Outdoors
Sponsored by

Turning a Dilapidated Shop in to a Chicken Coop

18,271 Views | 159 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Sea Speed
Sea Speed
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So we have this old shop on our new property that I was meaning to tear down but realized it would make a perfect chicken coop. The building is solid, just needs a touch of work. I will be ripping out the roof on the covered portion and turning that in to their run. Where the work benches are I will probably be making in to the laying area. Although it doesn't look like it, the thing is actually pretty solid minus the falling down roof.

Couple of questions for yall with chicken coops though. Should I rip out the floor in the coop and make it a dirt floor or should I replace the flooring and keep an actual floor?

In the run, I assume I should bury the fencing about 6 inches to keep from digging critters from getting in. What is the best fencing, just chicken wire? Would you add a second door in to the coop or just the one that goes in to the coop from the run? I can obviously add another one where the large cutout is on the building now.

Any other lessons learned or input would be greatly appreciated.

Sea Speed
AG
Started demo and can't wait to post a picture of something the previous owner did. Have to take the kids to dance but I am blown away by their electrical prowess
Jefe07
AG
Just try to make it as secure as possible. Not sure where you live, but in Grimes County, our main chicken predators are racoons. Those *******s can climb and fit through anything. Snakes are an issue, but you can't keep those out. I'd keep the floor. Just make sure you can sweep out all the doodoo. My wife prefers to keep pine shavings on the floor. When it gets gross, it's great compost. Hose-able floor if possible. Give them roosting space higher than the nesting boxes. If they're free range, they'll never nest where you want them to. Or roost where you want them to.

Put your nesting boxes where you can retrieve the eggs conveniently from the outside so that you don't have to go into the coop. Have power where heat lamps should be in the winter. We only turn on heat lamps when it's super cold.
Sea Speed
AG
One of my projects will be adding access by those nesting boxes.

I haven't decided if we want to free range or not. We have the space but not sure how that will go over. Will they generally stay close ish to their coop?
Funky Winkerbean
AG
No, and they will poop everywhere you don't want them pooping.
jwoodmd
Need more understanding of the relative dimensions. Have your wife stand in the doorways and in each picture and post them again.
Sea Speed
AG
jwoodmd said:

Need more understanding of the relative dimensions. Have your wife stand in the doorways and in each picture and post them again.

I'll make sure she just got out of the heated pool for you too, how about that?
jwoodmd
Sea Speed said:

jwoodmd said:

Centerpole90
AG
reading comprehension fail.

This is a badass idea. I'll have suggestion on wire in a bit.
chickencoupe16
AG
Sea Speed said:

jwoodmd said:

Does her's shrink in the cold water too?
Sea Speed
AG
I was kidding, our pool isn't heated.
Sea Speed
AG
Since size was mentioned, the building is about 10x10 if not bigger, and the run is about 10x15 or so. Can I or should i cut down on the size of the run? Of I did, I could put my compost pile directly next to the run which would be great because we are going to put a garden not far from where this is.
Centerpole90
AG
Quote:

Couple of questions for yall with chicken coops though. Should I rip out the floor in the coop and make it a dirt floor or should I replace the flooring and keep an actual floor?
I've always had a dirt floor in coops - because it's what was available. I don't think there is anything wrong with the existing floor as long as the chickens have somewhere to go and scratch and be chickens. If you are going to keep them cooped up for long periods of time and deny them the run - then I believe a dirt floor is optimal. If they are going to have daily access to the run - then the solid floor is fine and it will certainly be easier to seal up (imho).
Quote:

In the run, I assume I should bury the fencing about 6 inches to keep from digging critters from getting in.
You're going to want to bury it some, absolutely. I buried a course of corrugated metal around the bottom of my run and then went up from that with wire. This keeps the chickens kind of 'out of view' of a passing critter - but it also obscures your view of them. So, not something I would have done if they were in plain view of my house and I wanted to monitor them.

Quote:

What is the best fencing, just chicken wire?
Not my first choice - and based on the work this project is going to be - shouldn't be yours either. I don't think plain old chicken wire is as durable as you're going to want given the size of that run. Hardware cloth is much more substantial and will be a better finished product. Of course, the fewer courses you need the easier - so width is a consideration. I used 1x1" 16 ga galvanized from critter fence and I love it. It comes in different heights. I used 6'

https://www.critterfence.com/critterfence-galvanized-1x1-6x100
Quote:

Would you add a second door in to the coop or just the one that goes in to the coop from the run? I can obviously add another one where the large cutout is on the building now.
For my money - this is all about 'how do you want to retrieve the eggs?' I say this because you want to simplify that process as much as you can. Jefe has already suggested making the egg boxes accessible from the outside. That is EXCELLENT advice! You'll be out there every day gathering eggs. Make that as easy as possible - you are likely going to quickly tire of going into the run - then into the coop, then doing it all in reverse. If you don't make the boxes accessible from outside - then I would suggest putting a walk door in coop, yes. That way you just have the one door to open.

If you don't like the idea of the laying boxes exposed or on the visible side of the coop - another idea (because you have a pretty YUGE coop) is to partition the building into two parts: coop and feed room. If you popped a wall in there you could have a room to store feed and other chicken goodies safe from critters - and you could make the laying boxes accessible from there. It would separate the building into their side and your side - it's a common layout in bigger coops.

I am guessing you are going to put a chicken door between the coop and run so they are sealed up at night? That would be a good idea.

Don't take any of this as anything more than random BS you read on a message board - I've only built one coop, but it does function pretty good. I hope yours brings you as much satisfaction as mine has.
Sea Speed
AG
That is all great info thank you so much. I will definitely be adding access from the outside so the kids can get the eggs every day. Separating the coop in to two areas is not a bad idea at all. This is directly next to my shop so I would have room for chicken stuff in there but storing it in the coop sounds like a great plan.

I plan on letting them out of the coop every day. I was thinking about getting one of those automatic doors that shuts at a certain time every day. I spend a lot of time away from home so it would make life easier on my wife not to have to remember to go out there and shut them up every day.
Centerpole90
AG
How many chickens do you plan to have? Mas o menos.. not exact count. 5, 10, 50?
Sea Speed
AG
Centerpole90 said:

How many chickens do you plan to have? Mas o menos.. not exact count. 5, 10, 50?

I have not got that far in to the process yet.

Honestly I don't know how many would be comfortable in this coop. We will most likely start off pretty small to get in to the swing of it. What I am hoping is to teach my girls some responsibility and have them sell some eggs at their school or other activities as well as have some for the house.

ETA, im not trying to make money, just hoping my kids can learn a little about running a 'business' along with caring for animals.
Centerpole90
AG
I understand.

Your idea of making it as easy as possible for your wife and your kids is the kind of thinking that will make the project a success. You know what you were willing to do, but keeping it as easy as you can for them will mean it's sustainable while you're gone.

I will follow along with great interest. I enjoyed my build immensely.
falcon09
AG
The automatic coop doors are pretty nice. Mine opens at first light and closes 20 minutes after sunset. The chickens are always in the coop on their own by the time it closes. I've heard they can be a little moody if they get used to the door opening at a certain time everyday and then you forget or are late one day.

I would lean toward some type of floor in the coop so it's easier to seal up from predators. The run can just be dirt. Chickens take 'dirt baths' to get rid of mites. My run started as grass in the yard and they've torn it up and dug a couple small holes for this.

Chicken wire is made to keep chickens in an area, not to keep predators out. I wouldn't trust just chicken wire. I used hardware clothe in mine.

Looks like you've got enough room for a pretty good size flock (12-18?) even if you don't free range them and they just stay in the coop/run all the time. Enjoy, and watch out for 'chicken math'!
Ag97
AG
Hardware cloth is your friend. We ordered ours from Amazon. It was cheaper than Lowes and Tractor supply and we were able to order the width we wanted which our in town options didn't carry. Or coop originally had chicken wire but it rust fairly quickly and raccoons can break it apart once it gets a little rusty.

If you are going to let them free range during the day, have more chickens than you think you'll want. We started with 6 chickens last spring and they free range during the day. Its just a matter of time before you start losing some. Raccoons, coyotes, hawks, owls they will all take a toll on chickens. It's survival of the fittest. We started with 6, lost 2, added 4 more, lost 2, added 4 more and over the course of the next 5 months lost all but 3. Our 3 remaining stay close to the coop/house and have managed to stay alive. I just purchased another 10 a couple months ago and so far, they are hanging with the older/smarter 3 chickens and not venturing off too much. My hope is we can find a balance and have about 6 good layers at any time. Once we loose 3 or 4, I'll buy replacements plus a couple extras.
TarponChaser
Centerpole90 said:

I understand.

Your idea of making it as easy as possible for your wife and your kids is the kind of thinking that will make the project a success. You know what you were willing to do, but keeping it as easy as you can for them will mean it's sustainable while you're gone.

What CP90 here is saying is that he will watch your progress and judge you while comparing your coop to his Taj Mahal of chicken coops he made for Mrs. CP90.
Sea Speed
AG
TarponChaser said:

Centerpole90 said:

I understand.

What CP90 here is saying is that he will watch your progress and judge you while comparing your coop to his Taj Mahal of chicken coops he made for Mrs. CP90.

Its like I'm Sinead O'Connor over here because nothing compares to that thing.
Sea Speed
AG
Look at this expert level electrical work. I noticed little arcs in the cobwebs when I turned the light switch on to test the light so I turned them off and moved some cob wevs and found this. I cant believe this place didn't burn down.

And here is some more of the expert electrical work.

Centerpole90
AG
Ya, don't burn it down on Day 1.

My favorite part of having chickens is they hate spiders as much as I do. I used to fret about them sh*tting on the shop floor; then one day I bounced out one of those big black spiders from something and before I could find something to squash it, my feathered friends came out of nowhere and made it disappear. Kindred spirits, me and those chickens.
Sea Speed
AG
Ha no I already ripped all that electrical out. Speaking of spiders, this was in one of the light fixtures I ripped out. Not sure if it is a recluse or not as I am not keyed up on spider ID

Sea Speed
AG
I got as much of the roof off as I am going to take off. I also think I am going to make the run a bit smaller and only have it come out to the 3 posts that are going across. Thoughts on the run being a bit smaller or should I just go ahead and make it the larger size which would at least double the size.

I'm also going to take CPs advice and build a wall across from where the 2 doors currently are and maken
the coop much smaller that the whole building. That will actually help me get the coop up and running sooner as I won't need to rush to finish out the other part of the building.

Finally, what do yall reckon is living or used to live in this hole and what should I put down it to make sure it never wants to come back?

Ag by Association
Listen to this man Sea Speed.
Sea Speed
AG
Oh and the first lesson I learned is I should have backed the trailer up to the site and thrown all the trash in it instead of on the ground. I know better than that. Now I get to move it all again.
TX AG 88
AG
that's not a brown recluse spider
Sea Speed
AG
Good
Agape91
AG
Just to reiterate what CP90 suggests on wire, you need to use something more substantial in the bottom few feet. A dog can chew/rip thru chicken wire. Avoid the trauma my kids had when we came home to find the chickens they raised from chicks all dead in their run (not eaten just played with). Btw, highly recommend getting chicks for your kiddos to raise at least once.
Sea Speed
AG
Yea I am definitely going to get some welded wire. I like his 2 feet of corrugated metal but our ground stays wet out here so that wouldn't last as long as it will for him so I am thinking about what I can use instead to give a little more protection. I could use corrugated plastic but that would be kind of ugly.
Sea Speed
AG
Done for the day. Not sure i will be able to get anything done tomorrow, but I'll try. Probably try to get all of the dirt out of the way to replace the floors. Most likely going to turn the old work bench in to the needing boxes and cut flip up access from the outside. Not sure how many i will do or which level I'll do.

jwoodmd
Sea Speed said:

Did you look in the hole?

Hoyt Ag
AG
One hard lesson I learned when i lived in South Texas was the soil in the coop. I did a similar project for a while and turned a section of my shop to a coop. I figured it was just dirt and nothing would hurt them. Over time, my flock got sick and died slowly. There must have been something in the dirt. I would reccomend maybe taking off the top few inches of the soil in there and putting in some fresh soil. You may not know what is in there that could hurt them. Once I figured it was the soil, I built my new one below.

Here are pics of my coop I made, but one thing I tell everyone is this, build a tray under where they will roost at night with industrial hemp in the bottom. This will act like kitty litter for cats. About once a month, I would sieve out the poop and put that into the garden. The hemp keeps the smell down and also makes it super easy to clean out.

Lastly, I let mine free range in the day and then I would shut the door at night myself or use the wifi controller. A little on the boujee side, but it was a nice addition. It certainly kept the bugs down in the yard and the constant fertilizer from them was great too. This is a personal decision though, as you may have more hawks/yotes or other predators than I had.
Sea Speed
AG
Just as much as you can see in the earlier photo. Tempted to throw a m80 down there.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.