Outdoors
Sponsored by

Definitive Boundaries - Regions of Texas

6,259 Views | 79 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by schmellba99
Andrew Dufresne
How long do you want to ignore this user?
We all know about the different regions in Texas... Hill Country, West Texas, Panhandle, Etc. Etc.

I'm curious what the general consensus is on the lines that separate these regions. It seems that opinions differ depending on who you ask.
TacosaurusRex
Do you mean like the cities that start that region? Like West Texas starts in Abilene?

Central Texas is Fredericksburg to Bastrop, maybe La Grange. Killeen to New Braunfels.

South starts just south of SA.

I don't have any hard lines for East Texas because I haven't spent a lot of time there outside of Houston.
"If you are reading this, I have passed on from this world — not as big a deal for you as it was for me."
T. Boone Pickens
Andrew Dufresne
Is that what is most accepted as separation points, lines between cities? Or is it rivers/creeks and other unique landmarks?
ShouldastayedataTm
Generally speaking I have always thought of East Texas as everything east of 45. During my days behind the pine curtain at SFA it was always that line where I felt my IQ drop or rise depending on which direction I was going when I crossed it...but that kind leaves the space between 45 and 35 as no mans land....
Wearer of the Ring
AG
I've heard that somewhere in East Texas there is a "little sliver".
FJB
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Yesterday
AG

From left to right and up to down.
Panhandle
North Texas
West Texas
Hill Country
Central Texas
East Texas
South Texas
Gulf Coast
Rio Grande Valley

edit to add that this is a basic outline that I'm sure can be redrawn. I'm personally hard pressed to call san Angelo apart of the Panhandle but there you go.
Buck Compton
AG
Yeah, that would need to be redrawn a lot.

Uvalde isnt Hill country, nor are Brownwood or Sonora. Panhandle shouldn't dip below I-20. Texarkana and stuff are still East Texas more than north texas, just not deep was texas. But decent starting point
$3 Sack of Groceries
AG
Austin ain't the Hill Country. Sorry.
Vogon Poet
AG
The Panhandle begins at the Red River. Prairie Dog Town Fork that is.
ThatOneGuy
AG
Seguin should be in South Texas. Both culturally and the fact that it is south of I-10.
SunrayAg
AG
Nothing south of Childress is in the panhandle.
SanAntoneAg
AG
Somewhere, my 7th grade Texas History teacher is rolling her eyes or rolling over in her grave based on some of these responses.
Gig 'em! '90
Birdbear
AG
Hill County and North Texas need to shrink big time. Also both of the browns are West Texas
S.A. Aggie
AG
It's a mix of environmental gradients, ecological differences and allot of politics.
Howdy Dammit
AG
$240 Worth of Pudding said:

Have you driven 360/2222/1431
bam02
AG
There are no definitive boundaries to these regions.
$3 Sack of Groceries
AG
Howdy Dammit said:

I grew up in Oak Hill in the 70's and 80's before it was swallowed up by Austin in the 90's sometime.
So yeah, I'm a wee bit familiar with the area.

You ever been through Bastrop? Just because
There are pine trees there doesn't make it part of the Piney Woods. Just because there are some hilly parts of Austin doesn't mean it's in the Hill Country.
It's been called "the gateway to the Hill Country" before, but again, it ain't the Hill Country.
Howdy Dammit
AG

Howdy Dammit said:

I grew up in Oak Hill in the 70's and 80's before it was swallowed up by Austin in the 90's sometime.

There are pine trees there doesn't make it part of the Piney Woods. Just because there are some hilly parts of Austin doesn't mean it's in the Hill Country.
It's been called "the gateway to the Hill Country" before, but again, it ain't the Hill Country.

Well 35 is built along the balcones fault which I think most would agree is the exact start of the hill country and balcones escarpment.
$3 Sack of Groceries
AG
Howdy Dammit said:

Howdy Dammit said:

Well 35 is built along the balcones fault which I think most would agree is the exact start of the hill country and balcones escarpment.

I know all about the Balcones fault and the east/west of 35 differences in geology, precipitation, etc.
Austin isn't the Hill Country. You're gonna have to trust me on this.
TH36

Howdy Dammit said:

I'm a native Austinite and have spent all 35 years of my life in this area (live in Driftwood/Dripping area now) and to say that Austin isn't the edge of the Hill Country is asinine. I have no love for this particular area anymore as far as people goes and the amount of but there's no denying that Austin and the I-35 corridor down to San Marcos/New Braunfels is the edge of the Hill Country. I mean the "Highland Lake's" literally end in Austin.

Oh and on edit my Mom is a native of the Hill Country, she literally grew up in the heart of it in Brady, Tx.
$3 Sack of Groceries
AG
TH36 said:

Howdy Dammit said:

I'm a native Austinite and have spent all 35 years of my life in this area (live in Driftwood/Dripping area now) and to say that Austin isn't the edge of the Hill Country is asinine. I have no love for this particular area anymore as far as people goes and the amount of but there's no denying that Austin and the I-35 corridor down to San Marcos/New Braunfels is the edge of the Hill Country. I mean the "Highland Lake's" literally end in Austin.

Oh and on edit my Mom is a native of the Hill Country, she literally grew up in the heart of it in Brady, Tx.

I guess you missed the part where I said it's been called "the gateway to the Hill Country".

Edited to add…I'm 50 and remember when Driftwood and Drippin' were a good drive from Austin. Pflugerville was very, very separate and distinct frim Austin and a good drive away. Round Rock was REALLY far north and in the middle of nowhere. And if you were going to Georgetown, you might as well have been going to Waco. Austin's ridiculous growth has certainly begun to encroach closer and closer out west towards the actual Hill Country.

I have no idea what your mom being from Brady (the actual Hill Country) has to do with anything.

I understand the at there are probably some butthurt folks in Austin who really want it to be the Hill Country and may actually believe it is. But it aint.
D Nauti
Howdy Dammit said:

Everything along I35 between Austin and San Antonio is the eastern edge of the Hill Country. That curves west from SA twords Hondo and Uvalde which are also on the edge. The northern edge is somewhere between Junction and Sonora to somewhere between Brady and San Saba.

San Angelo is the eastern edge of West Texas, and maybe the Southern edge of the Big Country.

Nothing in the Pan Handle is south of the Cap Rock.

I've always figured I was in East Texas once the pine trees start after I'm east of Bastrop of course.
$3 Sack of Groceries
AG
bam02 said:

Correct. Culture and history have as much to do with it as anything else does. Hard for some folks to understand that.
Howdy Dammit
AG

bam02 said:

Correct. Culture and history have as much to do with it as anything else does. Hard for some folks to understand that.

For the western edge. I would agree. But not for the eastern. It's a definitive geologic feature. If you don't think lake Travis and lake austin are in the hill country, then idk what to tell you.
D Nauti

TH36 said:

Howdy Dammit said:

I guess you missed the part where I said it's been called "the gateway to the Hill Country".

Edited to add…I'm 50 and remember when Driftwood and Drippin' were a good drive from Austin. Pflugerville was very, very separate and distinct frim Austin and a good drive away. Round Rock was REALLY far north and in the middle of nowhere. And if you were going to Georgetown, you might as well have been going to Waco. Austin's ridiculous growth has certainly begun to encroach closer and closer out west towards the actual Hill Country.

I have no idea what your mom being from Brady (the actual Hill Country) has to do with anything.

I understand the at there are probably some butthurt folks in Austin who really want it to be the Hill Country and may actually believe it is. But it aint.

Drippin and Driftwood are an even longer drive these days.
jja79
AG
Birdbear said:

Hill County and North Texas need to shrink big time. Also both of the browns are West Texas

I think you mean Brownwood is west Texas. It's 200 miles closer to Louisiana than it is to El Paso so I would disagree.
JeremiahJohnson
AG
SoulSlaveAG2005 said:

This is the correct answer
TH36

TH36 said:

Howdy Dammit said:

My point was just cause Austin is what it is doesn't mean it's not the edge of the Hill Country. There is no denying it. Anybody with a speck of knowledge of the area would know that.

You don't need to be 50 to remember everything you just said. It was the same when I was a kid. I grew up hunting everything from doves to deer within eye sight of Slaughter Lane on the street I grew up on. Nowhere anywhere near that area that you could do that on today. I hunted the Ruby Ranch just outside of South Austin/Buda before it was a neighborhood. Dripping was like going out of town and the drive from Oak Hill to Spicewood seemed like you had hit the country already.

Regardless, it's all the Hill Country. All the way to 35. That is the boundary of the Hill Country if there ever was one.

BrazosDog02
AG
Dadgum.

When I read the topic of this post, I thought for SURE this was going to be the post that everyone on the OB agreed with. It was going to unite us all.

Too bad.
Hewey Calloway
AG
Growing up in Alpine I always considered College Station east Texas. My opinion of that changed after living there for 10 years. I also thought it was insane people called Abilene west Texas. I still think that's crazy.

Just so everyone is aware, West Texas is everything west of a line from Del Rio, to Sonora, to San Angelo, to Midland, to Kermit.
TH36
BrazosDog02 said:

Dadgum.

When I read the topic of this post, I thought for SURE this was going to be the post that everyone on the OB agreed with. It was going to unite us all.

Too bad.

JSKolache
AG
Everybody north of i10 is a yankee, talkin all funny and eatin bad food
jja79
AG
Fort Stockton here. Abilene being considered west Texas is crazy. I think it's everything west of the line from Sterling City to Barnhart to Ozona and west.
tu ag
AG
Looked for a more accurate map for a few minutes. This is the best (not perfect), so far.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.