Outdoors
Sponsored by

COVID-19 Project - Mobile Chicken Coop

5,280 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Gigemchicken90
Hoyt Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
With having to work from home for the last month and will be for who knows how long, I have started on a project that I have wanted to do for a long time now. I had some leftover tubing from an old carport that I will use for the frame and then build off that. The last week I have welded it together and have begun to frame it out. I will update the thread as I progress. The end result will be something similar to this but larger and better built. There will be 8 nesting boxes on the side where the hitch is located. 4 trays to clean out litter, rain barrel for water system and various feeders. I have 3 acres with plenty of room to move this around for them to graze.

Corners:

Done welding:

Starting to frame:

Centerpole90
AG
That looks awesome. More pics of your welding truck. Thanks.
BenderRodriguez
AG
Way bigger than I assumed it was going to be!

Interesting project. Always nice to see stuff people are doing during all this craziness.
mandevilleag
Good lord, that's a coupe de ville! The cadillac of chicken coops. There are human beings who have worse housing than that!
Hoyt Ag
AG
Gonna cut it down to 8x12 instead of 12x12. Will be a hell of a lot easier using 48 inch cuts for wood than buying a sheet ton of wood for 12 foot. Will use the metal scraps to brace from hitch upright to the sides with 45 degree braces.
Nextcoach
AG
Where'd you get your chickens?
Hoyt Ag
AG
The ones I have now are from tractor supply but they are not vaccinated. Learned that lesson. I have 14 on order from McMurray Farms. Will be here June so I have time to get this built and make room in the shop for them till they can go in the pen.
Nextcoach
AG
Have you ever dealt with Ideal Poultry in Cameron? I have some on order from them. What breeds do you have or are you getting?
BrazosDog02
AG
This word 'mobile'....you know what it means, yes?

I'm kidding. Looks awesome!
Hoyt Ag
AG
No I havent heard of that outfit. Mine will come to me by parcel since none are near me in Orange Grove.

I have 4 bantams, 3 golden sexlinks, 1 barred rock, and 1 easter Eggers. I had twice that many but a month of coccidia killed half my flock. My current coop is a pain in the ass to keep clean for them, hence the mobile coop. It was an old goat pen at one point from the previous owners.

I have on order 4 barred rocks (my favorite breed), 4 black polish, 4 australorp and 4 light brahmas,

Gigemchicken90
AG
Hoyt Ag,

This is Teri from Ideal Poultry in Cameron. We are a 4th generation family business that has been around since 1937. We are 3rd generation Aggie owned and actually have 12 Aggie family members that work here.

If you are interested in getting some chickens from us shoot Kevin an e-mail and he will be glad to get you some. We are sold out till June but for a fellow Ag, we will get you some as soon as you want them. kevin.crouch@idealpoultry.com

Thanks
Teri Fuchs Adcox '90
'90
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
Is it meant to cross the road?
If it is I am curious as to why.
Hoyt Ag
AG
Email sent. Thanks!
Spoony Love
AG
Use Ideal Poultry going forward. They produce very healthy birds. We've ordered a few times from them and get them the next day at the post office.

Great company to work with.
AggieOO
Hoyt Ag said:

The ones I have now are from tractor supply but they are not vaccinated. Learned that lesson. I have 14 on order from McMurray Farms. Will be here June so I have time to get this built and make room in the shop for them till they can go in the pen.
at least your tractor supply chickens won't be autistic.
Cholula Verde
AG
Opps didn't scroll down to see Teri's response. Gig'Em Fuchs family! Farmers Fight!
Hoyt Ag
AG
Got about half done this weekend. Nesting boxes are done, windows are made, one wall left to install. Fabbing up wheel assembly today. Still have to do the roof, door, hatches, roost bars and paint.

Hoyt Ag
AG
Almost done...just needs roof and mesh. Going to change wheels assembly though

mtngoat3006
The Dixie Chickenmobile???
Cholula Verde
AG
Looks awesome!
Gary79Ag
AG
Hoyt Ag said:

Almost done...just needs roof and mesh. Going to change wheels assembly though

Von will be so proud of you!
shiftyandquick
I would not bother moving it. Unless you want your entire yard looking like the moon. The area under the coop will be killed in less than 1 week.
Hoyt Ag
AG
I have a back pasture over 3 acres I am not grazing any longer for horses. They can hang out back there under the oaks and mesquite until i find a more permanent spot. All i know is my mini tractor has provided some amazing grass once they tore it up and we got rain. All in all, it's a fun project and cheap entertainment plus fresh eggs i sell for $3/dz.
Hoyt Ag
AG
About 90% done. Still need to weld on the hardware mesh, install feeders and put the hemp in the house. For now it will stay as is until I can find a few wheel hubs and tires/wheels to install, since the ones on there now cannot handle the load.

Gary79Ag
AG
Hoyt Ag said:

About 90% done. Still need to weld on the hardware mesh, install feeders and put the hemp in the house. For now it will stay as is until I can find a few wheel hubs and tires/wheels to install, since the ones on there now cannot handle the load.

Had a screen door somewhat similar to that one, sans the T bracing, back when I was a young kid. Only difference is that one does not have my body imprint in it like my parent's one had from me trying to run thru it without unlocking it first.

I was picking eggs with a basket of eggs in one hand as I reached into the wooden nest to get the eggs but felt something totally different. When I looked into the nest and saw a big egg snake in there wrapped around the eggs, the basket of eggs went flying in one direction and I took off running in the other to get the hell out of there, but the screen door was locked...ergo my body impression in it.
frorge
AG
That makes me want to get some chickens! Very awesome.
Hoyt Ag
AG
Had a similar experience yesterday. I was getting them in the old coop for the night, stepped right on a 5ft chicken snake eating a bantam egg. I pinned him down as my dad got a shovel and then I cut him up. Scared the hell out of me. I will be readyt to get them into the new coop, it should alleviate varmints getting inside.
shiftyandquick
There's also the issue of the bottom of the coop. Whether you will put a predator skirt around the outside edge. Or put some kind of hardware cloth on the bottom of the coop. Or just deal with things after the fact when the predators start digging under.
Hoyt Ag
AG
Dont have much of a predator problem outside of snakes. My cur dog kills possums and coyotes If they dare to trespass.
BackPocket
Very nice!

If you ever get into building more for selling to other TexAg posters...I'd get line.
AgsMnn
AG
What are your current wait times now?

My dad surprised my son with one for his birthday and now we are looking for a few more chicks for it.
92AG10
AG
Make sure your chicken coop only has two doors!

If it has four it will be a chicken sedan
Gigemchicken90
AG
Right now we are booking for July. We have never seen anything like this.
'90
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.