I have caliche or mud on them and it doesn't take a bunch debris to cause this.
MouthBQ98
AG
Why I never would get them. The underbody of a vehicle is a filthy grimy gritty place and also the most likely place to take damage from road objects or hanging a curb or whatever. It just seemed like they'd for sure break or fail more than be useful. I imagine they need regular cleaning and greasing.
Jack Squat 83
AG
They are definitely not designed for anything that gets off the road. Gravel roads are not their friend and why after 2 shops cleaned up/lubed/inspected them and countless whacks with a hammer out of aggravation I finally took them off a GMC P/U. Annoying as all hell.
Pretty sure most of you don’t know me.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.