Outdoors
Sponsored by

Storing onions and potatoes

1,637 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by GinMan
SharkinAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We did some potatoes and onions for the first time this year in our garden. Harvested some today for the first time. Now I don't know what I'm supposed to do. I've read 10 different things. Am I supposed to rinse them? How long do I let them sit before cooking and storing? I'm in corpus so it's hot and humid.
I appreciate any help as always.
Hehateme1
I can tell you some good follows on youtube to subscribe to for solid advice. Don't wash anything off, onions I know need to cure a bit (leave them laying on the ground for a day or so before storing in cool dry place with plenty air circulation )

I'd listen closely to B183 advice.

Good follows on Youtube are Lazy Dog Farm, Hoss tools and Millennial Gardener

Edit to add, I am good bit further north than you so things are a little different. B183 lives down there so I'd take his advice as gold if I were a beginner
EFE
AG
Tie an onion to your belt
ConfidentAg
AG
I always heard you kept potatoes in the ground until you want to eat them.

May have made that up though.
1991sir
Harvest right freeze dryer. Worth every penny!
zooguy96
If you harvest potatoes, do not clean them. Keep the dirt on them. Keep them in a dark, cooler area.
I know a lot about a little, and a little about a lot.
BurnetAggie99
My grandma pressure cooks everything she grows in her garden and then cans everything. She's done potatoes and onions before.
curry97
AG
When I was a kid, we would stuff pantyhose with onions harvested right out of the ground and hang them in my grandmother's garage!
AgResearch
AG
Let onions cure in sun outside. Keep dry. Then bring inside in onion sacks. We dehydrate 90% of we harvest though.
maddiedou
AG
Everybody above is corrext

I leave onions in sun for two three days and then stack on metal shelves in garage and they will last sometimes till November Now my garage is very insulated so probably 80 degrees is max. But if you do have a cool place that is the best choice

Same with pototoes but no sun pull and put on shelves

Never wash
maddiedou
maddiedou
AG
Oh as I have said before nothing will make you almost throw up as much as a rotten onion
maddiedou
WaldoWings
Put them preferably on a hardware cloth rack somewhere out of the rain with air movement where it gets really hot. If you have to use a table that will work but roll them every few days. Don't cut the stem off or knock the dirt off. After a few weeks when they are harder on the outside, you can knock the dirt off and cut the stems off. Store them either in the refrigerator or on some sort of wire rack. If you are doing the non-refrigerated method, you are gonna struggle to get much storage out of them in your humid climate. I wouldn't expect more than a few month before they get mushy, honestly.
Red Pear Luke (BCS)
Sponsor
AG
maddiedou said:

Oh as I have said before nothing will make you almost throw up as much as a rotten onion

I'm with Gary on this one. Rotten onion stanks!
axan77
AG
Stolen from Facebook…I did this last year, hung onions in a closet and they lasted for months.

SharkinAg
AG
Thanks for all of the input. This has helped a lot.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
axan77 said:

Stolen from Facebook…I did this last year, hung onions in a closet and they lasted for months.

Yup. This x eleventy. Let them sun dry a couple days after pulling up, then hang them with a knot in between. When you need an onion just snip below the knot and you are gtg.
GinMan
AG
The key is to keep them separated. I have a bunch from the RGV. They are in my garage out of the sun and dry. I haven't cleaned them but I did cut the tops off extra long.

I had forgotten about the panty hose…excellent option
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.