Outdoors
Sponsored by

Using a sawzall/reciprocating saw to quarter deer

3,942 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by Hodor
Fishin Texas Aggie 05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yes, this is probably the lazy way to do it, but dang it works well. Are there any of these that are more geared to meat processing?

I ask because the old craftsman we are using is hard to clean and the socket where the blade connects is very hard to manipulate. I think the dewalt saw looks nice, and I have dewalt tools, but don't know if that would make my problem of not being able to clean the connection any easier.

Anyone have useful information on the topic?
agrams
AG
I think this thread would be much more interesting if you didn't specify deer, and just asked what's the best saw for quartering up bodies..

and I have nothing of value to add other than a smarta$$ comment.. I am sure most everyone is better at dressing and quartering a deer than me, but i did see one guy who could break down every joint with a small 2-3" knife from the wrists to the head faster than I could with any power tools.
malenurse
AG
agrams said:

I think this thread would be much more interesting if you didn't specify deer, and just asked what's the best saw for quartering up bodies..

and I have nothing of value to add other than a smarta$$ comment.. I am sure most everyone is better at dressing and quartering a deer than me, but i did see one guy who could break down every joint with a small 2-3" knife from the wrists to the head faster than I could with any power tools.
We are still talking about deer, right?
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But, it's still on the list.
TikkaShooter
The connection point will gum up with all the bone/fat/meat from the sawing. I think our crew has had a bunch of diff saw brands, and they all connect the same way. Just have to clean them with hot water/soap right after use.

Side note: Its actually much nice to learn where joints are located, and remove the rear quarters with just a knife. Find that ball joint, just off the hips, run your blade through it and the rear quarters are off. Fronts easy. Tenders. Straps. Then accessory meat. Just a thought.
raidernarizona
The ball joint is the easy part for me. I find the SawZall handy for the neck roasts and even the elbow, as those are always trickier for me with just a knife.
SGrem
Loppers for the win.
Mas89
AG
A good pair of long handled loppers work great. I use Stihl brand. They cut any bone/ joint on deer.
Prefer a reciprocating saw for larger game like elk. My last elk went to the processor in the back of a rented Chevy Tahoe after being quartered with the recip saw.
Yesterday
AG
The Saudi Royal family has experience with this. A good Bone Saw is the way to go.
agrams
AG
el gato18
AG
Maybe try one of the electric fish cleaning knives with a serrated blade. Would imagine they are designed to be cleaned easier
Gunny456
AG
We have to do so many due to MLD's and had exotics and elk and a few species of super exotics that we had to come up with the easiest and fastest methods.
First we use electrical cable cutters instead of tree loppers. The cable cutters are stronger and will not dull as quick as loppers cutting bone.
We found the Milwaukee cordless M18 sawz-all to be the best as where the blade connects is very easy to clean and you can even squirt water on it without getting it into the tool.
We use the cable cutter for legs/feet and smaller bone.
Use the sawz-all for cutting the hips and pelvis from the backbone then to split the two hindquarters.
Then use sawz-all to go down backbone to get the racks of ribs and to cut off the heads from the backbone.
I use a 8" blade that is the carbide tip for wood that has nails in it that is medium tooth.
Trout
I prefer a knife and breaking down at joints. Everyone at my lease uses a sawzall. It's definitely faster. I just don't like all the bone fragments and sharp edges of bone it leaves when I am processing and reach into cooler .
Gunny456
AG
That's why we only use it to split the two hindquarters… there is no sharp edges there. And it's the only way you are going to get the ribs off the backbone…. And nobody keeps the spinal column for anything.
We always remove the shoulders with knife.
Fishin Texas Aggie 05
AG

I hang deer upside down on single tree and skin down past the crotch. then I cut the head off with the saw. After that I skin out the front legs. Then I just work the hide off without splitting it.

I gut the deer without splitting the sternum and just pull the guts out and let them fall in a bucket. Before it comes out I save the heart.

Then I remove the tenderloins and back straps

I am super liberal with the amount of leg I take off and throw away. I don't want the tough meat that's all sinew on the bottom of the deer leg. And it saves room the cooler. But I remove all the meat off the flanks.

Then I cut the backbone below the hams with the saw. And make 2 cuts on each side in the bottom of the pelvis to remove that wedge of bone

The last cut is through the middle of top of the pelvis

Then I use the saw to cut just above the Achilles tendon, I want as little bone in the cooler

That's just how I do it
Fishin Texas Aggie 05
AG
The M18 is basically an angle grinder?
Fishin Texas Aggie 05
AG
https://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-2719-20-FUEL-Hackzall-Black/dp/B076JHJKR8/ref=asc_df_B076JHJKR8&mcid=cf839c095d603c12887f30094ccf4c69?tag=bngsmtphsnus-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=80882941400099&hvnetw=s&hvqmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=m&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4584482468139643&psc=1

Or is this the model?
goatchze
AG
Gunny456 said:

That's why we only use it to split the two hindquarters… there is no sharp edges there. And it's the only way you are going to get the ribs off the backbone…. And nobody keeps the spinal column for anything.
We always remove the shoulders with knife.

Maybe I'm different, but I get the ribs off without power equipment. So a sawzall is not the only way.

I hang head down. Take everything apart as it went together. Last pieces hanging are the hind quarters and the ribs. Ribs come off with gentle taps from a sharp hatchet down the spine. Hind quarters come apart with a knife, leaving only the hip and spine, which are still connected.
Gunny456
AG
No. M18 Fuel Sawz-All. M18 is the 18volt battery format that Milwaukee uses. They M18 tools of every type. Drills, Impacts, circular saws etc.
Gunny456
AG
Milwaukee M18 18v Sawzall. Model 2621-20. What we use.
Gunny456
AG
Sounds good. I was answering OP's inquiry about using a Sawzall. All kinds of ways to get the ribs off. Including a hand saw, hatchet, Sawzall. Lots of folks don't even mess with WT ribs or just bone them out as well and don't cut them off the spine at all.
ldg397
AG
Mas89 said:

A good pair of long handled loppers work great. I use Stihl brand. They cut any bone/ joint on deer.
Prefer a reciprocating saw for larger game like elk. My last elk went to the processor in the back of a rented Chevy Tahoe after being quartered with the recip saw.

Agree with this specifically the corona loppers either 2 1/2 or 3" work really really well for this. They wouldn't work well to split the hams but I usually leave mine together. Works great for legs and spine. I have tried the sawsall but I don't like how it throws chips into my meat.
Independence H-D
Somewhat relevant. A buddy sent me this breakdown video specifically so I could see the hind quarter butchering. I managed to replicate it fairly well and am very pleased with the results.

MrWonderful
AG
Limb loppers are just too easy to make anything else worth fooling with imo.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
I prefer to use loppers. Outside of sharpening them or someone not putting them back in cleaning shed to trim limbs with, they're just too reliable and easy to use.

We also have a cheap electric reciprocating saw from Harbor Freight that is like 12 years old and going strong. It really only gets used when someone doesn't have loppers or to take off the skull cap for bucks or rams. Definitely need to keep you eye on debris building up...
tamc93
AG
I started using the saws all method several years ago.

I basically rough process (debone/straps) everything that night/night morning and bring it home to finish out when the weather gets colder.

Those old germans and polacks would have done the same if they had the technology and money.
Kamala and Ann Richards have something in common...both wh..
FJB 2.0 (KH)
flashplayer
AG
We have used the older version of Dewalts reciprocating saw (the 12v) for processing deer the last 15 or so years and we have not once cleaned it afterwards. Let it sit out and dry to jerky dust and it will clean itself the next time you use it on brush or whatever you're cutting.
Horse with No Name
All of the options listed work well enough, but if using a recip saw, you should do yourself a favor and get an actual meat/bone blade from a butcher supply store. The stainless steel blade is shaped in a way that I don't have near the fragments that chip off from a wood-cutting blade.
Ridin' 'cross the desert. . .
S.A. Aggie
AG
https://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Reciprocating-Unpainted-Cutting-Animals/dp/B07WDW9PNW/ref=mp_s_a_1_1_sspa?crid=3BGRVCN0KK6SS&keywords=stainless+steel+sawzall+blade+for+meat&qid=1705342872&sprefix=stainless+steel+saw%2Caps%2C119&sr=8-1-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9waG9uZV9zZWFyY2hfYXRm&psc=1
flashplayer
AG
Good point. That's why we use a metal cutting blade. The wood cutting blade leaves big chunks everywhere. Need something with finer / smaller teeth.
ought1ag
AG
got this one about 5-7 years ago and shes still kicking.......at 30 bucks its the only thing we use it for and dont hesitate to spray it out with the hose to "clean" it up. when this one finally dies i will purchase another

https://www.harborfreight.com/power-tools/power-saws/reciprocating-saws/75-amp-variable-speed-reciprocating-saw-69067.html
Hodor
AG
ought1ag said:

got this one about 5-7 years ago and shes still kicking.......at 30 bucks its the only thing we use it for and dont hesitate to spray it out with the hose to "clean" it up. when this one finally dies i will purchase another

https://www.harborfreight.com/power-tools/power-saws/reciprocating-saws/75-amp-variable-speed-reciprocating-saw-69067.html

I've had that one for probably 10 years as well. Still going strong.
When it finally dies I'll look for a cheap cordless one. The cord is the only thing I don't like about it.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.