Outdoors
Sponsored by

Dog ate pecans

1,719 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by TXCAV
Roy D Mercer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
My daughters dog that weighs about 35 or 40 pounds ate we think about 8 or 10 pecans. Is that something that she should worry about?
B-1 83
AG
My dogs loved them. As a kid, our dogs would crack a few on their own.
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
WestGalvestonAggie
Shouldn't be a problem, as long as it's not a lot of them. In theory anyway. Watch him, as long as he doesn't show any negative signs it'll probably be okay. Pecans aren't good for them though so keep an eye out.
bmfvet
AG
An obstruction is possible if they ate them whole, pulled a few out of dogs over the years.
‘99
Bigballin
AG
Our dog growing up would eat pecans like a squirrel. He would crack the shells while holding the pecan in his front paws and just eat the good stuff. Dog lived just shy 17 years.
Roy D Mercer
Thank you everyone for the responses, she's going to keep a close eye on her hound, but I bet it will be okay
Deerdude
Can't keep my Boykin from eating them. He'll be fine
AggieArcher17
AG
My Jack Russell eats them like candy. Never been an issue for him.
toolshed
AG
Our dog won't quit eating acorns. I've read they aren't good for him. But other than maybe some redness on his belly and nose, he doesn't show any issues. Hopefully he's not killing his kidneys! Not sure how to keep him from doing it.
BlackGoldAg2011
AG
This was my lab this year, would go out and just eat the acorns by the pound and kept making himself sick. I got so sick of it that my solution was I told my 3 young kids (3, 5, & 7) that I would pay them a penny for every 2 acorns they collected out of the backyard. I think over the course of acorn season I shelled out 10-20 bucks just for our little 2k sq-ft back yard
AsburyAg
AG
I was going to say you better not let that dog eat pecans. Those suckers are about $12 a pound right now.
Deerdude
AsburyAg said:

I was going to say you better not let that dog eat pecans. Those suckers are about $12 a pound right now.

Still cheaper than some quality food on the shelves, unfortunately.
Pappy Van Winkle
AG
Well, that don't scare me none. How big 'un ole boy are ya?
TXCAV
Man, that's nuts. Hope everything comes out alright
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.