Outdoors
Sponsored by

Family of 3 found dead near Gunnison. Attempted to live off grid without experience.

4,245 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Tony Franklins Other Shoe
Furlock Bones
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://www.themeateater.com/conservation/public-lands-and-waters/three-dead-in-colorado-wilderness-after-failed-attempt-to-live-off-grid?fbclid=IwAR1h38CceJz3qGK2vQJHdD1NPMNOI1KDiMfy6ZpTBK6FfNPidIuMwP2sLig_aem_AaPcGiJGWeiLH3LqVh3pyxYo9jucRyHc8H9tEBgbLGXdkQAL6cUTpx_Q9cO-nFallYA

The worst part is the 14 year old kid.

The partially mummified and decomposed remains of Christine Vance, 41; Rebecca Vance, 42, and Rebecca's 14-year-old son, were discovered July 9 after a hiker notified authorities of a body in the Gunnison National Forest. One body was discovered out in the open, and the other two were in a tent. The cause of death has not yet been released, but authorities were pointing to starvation, exposure to freezing temperatures, or carbon monoxide poisoning as possible causes.
cupofjoe04
AG
Tragic. Unnecessary. Heartbreaking.

Most people have no real respect for or clue of the beautifully unforgiving realities of nature.
BrazosDog02
AG
maroon barchetta
BlueSmoke
Ugh, such a sad story. They need to watch Alone and the other survival shows and see the real suffering these people endure. These are typically professionals or highly trained amateurs with years of experience and they often tap out after a few weeks. Les Stroud stopped doing his show because of the toll it takes on your body.

YouTube doesn't convey the pain and agony of exposure, hunger, illness and injury, and having to still get stuff done in those conditions.
Nobody cares. Work Harder
sunchaser
AG
That's about 15 miles from where I have hunted for decades. The snow fall was massive last winter. An outfitter and several guides we know loaded up snowmobiles roughly in May and headed into their base camp. Within 30 minutes they had five stuck and spent an entire day getting them back on trailers.
maroon barchetta
sunchaser said:

That's about 15 miles from where I have hunted for decades. The snow fall was massive last winter. An outfitter and several guides we know loaded up snowmobiles roughly in May and headed into their base camp. Within 30 minutes they had five stuck and spent an entire day getting them back on trailers.

In May???
OnlyForNow
AG
poor kid. **** those adults.
OnlyForNow
AG
They were mummified, all information points to them not surviving the winter of 2022-2023.
MouthBQ98
AG
I'm not sure where people get the idea that the nice pleasant summer mountains remain at all hospitable in the winter. Almost everything either hibernates or migrates lower. Cold is deadly.
sunchaser
AG
Yes.....they felt it might be July before they could get in but we got some pictures in June. The snow has to melt and then you wait on the mud to dissipate....The pushing back of first rifle this year was somewhat of a concern for us as far as getting out but for the first time since '84 I didn't get a tag in the draw or the secondary draw.

In the secondary draw my son and I where dialing in at 10:00 am. We got busy signals for 45 minutes. He got in the system on hold. There was one bull tag in Unit 55. It took about ten minutes and his call was answered. There was not a single bull tag left in Colorado.
B-1 83
AG
Were they sisters?
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
TexasAGGIEinAR
Let's not make this about race...
OnlyForNow
AG
Married lesbians probably.
Mathguy64
AG
B-1 83 said:

Were they sisters?

The article said Mom, her sister and her 14 year old son.
B-1 83
AG
Mathguy64 said:

B-1 83 said:

Were they sisters?

The article said Mom, her sister and her 14 year old son.
I read the article and missed that. My bad.
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
CanyonAg77
AG
Quote:

Family members say the three were trying to escape civilization by living off the land. Trevala Jara, a stepsister to Rebecca and Christine Vance, told Anchorage Daily News that the two women notified her last year of their plans to relocate to the wilderness.

"(Rebecca) was fearful of a lot of things with the way she thought the world was going," Jara said. "She was actually trying to save her son, and our sister."

Jara did not think living off the grid was the answer.

"We tried to stop them," she said. "But they wouldn't listen. Their minds were made up."

Reminder # 345,980 to ignore the media. All of them, regardless of political leanings.
oragator
One big snowfall and you're essentially locked in til spring with what you have. Short of being on a lake you can ice fish, or big game wandering in walking distance,
Sad story.
Furlock Bones
AG
if you're going to live off the grid especially with zero experience, i recommend heading to Hawaii.
javajaws
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Quote:

Family members say the three were trying to escape civilization by living off the land. Trevala Jara, a stepsister to Rebecca and Christine Vance, told Anchorage Daily News that the two women notified her last year of their plans to relocate to the wilderness.

"(Rebecca) was fearful of a lot of things with the way she thought the world was going," Jara said. "She was actually trying to save her son, and our sister."

"We tried to stop them," she said. "But they wouldn't listen. Their minds were made up."

Reminder # 345,980 to ignore the media. All of them, regardless of political leanings.
Just remember that regardless of how bad you think things are in America today...just turn off the social media and news and enjoy life. Because that life in America is still better than most of the lives people outside of America live.
SteveBott
AG
Yea no experience at all and watched a few videos to prep. Then went in. Guaranteed disaster. Painful deaths.
BrazosDog02
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Quote:

100%.

When I worked at my corporate gig and had to fill 40 hours a week with something, I surfed all the major news sites and then backed it with F16. It was a miserable time. When I got out of that, I stopped watching the news. My political orientation corrected, my outlook improved, and overal happiness increased.

And that was a decade ago when the economy was tanking, the earth was getting hotter, the glaciers were melting and we were about to all die.

The economy was fine. No one died. And that's still the case and still going to be the case.
SteveBott
AG
Social media has been the worst development in society in my lifetime. Nothing but echo chambers. People get sucked in and can't get out.
Hoyt Ag
AG
Parts of the Flat Tops were finally accessible in late June. It was a crazy winter.
JYDog90
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Quote:

They probably watched Life Below Zero on Nat Geo and figured they had what it took.
Corps_Ag12
AG
Hoyt Ag said:

Parts of the Flat Tops were finally accessible in late June. It was a crazy winter.

So warm first rifle you think?
JustPanda
AG
I winter camp up at Camp Hale and up around Marble and trying to survive this last winter or really any winter without years of prep was just dumb. That part of Colorado is one of the coldest and harshest in the state.

Beautiful June - September but a ***** October - May.

Probs got snowed in late fall and before they realized it they were SOL and froze to death or two died of CO and one froze to death. Even worse. Even with a decently insulated homemade structure, where they found these people, you'd still have dozens of nights with temps in the 10s 20s or lower without a heat source and even with a fire it'd still be balls fn cold.
JustPanda
AG
Parts of the Flat Tops still have snowmelt. It was a crazy winter to say the least.
SteveBott
AG
Yea if have not built a cabin over a couple of years and completely stocked for 6 months you are F'd.
Hoyt Ag
AG
Too early to tell I think. It was 48 at my house this morning in Meeker. I was gone the last 6 weeks in Asia, but I was told it was over 90 most the time I was gone. The cool nights sure make sitting on the patio nice.
JustPanda
AG
Reminds me of the mummified cult leader they found in Crestone except she was murdered and decorated like a Christmas tree
P.H. Dexippus
AG
javajaws said:

CanyonAg77 said:

Quote:

Just remember that regardless of how bad you think things are in America today...just turn off the social media and news and enjoy life. Because that life in America is still better than most of the lives people outside of America live.
I somewhat agree with this...you can't live 24/7 by cable news or with your face in a screen, or you risk losing a grasp on reality and missing out on your purpose in life. Get out and interact with people, interact with creation. Make a conscious decision about the sources and quantities of media you consume. Prioritize which influences are important in your life and seek those out.

But so much of the problems we are faced with as far as moral/societal decay these days is because good men shrug their shoulders and are content to live in blissful ignorance or only in the here/now, incrementally surrendering the direction of things to not so good men.

Discernment is key. These people would be alive today if they had exercised good judgment and preparedness, even if they decided the best thing for them to do was to live off the grid.
HarleySpoon
AG
Furlock Bones said:

if you're going to live off the grid especially with zero experience, i recommend heading to Hawaii.
And/or Rhode Island.
Carmine Scarpacio
fullback44
AG
If you don't know what your doing and want to live off the grid .. just get a tent and set up shop in Seattle next to a government food storage building .. you will get all the free food you want, you earn money filling out votes for the 2024 election and if you crap on the sidewalks your just being normal
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.