Outdoors
Sponsored by

Gore Tex or?

3,145 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by Ikanizer
RC_57
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Going on an Alaskan cruise this coming May. From what I've read we should expect some damp and/or rainy, cool down to cold, conditions.

We live just outside of Houston, so it doesn't get all that cold (for long usually). And it's been a couple of decades since I've spent time duck and goose hunting.

With that said, we don't have much in the way of foul weather gear.

Looking for any recommendations on decent ran parkas, is Gore Tex still a good way to go? Or if not Gore Tex, what or who might you recommend?

Thanks for everyone's help.
DVM97
AG
I have both a Cabela's Goretex rain jacket ($200ish) I use for hunting and a Simms rain jacket ($400ish) I use for wade fishing. The goretex jacket is more breathable and fits more comfortably, it has Velcro straps on the wrists and a hoodie w drawstrings, it's great for more active type movement. The Simms jacket is more roomy and is absolutely awesome in heavy rain and colder weather, similar water proof features as the Goretex, but much heavier duty material and not as breathable.
SGrem
Get the Simms or Sitka gear. I'm a full time guide and wear my Simms bib and jacket often. I pack it for trips to Iceland and wear it while skiing. It does it all. And will last forever for most people. Does fine to throw em in the washing machine too. I wear the Sitka gear duck hunting because it's camo.

Both are offered with pit zips so you can air out and be ultra breathable.... very nice when snow boarding and it gets warm enough to delayed some.
harge57
AG
Get a marmot precip for your outer rain layer.

Best value imo. Put a puffy under that ideally with a wool base and you are good to go.

I've worn mine all over including Alaska, Montana, Wyoming, and Colorado over the last 7 years and it's still going strong.

Has pit zips, its waterproof, great hood, pocket, and zipper designs. Get your warmth from your mid and base layers.
409Texag
This jacket is absolutely incredible. Super comfortable and super warm and can be worn quite a bit. I wore this jacket to class on lower 60's-30's days with just a tshirt under it. It's technically a layering piece so you can easily throw a hoodie on under it, and or throw a rain shell on over it if it's really coming down. (I own two) can't recommend enough.

https://www.sitkagear.com/products/duck-oven/earth

409Texag
To add: Reread your most and realized your looking for more of a rain jacket. This dude right here is as good as it gets when it comes to that. And would fit perfectly on-top of if you purchased the jacket above if it's 40 and below out. Not a super warm jacket by itself but I assure you that you will not get wet. The hood on it will kinda fit to your head so when you turn you won't lose side vision as well so that's kinda a cool feature.
The hand pockets are my favorite feature (same as the jacket above) they are kinda higher up and you will find yourself putting your hands in them to rest your arms. Super comfortable setup.

https://www.sitkagear.com/products/delta-pro-wading-jacket/earth
C@LAg
harge57 said:

Get a marmot precip for your outer rain layer.
i have many marmot precips, but their latest jackets just are not lasting anywhere near as long as the older ones.

granted, I live and play in the Pacific Northwest so they get used a lot and for 2/3s of the year, but still... "they do not make them like they used to".
Caladan
Are you going on an AK cruise every year? If so, then if would make sense to purchase an expensive Gore-tex jacket similar to the ones listed above. But if you aren't going to use your new jacket a lot, then it doesn't make sense to spend $500 when a really good rain jacket will suffice. Marmot, North Face, Patagonia, REI, Columbia, 5.11 and I think Carhartt all make good rain jackets that cost much less than a Gore membrane jacket. Waterproof coatings vary in breathability, so you can choose your level of cost.

Just remember to buy a size you can fit over a number of layers. You can encounter some really cold temps in AK during the summer, especially if you are on Zodiac touring close to the glaciers. You should also consider a set of inexpensive and packable rain pants too, since it is very possible you will encounter some fairly heavy rainfall. I took an inexpensive set of Columbia pants on our last AK cruise, and I used them almost every day.

C
LRHF
AG
Caladan said:

Are you going on an AK cruise every year? If so, then if would make sense to purchase an expensive Gore-tex jacket similar to the ones listed above. But if you aren't going to use your new jacket a lot, then it doesn't make sense to spend $500 when a really good rain jacket will suffice. Marmot, North Face, Patagonia, REI, Columbia, 5.11 and I think Carhartt all make good rain jackets that cost much less than a Gore membrane jacket. Waterproof coatings vary in breathability, so you can choose your level of cost.

Just remember to buy a size you can fit over a number of layers. You can encounter some really cold temps in AK during the summer, especially if you are on Zodiac touring close to the glaciers. You should also consider a set of inexpensive and packable rain pants too, since it is very possible you will encounter some fairly heavy rainfall. I took an inexpensive set of Columbia pants on our last AK cruise, and I used them almost every day.

C

I only Have one blue star to give to this post!
JustPanda
AG
You can rent a jacket. No need to buy. Several of the ski rental outfitting website rent jackets only. They don't care. If it was me, I'd save the money and rent and spend it on my other half or on the vacation.
NRH ag 10
AG
I agree with others that are saying you don't need to spend money on stika or simms if it's going to be one trip. I've had good experiences with a variety of different waterproof membranes, it doesn't need to be gore tex.

You might also ask around if you have friends that do still hunt to see if they have a jacket they'd let you borrow.

If you are going to buy I'd echo the recommendation to look to outdoor companies vs hunting companies. It's going to be much easier to find a decent jacket on clearance if you check REI or Moosejaw.
CE Lounge Lizzard
AG
AustinCountyAg
I've had different versions of North Face, Patagonia, etc and they all are pretty average considering the price. I'd consider a golf rain coat like I will link below. Stretchy, quiet, lighter, and better waterproof and breathability rating. I have the one below and its comfortable in warm weather and is good to layer jackets underneath when the weather is cold. The packable rain hood is nice as well when you just want to use the jacket as a wind breaker type of layer.

https://www.golfdiscount.com/sun-mountain-2023-stratus-jacket
Furlock Bones
AG
took too long for this to show up.
StockHorseAg
AG
On both of the Alaskan cruises I have been on, I just wore a North Face jacket similar to this one.

https://www.thenorthface.com/en-us/shop-all/jackets-c701295/mens-alta-vista-jacket-pNF0A7QAW?color=JK3

It kept my very dry and my layers underneath kept me warm. I wouldn't get one of those $400 jackets unless you plan on being out in the rain all day consistently for hunting or work. But hey, if you have the money and want to flex on all of the land manatees at the ship's buffet then by all means get a sitka or simms.
Caladan
Thanks LRHF!

Just came from the Patagonia website, where they are having their 40% off Winter sale. There's at least three rain shells on sale for under $150. Along with a bunch of other stuff of course. Would definitely be worth your time to investigate. Their stuff is constructed quite well......

C
Bird Poo
AG
StockHorseAg said:

On both of the Alaskan cruises I have been on, I just wore a North Face jacket similar to this one.

https://www.thenorthface.com/en-us/shop-all/jackets-c701295/mens-alta-vista-jacket-pNF0A7QAW?color=JK3

It kept my very dry and my layers underneath kept me warm. I wouldn't get one of those $400 jackets unless you plan on being out in the rain all day consistently for hunting or work. But hey, if you have the money and want to flex on all of the land manatees at the ship's buffet then by all means get a sitka or simms.

I wore $20 frog togs on my AS cruise. They're big enough to wear warm clothing underneath and very light for travel.
dodger02
AG
Another vote for layers and at a moderate price.

When I had back-to-back Maine and PNW trips planned, I just went to Cabelas and bought a thinner under layer fleece, a down jacket, and a < $100 Under Armour rain shell. I use them all the time and that setup maybe cost me $250 and can be configured any number of ways making it all very versatile.

I can absolutely appreciate the expensive stuff. But for many of us, it's just not necessary.
bam02
AG
And yet another vote for layers and something moderate. I love my Marmot Precip for the price.
RC_57
AG
Thanks for all the great suggestions

Got some buying to do now

Once again, thanks!
kyledr04
AG
I'm a big fan of Under Armor storm rain jackets with zip in fleeces. I've had two. Somehow I got a cut in my old one so I patched it with waterproof tape and kept it for a fishing jacket.

I wore the new one skiing.

Looks like they have a new maroon one. https://www.underarmour.com/en-us/p/jackets_and_vests/mens_ua_storm_porter_3-in-1_2.0_jacket/1371585.html?dwvar_1371585_color=410

If you think your pants have a change of getting wet, I highly recommend bibs over rain pants. I have a set of those that are gortex and used them more than the goretex coat.
FirefightAg
AG
Get a goretex shell, or UA Storm rain jacket. The layer as needed then you'll have a quality rain jacket for Houston.
Tormentos
AG
Rab Latok or Mountain Equipment Lhotse. Depending on how cold fit it to get a puffer jacket & thermal underneath. The Lhotse has kept my dry in absolutely **** ass conditions in Scotland….conditions I would have never gone out in living back in TX.
BurrOak
AG
The one Alaskan Cruise I went on was in May 2015. It was mostly sunny the entire week and the most we ever had to wear was a light jacket.
AgRyan04
My wife and I each have a Patagonia Torrentshell for hiking/backpacking and our Grand Canyon Rafting trip that we really like. It's just a shell, so you would need to get your warmth from your base and mid layers (which to me is an advantage becsuse you can also wear it over a t-shirt in the summer in Texas). We haven't had any issues with it wetting out. You can cinch all openings (head, wrist, waist) as needed and it has pit zips.

And it packs down small into its own pocket.

They also make Torrentshell pants as well. I've only worn those while rafting the Grand Canyon but they worked well.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
JSKolache
AG
My waterproof gear is all Eddie Bauer and/or LL Bean and under $100. There are many very good, very affordable gore tex knockoffs.
Ikanizer
AG
Got some Kirkland merino wool made in USA socks yesterday 4 pairs for <$10.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.