Outdoors
Sponsored by

Pray for the Panhandle (fires)

37,136 Views | 207 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by TacosaurusRex
CanyonAg77
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
For those wanting to help, this is from the County Extension Office

https://www.facebook.com/tanya.holloway.14

Quote:

Many friends have begun to reach out in regard to the fires in the Texas Panhandle and Canadian. Many of you are wondering how to help. At this point we will begin assessing damages. Andy Holloway and I already know that we have lost a number of homes, livestock, fences etc. The best way to help at this time will be the following:

1. Send checks or gift cards. I will post the way to do that as the morning unfolds.

2. Please DO NOT send clothes or furniture.

3. There will be a list of livestock needs that Andy will be publishing

4. As other needs become apparent we will post those. We will also post where supplies and money can be sent as those things are put in place.

Thank you for your love and concern for the residents of Canadian and all the Texas Panhandle towns as we begin to wrap our heads around this disaster.
CanyonAg77
AG
North Plains Electric Co-op

Deerdude
CanyonAg77 said:

B-1 83 said:

CanyonAg77 said:

If there are any wind or solar farms in the area, those are going to be some heavy-duty transmission lines
I was referring to "barbed wire", but I know you've seen transmission lines whip and spark above a big fire, and you know that happened, too.
Ooops, wrong wire. If the "bob" wire is on cedar posts, it's done for. On metal posts, depends on how hot the wire was for how long. Could allow the wire to stretch, could also bake off the galvanization.

My experience has always been that the barbed wire is done. Can't restretch and will rust out in a few years.
Hoosegow
t-posts too.
eric76
AG
UninformedInternetBlogger said:

A favorable direction in fighting a fire like is for it to be blown back into the "black". If wind drive the head of the fire back on itself, the fuel is already gone and fire movement is stopped or greatly slowed.
A former firefighter who is watching all this closely just told me that the grass on the north side never stopped spreading -- it was just spreading slowly. So now that the wind is from the south, the north side is now the leading edge of the fire.

He also said it is now up to 850,000 acres.
hihozippo
AG
The Veterinary Emergency Team has been deployed to help TX Task Force One and the search and rescue dogs. Then got a second request for help with residential pets. Praying for everyone up that way.
vmiaptetr
AG
Very sad, but when I saw OP's pic…

eric76
AG
eric76
AG
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Smokehouse now at 850k ac
WestTxWood88
AG
Buddy of mine is on the ground with Tx Fire Service today and they told him it's expected that total acreage will be in excess of 1 million acres
FamousAgg
It all depends on the individual characteristics of the fire. What's favorable on one side of a 500,000 acre fire may not be good for the other side.

If they can get enough resources they can create back burns, set anchor points and start to create fire blocks. Much easier said than done especially a fire of this magnitude. This is a once in a lifetime fire, hopefully.
SoTxAg
AG
Were these fires all started by natural causes?
Deerdude
Really tough one. Read yesterday that winds were at 65mph. Most brush trucks I've been around might do 45 on a good day.
eric76
AG
UninformedInternetBlogger said:

It all depends on the individual characteristics of the fire. What's favorable on one side of a 500,000 acre fire may not be good for the other side.

If they can get enough resources they can create back burns, set anchor points and start to create fire blocks. Much easier said than done especially a fire of this magnitude. This is a once in a lifetime fire, hopefully.
I remember as a kid a few times when there was a fire in my community, nearly the entire community would show up with wet gunny sacks to help control the fire. Of course, those fires were generally less than an acre or two. Without that, though, the fires could have turned out real bad.
CanyonAg77
AG
SoTxAg said:

Were these fires all started by natural causes?

I don't know what natural cause could have set them off

But current worry is stopping them, investigate later
JFABNRGR
AG
Fire is almost impossible to stop with winds that high unless it turns it back onto the black.
Hewey Calloway
AG
I've been watching flight aware throughout the day and have noticed there doesn't appear to be much air support on these fires. Are they not able to fly right now? Just wondering the reasoning behind it.
WhoopN06
Best guess is there is not surface water for air assets to leverage.
Mark Fairchild
AG
Praying for fellow Texans being impacted by these fires.
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
WestTxWood88
AG
I am hearing no tanker planes but fire service is using Helicopters and pulling water out of Lake Meredith
Hewey Calloway
AG
There have been a couple of air tractors but that's it. I've seen more air support on smaller fires in the hill country in the past.
SteveBott
AG
National news framed the loss as large as the state of Rhode Island.
WhoopN06
That's good news then. Was worried there wasn't water in Meredith to grab..
txags92
AG
Hewey Calloway said:

There have been a couple of air tractors but that's it. I've seen more air support on smaller fires in the hill country in the past.

Wouldnt be surprised if the winds are too high and gusty to fly the larger planes that close to the ground.
txags92
AG
WhoopN06 said:

They actually had a wet year in the panhandle last year, which is part of what is fueling this. Meredith is at 43.5% full. It was 30% full a year ago.
ChoppinDs40
AG
txags92 said:

WhoopN06 said:

They actually had a wet year in the panhandle last year, which is part of what is fueling this. Meredith is at 43.5% full. It was 30% full a year ago.

One of the wettest on record. When I drove up through there this summer it was green everywhere. Not brown and dusty like normal.

Comancheria was flourishing.
B-1 83
AG
Perhaps as time goes by and we get more ways to donate, staff will sticky the info at the top.
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
Doctor51
AG
It was a long day. Hauled feed to friends.

wildcat08
AG
Crap!
milner79
Heartbreaking.
TH36
So when a cow's udder is like that, is there any saving them or are they toast from future infection?
schmellba99
AG
Looks like potentially some rain/snow up there tomorrow, as much as 1". Won't completely kill the fire, but should help. Hoping it is a slow moving system that brings little wind with it.
BenTheGoodAg
AG
It is snowing pretty good on my drive to work this morning. Praise God.
lawless89

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.