Outdoors
Sponsored by

Need to rehome our 10 month old GSP

4,535 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 29 days ago by giddings_ag_06
VickJD05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hey Guys,
I hate having to do this but we need to rehome our 10 month old GSP.

Long story as short as possible.... We had 3 dogs and my wife came home with a puppy. We can't handle 4 dogs.

The dog (Rooster) is great with my 2 year old and 4 month old kiddos. Doesn't really bother our cat. Now for the bad news. He plays extremely rough with other dogs and this (along with protective tendencies) has lead to some fights with the other dogs. He would do best as the only dog in the house.

Asking for help from my Aggie brethren. Not asking for money, just to see that he goes to a good home.

you can email me for pictures or other info at vick 116 at yahoo . com

Thanks
AgLA06
AG
Just to confirm.

Questions:

• This is a German Shorthair Pointer? Just asking because of their faults, aggressiveness usually isn't one I'd expect with the soft mouths.
  • Where are you located?
  • Is the dog trained at all (crate, house, trials)?
  • You got a photo?
AgResearch
AG
Agree. Same with protective. Maybe clingy attention w**** but not aggressive or protective with GSP.

Playing rough happens with puppies. One of the other dogs not adjusting to younger pup??

Anyway best of luck. Very fitting name. Hopefully someone can get it proper training and out on some birds.
VickJD05
AG
  • This is a German Shorthair Pointer? Just asking because of their faults, aggressiveness usually isn't one I'd expect with the soft mouths.
  • Yes.
  • Where are you located?
  • Kyle TX
  • Is the dog trained at all (crate, house, trials)?
  • He is in a crate when we are not home and he is somewhat housebroken, in that he follows the pack outside to do his business
  • You got a photo?
  • I can email you one if you would like
Jabin
Some GSPs can be very aggressive. I used to be on a bird lease with a bunch of other guys. One had GSPs but if hunting with him you had to use his dogs or your dogs but couldn't mix them up because his would attack any other dogs.

I'd never encountered aggressive GSPs before. If I hadn't seen it, I'm not sure I would have believed it.
VickJD05
AG
It is probably some of the other dogs doing. The fights have been between him and our 11 year old GSP and our female Border Collie
BurnetAggie99
Shoot me a picture to my email Burnetag99@gmail dot com

I would have to talk to the rest of the family before saying 100% yes.

I lost my 16 year old Weim that was my hunting bird dog this past February. We have had Weim's & GSP's before so used to the breed. I'm in Bertram so I'm not far away. We live on a ranch in Oatmeal so plenty of space.
TacosaurusRex
BurnetAggie99 said:

I lost my 16 year old Weim that was my hunting bird dog this past February. We have had Weim's & GSP's before so used to the breed. I'm in Bertram so I'm not far away. We live on a ranch in Oatmeal so plenty of space.
Man I hope this works out. From the sound of your place, that dog could hit the jackpot.

As far as aggressive GSP's go, it does happen. Mine is a real a**hole to other male dogs he does not respect. That's the best way I can describe it. Perfect with female dogs, even lets the other girls have all they want from his food bowl. He would never do anything to a human besides lick their face, great with kids pulling his ears and picking his nose, but if a male dog comes up and doesn't pass the sniff test it is on.
"If you are reading this, I have passed on from this world — not as big a deal for you as it was for me."
T. Boone Pickens
Beckdiesel03
AG
Our friend's GSP can be a real B to our labs, so yes it can happen. And my labs are lazy and docile so don't instigate it. It happens.
VickJD05
AG
I think your dog and mine have a similar issue. It's a hierarchy thing
WestTexAg12
AG
My GSP was kind of the same way. He was only aggressive when packed up against by other dogs or we went hunting with another intact dog (when he wasn't fixed). Once it was out of their system, he was fine.
He's not aggressive anymore. Pretty chill.
WestTexAg12
AG
TacosaurusRex said:

BurnetAggie99 said:

Man I hope this works out. From the sound of your place, that dog could hit the jackpot.

As far as aggressive GSP's go, it does happen. Mine is a real a**hole to other male dogs he does not respect. That's the best way I can describe it. Perfect with female dogs, even lets the other girls have all they want from his food bowl. He would never do anything to a human besides lick their face, great with kids pulling his ears and picking his nose, but if a male dog comes up and doesn't pass the sniff test it is on.

I would agree with this. That is 100% my GSP.

Even loves little dogs. Loves the hell out of kids and people. Hates German Shepherds and select labs/goldens/doodle males. A lot of it is the way the other dog comes up to him too. He doesn't take kindly to barking dogs in his face.
TacosaurusRex
WestTexAg12 said:

TacosaurusRex said:

BurnetAggie99 said:

Even loves little dogs. Loves the hell out of kids and people. Hates German Shepherds and select labs/goldens/doodle males. A lot of it is the way the other dog comes up to him too. He doesn't take kindly to barking dogs in his face.

Sounds like it. My GSP's best friend is an intact male weiner dog, best friends. Inseparable when they're together. Another large male dog barking in his face and he won't back down, it doesn't matter how large the other male is.

It sounds like we need another dogs of the OB thread. Good luck with your dog, OP.
"If you are reading this, I have passed on from this world — not as big a deal for you as it was for me."
T. Boone Pickens
TdoubleH
AG
Text me pics and any other info

Eight on 7 - six 5 zero - five zero 9 one
Corps_Ag12
AG
WestTexAg12 said:

TacosaurusRex said:

BurnetAggie99 said:

Eh, I beg to differ haha

He's still a bit aggressive around some uncut dogs
Hoosegow
Only dog to have ever attacked me was a GSP. I was a kid hunting (so young not really hunting but walking) with my dad and uncle. I was scared of the dog since he was aggressive. I walked past from a distance. Dog mad a bee-line to me and attacked me. I thought Dad was going to kill it.

Hell of a quail dog, though.
txags92
AG
Hoosegow said:

Only dog to have ever attacked me was a GSP. I was a kid hunting (so young not really hunting but walking) with my dad and uncle. I was scared of the dog since he was aggressive. I walked past from a distance. Dog mad a bee-line to me and attacked me. I thought Dad was going to kill it.

Hell of a quail dog, though.
He should have. No matter how good of a quail dog he was, nobody should tolerate a dog that attacks a kid from a distance unprovoked. That should be a dead dog 100 times out of 100.
JeremiahJohnson
AG
My GSP is attached to the hip of my 18 month old son. They are inseparable. When my son is asleep the dog is trying to get in my lap. He's a perfect dog for kids.
aggiebrother33
Got a half GSP, half Brittany and she's the best with my 4&7 yo kids. Still chews a bunch but an extremely sweet pup!
TxAgPreacher
S
My brother has a GSP, and his attacked their other dog, and bit my sister. Very protective over food. For what its worth, I don't think its that uncommon.

Not saying its a breed thing.
Layne Staley
AG
LOVE my GSP. She plays hard with one of my Boston terriers that is recessive but the other one she keeps her distance. Haven't had food aggression at all but from the day we got her in December we've taken her food bowl away all the time and given it back to her when we decide very shortly after. She knows she is still going to get it.

Great family dog. Bird training starting soon.

Wish I could take this one!
Hoosegow
This was the 70's. I only got a little bit bit. Not everyone was senstitive back then. The dog was never a "pet." It was a hunting dog that was pretty much kept away from people due to its nature (not the breed perhaps, just the dog). I learned to never get close to that dog and never trust a dog you don't really know. I learned a life lesson. Dad kept his relationship with his brother. The dog didn't die and got to keep doing what it was bred to do.
WestTexAg12
AG
Corps_Ag12 said:

WestTexAg12 said:

TacosaurusRex said:

BurnetAggie99 said:

Eh, I beg to differ haha

He's still a bit aggressive around some uncut dogs

He just hates your dog (hence the bolder part, this is your dog). My SIL brought her Golden this last week and they were best friends. Not a single snarl once from either of them.
txags92
AG
Hoosegow said:

This was the 70's. I only got a little bit bit. Not everyone was senstitive back then. The dog was never a "pet." It was a hunting dog that was pretty much kept away from people due to its nature (not the breed perhaps, just the dog). I learned to never get close to that dog and never trust a dog you don't really know. I learned a life lesson. Dad kept his relationship with his brother. The dog didn't die and got to keep doing what it was bred to do.
Yeah, I am not the ultrasensitive type about these things either and will usually side with the animal when a kid does something dumb like whacking a dog with a stick (which is how my friend got bit by my dog trying to break up a fight between his dog and mine in the 70s). But if a dog breaks from what it is doing to attack a kid who is actively avoiding being near it, it is a dangerous dog. At the very least, a dog like that should not be off a leash around young kids.
panag
AG
Yeah a dog attacks my kid unprovoked and it's getting hot lead therapy.
Hoosegow
To be fair, I was probably the only kid it was ever around until my cousins were born.
Build It
AG
Our GSP tried being alpha with the wife as a 3-4 month old. She had to teach it she was boss. Probably took a month. She either held him down for 30 seconds to a minute, or picked up his front legs of the ground while standing over him.

She never got bit.
harge57
AG
I had a GSP that I would not call aggressive, but he never backed down from an aggressive dog. He was an intact alpha male. He had issues with a couple different dogs, but those dogs seemed to be the instigators and had issues with most dogs, and he just wouldn't put up with their crap.

He was never people aggressive.

robbio
FYI... all dogs have a keen respect for electricity
VickJD05
AG
Bump

He's still available. Any help is appreciated
whoop_2004
I picked up Rooster last Wednesday and he has been such a good pup. Typical active GSP, but he's a happy boy running around the backyard chasing squirrels before coming inside to pass out and snore on the floor.

Have taken him on a few outings and he's still quite loud when he sees other dogs. He's already used to my wife's cat and doesn't even bother her anymore.

Can't thank VickJD05 enough for giving me the opportunity to have this silly dog!

giddings_ag_06
AG
I love a happy ending.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.