Outdoors
Sponsored by

Feral hog poison begins this spring.

3,301 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by one safe place
mhnatt
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Mixed feelings. I'm thinking it's best to do what we can while there's hope to trimming the population back, but sure do enjoy my hog hunting. I could see a day, maybe in a decade or so where I'd actually miss seeing these nasty fellas on occasion.

https://www.expressnews.com/news/article/kaput-feral-hog-bait-returns-18669858.php
ranchag04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I will not miss them one bit.
Muddyfeet
How long do you want to ignore this user?
3 of us killed 77 one day last year while harvesting rice. They could spread it from Orange to Victoria with airplanes and I wouldn't care.
Gunny456
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I would 2nd that 1000 times. Would not bother me if there was not a single one.
one safe place
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I have been hoping for this to come out. Can't wait.
FSGuide
How long do you want to ignore this user?
From the article:

""If the landowner follows a very specific application protocol, actually teaches the pigs how to feed out of a hog-specific feeder and integrates a nontoxic bait over several weeks before they ever introduce a hot bait, the product does kill the pigs effectively," Texas Wildlife Services director Mike Bodenchuk said after the research was publicized"

Doesn't sound like they're just gonna let landowners broadcast it on their property.
Northside1876
How long do you want to ignore this user?
txags92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
FSGuide said:

From the article:

""If the landowner follows a very specific application protocol, actually teaches the pigs how to feed out of a hog-specific feeder and integrates a nontoxic bait over several weeks before they ever introduce a hot bait, the product does kill the pigs effectively," Texas Wildlife Services director Mike Bodenchuk said after the research was publicized"

Doesn't sound like they're just gonna let landowners broadcast it on their property.
If it is sold on the shelf, they won't stop it. And there are going to be lots of dead scavengers, predators, and other collateral kills of non-target species. I am all for getting rid of hogs, but I am going to hate to see the rest of the effects.
AggieRob93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Agree, I expect unintended consequences will be a major issue.
tamc93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
txags92 said:

FSGuide said:

From the article:

If it is sold on the shelf, they won't stop it. And there are going to be lots of dead scavengers, predators, and other collateral kills of non-target species. I am all for getting rid of hogs, but I am going to hate to see the rest of the effects.
Reading the article. it indicates you will need to at least have your license. That should eliminate some wide spread use.

The bait containing warfarin, a blood thinner that is poisonous to hogs, was registered for statewide use Feb. 1 for people with a pesticide applicator license. Texas Agricultural Commissioner Sid Miller fully supports its use in the state.
FJB, FPA, and FAZ
wink1989
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
There is extensive published literature done at Cornell university proving that residual risk to scavengers feeding on poisoned carcasses is almost nonexistent.
mhnatt
How long do you want to ignore this user?
wink1989 said:

There is extensive published literature done at Cornell university proving that residual risk to scavengers feeding on poisoned carcasses is almost nonexistent.

I was planning on one day soon trying my hand at processing a young one during a winter kill. But not really going that route after this, regardless of any studies on residuals.
txags92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
wink1989 said:

There is extensive published literature done at Cornell university proving that residual risk to scavengers feeding on poisoned carcasses is almost nonexistent.
"When used as directed…" you are probably right. It won't be used as directed.
txags92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
mhnatt said:

wink1989 said:

There is extensive published literature done at Cornell university proving that residual risk to scavengers feeding on poisoned carcasses is almost nonexistent.

I was planning on one day soon trying my hand at processing a young one during a winter kill. But not really going that route after this, regardless of any studies on residuals.
I think the risk to scavengers is not going to be from eating part of a hog killed feeding at a specially made hog bait station The risk to scavengers and other predators will come from eating a dead raccoon or squirrel that came in to get the bait and wasn't accounted for in the modeling studies.
Mas89
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Australia has been using the chemical for decades with great success. Tpwd has at least 10 years of studies.
No more excuses.
96ags
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Mas89 said:

Australia has been using the chemical for decades with great success. Tpwd has at least 10 years of studies.
No more excuses.
This. You guys worried about tertiary kills really need to read up on how this stuff works.
Animal Eight 84
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Excellent news!
Wild hogs rooting have destroyed my pastures & pecan orchard. You can't imagine how much damage 20+ hogs roaming through can do in 2-3 nights.

My neighbor has 600 acres mostly in heavy live oak & native pecans - he likes to bow hunt hogs and has indirectly created a hog breeding sanctuary.
chris1515
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've wondered if you could make a feeder for something like this that is limited to only really little pigs. That way you're targeting the dumbest of the herd that aren't going to be as wary as the older and bigger pigs.
wink1989
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Correctomundo! That is why I made the comment that I did. Thinking….. maybe somebody might actually go look at published literature and educate themselves. Should have known better.
wink1989
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What will really surprise people is that millions of people take the same "drug" every day to control blood from forming clots. Blood thinners. Coumadin.



Deus Vult
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Mas89 said:

Australia has been using the chemical for decades with great success. Tpwd has at least 10 years of studies.
No more excuses.
TPWD, the same ones that turned a blind eye and allowed CWD to become established in the wild deer population, is that the TPWD that you are talking about?
schmellba99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
wink1989 said:

What will really surprise people is that millions of people take the same "drug" every day to control blood from forming clots. Blood thinners. Coumadin.




I'm not in the habit of eating people though.

And while I get that the studies and what not show this is pretty safe.....after the last few years, I'm skeptical AF of anything medical related that any government agency spits out. Plus, it's not like we have this rounding history of success when any large scale program is implemented to try to control an invasive species.
96ags
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
schmellba99 said:

wink1989 said:

What will really surprise people is that millions of people take the same "drug" every day to control blood from forming clots. Blood thinners. Coumadin.




I'm not in the habit of eating people though.

And while I get that the studies and what not show this is pretty safe.....after the last few years, I'm skeptical AF of anything medical related that any government agency spits out. Plus, it's not like we have this rounding history of success when any large scale program is implemented to try to control an invasive species.
Texas whitetail deer would like to point out the screw worm eradication program.
one safe place
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I have done at least a preliminary look at this. As you know, it was out there some time back and then pulled due to concerns some had. I watched a video about Kaput and based on it and what I've read, you have to have your applicator's license to buy it and have to use special feeders when you put it out.

One study showed very little impact on nontarget animals. I didn't realize that it takes so long for it to work but once it does it is lights out for the hogs. Sort of amazing how it turns the fatty parts of a hog such a brilliant blue color.

One video showed them baiting the feeder for a few weeks and the hogs got used to robbing corn from the feeder. But once they replaced the corn with Kaput, they shut down feeding. As I understand it, Kaput only has a fraction of the poison (Warfarin) that rat poison contains.

Not sure why, it wasn't due to any research on my end, but when it first came out I thought it was something you put out and boom, dead hogs. While there may be more recent studies, what I saw showed a pretty long process and issues with having them eat the poison. Didn't appear to be much of an issue with nontarget things. I have no idea how they would enforce you using specialty feeders, but if you do it is going to be an expensive process if you have a large area to deal with.

I have no doubt that some will figure out a way to blend the Warfarin (via rat poison) into something the hogs will more readily consume.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.