Outdoors
Sponsored by

Cowboy hats

9,738 Views | 80 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by TXAG 05
HillCountry15
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Catalena hatters
Herbs Hat Shop
Greenley hat works.

Bought a Rodeo King beaver from Herbs hats about 3 years ago. Wear it to work almost every day during felt season and has held up fantastically. Just bought my wife a rodeo kind felt 2 weeks ago.

For straw hats, I've been on an American kick for the last few years. Just bought my second one and love it.
AgTrip
Get one like Junior Brown! Iconic!

MAROON
AG
Ha! I have a beat to hell and sweat stained straw that damn near looks like that
fuzzyfan
AG
Catalena house made felt for me. Started with a 6X blend in charcoal and got them to make me a 20X beaver in light brown. I had them remodel a Stetson that I had when I was a kid, 35 years ago. Looks like new. I wear a felt from first freeze to last freeze or Easter. I wear a Catalena sold American hat in the summer. You could say I am on the Catalena train.
marcel ledbetter
I remember back in the 80 and 90's when a 5x Resistol was considered a good hat for a working ranch hand that spends a lot of time in the saddle. A 10x was really expensive and not for everyday work.

I've had good luck with the Resistol. My last hat is a Catalena. It's been a really good hat. Most ranch hands out here wear felt hats until it turns really cold and switch to the wool Stormy Kromer type hats.

The flat brim, flat crown hats worn by buckaroos out here are very common. It's called a "basin" hat because of the basin and range country where the big ranches are found. A hat like that one implies a certain lifestyle and philosophy toward horsemanship and ranch work.

Hat shapes are fairly regional. The taco shaped hat brims seem to be common in the north Texas ranches. Out in New Mexico or Arizona, they have their own style and shape as well. Shapes also come and go in what's fashionable, just like the return of square toed boot.

I can't wait until the giant hats from the Tom Mix days return to fashion!

Martin Cash
AG
For 48 years I've bought all my hats from Texas Hatters. First in Austin, then Buda, now Lockhart.
SanAntoneAg
AG
A few years back I mentioned to my wife that a straw cowboy hat would be great for ranch work during the summer which is about 10 months out of the year.

I don't know much about them regarding brand, quality, style, etc. She bought me an American Hat Company model number 1011 at Cavender's that I've been really happy with. And it's functional and has held up well, sweat stains and all.
Gig 'em! '90
jmazz
AG
Budget friendly…Cavendar's Cowboy Collection and buy a different hat band b/c the one it comes with is cheap looking. I went with brown but they have black and pecan (I think).

JohnnyShotgun
I own and wear several Stetsons in multiple colors but most of them have the traditional cattlemen's crease and shape. I own a couple of Open Roads, 1 6x silver belly and 1 10x straw. I have a couple of other off brands from some Mexican shops near me and they look great, but are not as comfortable as my Stetsons.

Get what fits you well and what you are comfortable and confident in. Buy more than 1 and change them out for different occasions. I love wearing a hat.
mpl35
AG
https://greeleyhatworks.com/

Already mentioned but I'll second this one.
DiskoTroop
JohnnyShotgun said:

I own and wear several Stetsons in multiple colors but most of them have the traditional cattlemen's crease and shape. I own a couple of Open Roads, 1 6x silver belly and 1 10x straw. I have a couple of other off brands from some Mexican shops near me and they look great, but are not as comfortable as my Stetsons.

Get what fits you well and what you are comfortable and confident in. Buy more than 1 and change them out for different occasions. I love wearing a hat.

10x Stetson Open Road is my vacation hat…
Build It
AG
I'm on my third. I wear it all spring and summer, at the beach, working at ranch. Way better than straw in my opinion. I can dunk it in the ocean and reshape it perfect. I have a nice straw but never wear it.
lurker76
Ask Big Ben what hat his toolbox cowboy was wearing, then don't get that hat.
fullback44
AG
AgTrip said:

Get one like Junior Brown! Iconic!

The old taco hat .. when I think of Jr Brown I think of the taco hat guy
fullback44
AG
ABATTBQ87 said:

Aggie Rodeo team 1953-54

This picture tells me that felt hats haven't changed style in 70 years, maybe slightly more dipped these days, pretty crazy to be honest. Actually pretty cool to know our felts are the same after all these years, god onLy knows almost nothing else is the same these days.. next time I put on one of my felt hats I'm gonna think of this picture
will.mcg
AG
Lots of great information so far.

A little clarification for you: "felt" implies fur felt or wool felt. Wool felt is low quality but not necessarily junk. It will not hold shape as long as fur felt & it will also be hotter on your head.

The more time you spend looking at different materials & brand the more the differences will be obvious to you.

If all you have convenient is a Cavenders go there but if you have a local hat shop or western store go in there & talk to them. Generally the smaller stores are going to get better quality hats(from the same manufacturer) than the big box stores.

American Hats are really popular right now but you can get a better quality hat for less money.

Bailey felt hats are decent quality for the price. Can't go wrong with a Stetson or Resistol.
Hoosegow
I'll second Manny Gamage's Texas Hatters..

https://texashatters.com/

I was lucky enough to inherit one.
TheDirty30
StockHorseAg said:

If you look at any pictures of actual cowboys and ranchers in the 50s-70s, they are most of the time wearing hats with curved brims. The only flat hats I think are cool is what the buckaroos out in California wear. But I am not a buckaroo so I don't wear a buckaroo hat.

Looking at old family pics from the 1950's a lot of the men would push the crown down on their hats which caused a "dent" in the front. Was this for style or function?
Deerdude
Called a Mule Kick now. Think it's silly trying to make a new hat look old, but then distressed jeans pretty silly as well.

Can't answer your question.
jtp01
AG
I'm VERY particular about felt hats, I'm actually starting the process of shopping for my next felt. (I'll be in The Greeley, CO area after the first of the year and may stop in there.

When it comes to straw hats I usually pick up a fresh Bangora every year that ends up going through the combine at the end of harvest. The straw hat goes through hell, checking irrigation engines, checking pivots unclogging nozzles working on breakdowns, greasing equipment (you get the drill) and it's usually trashed.

It's kind of symbolic for us to call harvest DONE. Usually it's my FIL, my oldest son and myself and we all throw them in the combine at the same time.
76Ag
AG
My grandfather and my uncle in Roberston County always wore the khaki shirts and trousers. It was almost like a uniform. They wore hats that weren't full brimmed like a cowboy hat but it's hard to describe. Minimal brim but regular crown. Can someone help me out with this? Someone is bound to know what I mean.
CE Lounge Lizzard
AG
76Ag said:

My grandfather and my uncle in Roberston County always wore the khaki shirts and trousers. It was almost like a uniform. They wore hats that weren't full brimmed like a cowboy hat but it's hard to describe. Minimal brim but regular crown. Can someone help me out with this? Someone is bound to know what I mean.

Likely something like this.
gigem70
AG
If you're in the DFW area you might want to check out Peters Brothers in Ft. Worth.
76Ag
AG
Yes, I think that's it. I want that but it may look silly on me.
FunkyTownAg
AG
Something like this? Always thought it'd be cool to get a replica of my great-great grandfathers hat too. Hoping it might bring me as good of luck fishing.
MAROON
AG
It's a Stetson Open Road. They don't look silly at all, but they do look damn good.
What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
Deerdude
Grandad was a wildcatter out of Mirando City. Hughes Tool gave him an Open Road every year. They relax relatively quickly.
CE Lounge Lizzard
AG
76Ag said:

Yes, I think that's it. I want that but it may look silly on me.
You would be surprised, when they're shaped up a little, they can actually look good. I have a little more cowboy crease and dip in the brim on mine and it wears and looks just fine.
76Ag
AG
I am old enough to remember when most men wore hats. Not just farmers and ranchers but working men, too. Where do I go in Houston to look at hats?
BurnetAggie99
76Ag said:

I am old enough to remember when most men wore hats. Not just farmers and ranchers but working men, too. Where do I go in Houston to look at hats?
The Hat Store

https://www.thehatstore.com/
Hoosegow
That's the same style as my Texas Hatters hat. I like it and it is my go to every day hat when it is cool enough to wear a felt.
Martin Cash
AG
CE Lounge Lizzard said:

76Ag said:

Likely something like this.
We always called those 'stingy brimmed hats.'
76Ag
AG
Hoosegow said:

That's the same style as my Texas Hatters hat. I like it and it is my go to every day hat when it is cool enough to wear a felt.
hillcountryag86
AG
We always called them the Governor John Connally hat.

Canyon99
AG
My felts are all from Catalena in Bryan; however, I am 9 months into a wait for a hat from Nathaniel's Custom Hats in Georgetown. Hoping to have my 100% beaver in Sahara in a few months. I hadn't checked his website recently but just noticed I ordered mine before his price increase.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.