Outdoors
Sponsored by

Fishing Lure Collection

3,315 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by Ag_07
AggieJames09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have about 250 fishing lures. What would the OB say this collection is worth roughly? I am thinking about selling if someone is interested.

bassmaster07
AG
Without boxes not much really.
nealan
I can tell you like crank baits
SunrayAg
AG
I think I left every one of those stuck to the stumps in the bottom of our tank.
DG96
AG
Reminds me of some of my crank baits from the 80's. Brings back some good memories.
I probably had 75 % of those crack baits at one time. Those bombers and bagleys were some weapons back in the day. The thin fin was a favorite too. Caught my biggest bass at the time on one like that on choke canyon.
It was just over 10 lbs. One of favorite days fishing. Cool baits.
dr_boogs
AG
Thanks for posting. Lots of great memories in that box. I had a bunch of those back in the day too. The topwater chugger, Redfin rapala, and the tiny torpedos were lethal on our home water. I had a couple of those long skinny topwaters w the double props too. If one is good….teo must be better. I seemed to hang my crank baits and lose them as soon as I bought them, so my box was thin on the deep divers.
docb
AG
Yea I just felt like I walked back to the early 80s fishing the big Sam. Awesome memories! Only things you are missing is a snagless Sally and some jelly worms.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
No expert on this, but something tells me $1000.
dtkprowler
AG
Your first picture stands out as possibly having a few more collectible lures. The heddon Spook and what appears to be a ton of Pico Perches. Maybe those Smithwick Devil Horses? Take a look through and see if that is what those are and they will have a bit more value than just bulk fishing lures.

My dad is an antique lure collector and specializes in pico perches. I'll ask him to take a look!
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
You guys sound like joe dirt talking about fireworks

Aggieangler93
AG
I have a buddy that may want those Pico perch.
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
cupofjoe04
AG
Years ago, I acquired a bunch of old fishing reels for $100. Once I got them home, I discovered some gems, most still on original boxes with extra parts. I took them to an antique fishing auction/expo in Houston. I auctioned them individually, and cleared about $1200.

The people running the auction were SUPER helpful. They could clearly tell I had no idea what I was doing, and gave me great advice, and helped me every step of the way.

So, you might consider googling to see if there is an antique fishing lure auction anywhere near you.
Tagguy
AG
Tree Fiddy
ghollow
AG
Some of those bring back some great childhood memories
So the greatest civilization is one where all citizens are equally armed and can only be persuaded, never forced. It removes force from the equation... and that's why carrying a gun is a civilized act.
ShackelfordAg99
Without a Hula Popper or Lucky 13... not too much.
TarponChaser
Unfortunately probably not worth much. Besides a few in the first pic nothing looks older than the 1980's. In my experience you've got to get stuff from 1950's or earlier.
AggieJames09
AG
One gentleman reached out and bought 19 selected lures for $200 just from pics. He might know something.

One "collector" offered me 60 dollars for all. 90% of them don't have a brand name on them and not finding a ton info online.
TarponChaser
AggieJames09 said:

One gentleman reached out and bought 19 selected lures for $200 just from pics. He might know something.

One "collector" offered me 60 dollars for all. 90% of them don't have a brand name on them and not finding a ton info online.

And how many of the 19 were in that first pic? I'm betting at least 14 of them.

Check out this site for some info on vintage lures:
https://earlyfishinglures.com/products

AggieJames09
AG
5 from first pic.

I wasn't expecting to make a killing, I know the majority of the lures are from the 90s
Ag_07
AG

I kid I kid...Cool collection.

I'm almost more impressed with the tidiness and organization of the tackle boxes more so than the lures.
DatTallArchitect
AG
AggieJames09 said:

Don't ever rule out nostalgia. If there was something I couldn't find that reminded me of the fishing trips with my grandpa, I'd definitely pay more than it was worth.

Then again, he may have gotten a bargain from you on those lures.
dtkprowler
AG
Confirmed with my dad that those are pico perches and appear in pretty good condition and likely from the 50s-60s and possibly 70s. He asked what you would want for them. Depending on condition they range from $5-$10.

He also said some are pico chicks and pico diggers. They aren't worth as much but he is still interested just because he buys up any he ever finds. Any idea what you would have to have for any picos you have still available?
O.G.
I worked for a while in Dowagiac Michigan, where Heddon lures used to be made. I believe they were either eventually bought out or sold off & the lures started being made over seas.

However, the origional lures from there are collectable, at least according to the Dowagiac townfolk & I wouldn' mind having one from there if anyone has one they want to get rid of.
TarponChaser
All this being said, with the price of crankbaits and other lures today somebody could buy a bunch of those more recent lures for $5 apiece and still come out way ahead vs. buying new.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
They probably won't work though. Fish are smarter now
TarponChaser
Charismatic Megafauna said:

They probably won't work though. Fish are smarter now

Nah, they've forgotten what all the old stuff looks like and have become conditioned to reject the new stuff. What's old is new again.
AggieJames09
AG
He can have all 18 Picos for $75.
Or I'll sell roughly all 200 plus lures with a bunch of plastic worms for $500

I live in New Braunfels, travel to SA, Austin, Fort Worth, Houston and Del Rio often.
Ag_07
AG
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.