Outdoors
Sponsored by

Is any land in the US still sold for ag value?

4,899 Views | 58 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by AgDad121619
Bradley.Kohr.II
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've been thinking about kids, etc and I know TX and MT have gone nuts - I think if I wait a decade or two, prices will collapse/inflation will get the little hobby places back into commercially viable sized tracts.

(Demographic collapse/boomers getting too old to live far from doctors etc)

Howdy Dammit
AG
Unfortunately no. Only way this ever changes is if the government removes ag exemption.
Tumble Weed
If we had a 10 year drought and economic downturn you would see some relief in prices.

Not a very high probability.
Get Off My Lawn
Tumble Weed said:

If we had a 10 year drought and economic downturn you would see some relief in prices.

Im not sure of that. Land is currently viewed as an investment. Culturally America has maintained an expansionist mindset despite having grown to color in the whole space.

A better model for what American land ownership will look like going forward is Europe where English aristocracy owned most of Ireland - with many owners having never set foot on their property.

City $ is in being parked in rural land and it's not going to change unless the system is flipped (whether legally or with massive depopulation).
Tecolote
AG
Tumble Weed said:

Northern New Mexico has had more than 10 year drought, last year the fires, and only this spring is wet. Land prices have never backed off - in fact, they are stupid high.
CanyonAg77
AG
Howdy Dammit said:

Unfortunately no. Only way this ever changes is if the government removes ag exemption.

So you raise the taxes to the point that Ag producers will be forced to sell?
rab79
AG
Howdy Dammit said:

Well the dot gov could start selling the public's land back to the public... you know, increase the supply end of things...
chris1515
AG
I have some relatives that farm on the banks of the Mississippi in Louisiana, and they were shocked at the values of rocky, mesquite, and cactus pastureland here in Texas. They said you could buy great farmland near them for that price. So it would seem that might be valued closer to actual ag value.

Jabin
I'm an old and during my adult life ag land has never been valued based on its ag economic capabilities. It came close in the late 80s when Texas and the southwest were in a terrible depression (all TX banks failed, oil at $11/barrel, and commercial real estate was literally being sold for a song). If it didn't get down to its ag value then, it never will.
Furlock Bones
AG
rab79 said:

Howdy Dammit said:

Well the dot gov could start selling the public's land back to the public... you know, increase the supply end of things...

No.
Teslag
AG
rab79 said:

Howdy Dammit said:

Most public land that isn't in parks is out west and arid. And it's auctioned most will just be bought by investment companies anyway.
ldg397
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Howdy Dammit said:

I think he means ending an exemption for people that aren't in actual ag production and do the bare minimum for tax purposes only. Or increase the minimum requirement or more thorough verification would be a better way to put it.
CS78
ldg397 said:

CanyonAg77 said:

Howdy Dammit said:

I think he means ending an exemption for people that aren't in actual ag production and do the bare minimum for tax purposes only. Or increase the minimum requirement or more thorough verification would be a better way to put it.

My thoughts too. Ag exemption allows people to throw a couple cows on it and let it ride forever. It cost little to nothing to just hold onto it and pass it down. Remove that and people will either be forced to produce or sell. The market would be flooded with properties and prices would fall heavily.

Not saying Id be a fan but it would bring the value of the land down to what it is capable of producing.
CanyonAg77
AG
Given the flood of money from the big cities buying rural land, I'm not sure that tougher exemption laws would discourage investment

If a lawyer or doctor can pay $10,000 an acre for initial purchase, is raising taxes from $10 a year to $100 a year that big a deal?
HarleySpoon
AG
The other side of the equation is for the value of the ag produced to increase.
Howdy Dammit
AG
CS78 said:

ldg397 said:

CanyonAg77 said:

Howdy Dammit said:

My thoughts too. Ag exemption allows people to throw a couple cows on it and let it ride forever. It cost little to nothing to just hold onto it and pass it down. Remove that and people will either be forced to produce or sell. The market would be flooded with properties and prices would fall heavily.

Not saying Id be a fan but it would bring the value of the land down to what it is capable of producing.

This exactly. You'd see land fall to its exact worth. I'm all for it. It's insane that people living on massive ranches pay less in property tax than me on my 0.5 acre parcel in suburbia.
SunrayAg
AG
CS78 said:

ldg397 said:

CanyonAg77 said:

Howdy Dammit said:

Wow. You want the government to FORCE people to produce, or FORCE them to sell.

I wasn't aware Marxists frequent the OB...
Bradley.Kohr.II
AG
The correct answer is correct the BS in the capital markets/eliminate the absurd amount of public land the government just sits on/abuses and mismanages.

I realize there are some public land aficionados but it doesn't make sense to make the rest of us subsidize their preferred form of hunting.

It might make sense to not let ag land get cut up below some economically viable level.

It still might result in rich guys using it as a hedge - but at least it could still be leased out for production etc.

My cousins lives in a part of TN where land (years ago) was cheap and productive, but a "big" tract was 30 acres. People had chopped it up so small over the years that the closing costs were more than the value of the land.
rab79
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Given the flood of money from the big cities buying rural land, I'm not sure that tougher exemption laws would discourage investment

If a lawyer or doctor can pay $10,000 an acre for initial purchase, is raising taxes from $10 a year to $100 a year that big a deal?
maybe not but from $900 to $17,000 might, (not hypothetical numbers)
rab79
AG
CS78 said:

ldg397 said:

CanyonAg77 said:

Howdy Dammit said:

now do wildlife exemptions...
CS78
SunrayAg said:

CS78 said:

ldg397 said:

CanyonAg77 said:

Howdy Dammit said:

Wow. You want the government to FORCE people to produce, or FORCE them to sell.

I wasn't aware Marxists frequent the OB...

I specifically said I wasn't in favor. Is your brain incapable of objectively analyzing a thought?
CS78
rab79 said:

CS78 said:

ldg397 said:

CanyonAg77 said:

Howdy Dammit said:

now do wildlife exemptions...

Agreed. Wildlife exemptions are shoulder to shoulder with all the recreational ag exemptions.

If it were up to me, we'd do away with ALL property taxes.
HarleySpoon
AG
Property taxation is theft. Stop the theft period.
skinny2001
AG
I disagree. I think Property taxes are an effective way and an ancient way for a government to help pay for services helping that land

Income tax is theft and a form of slavery.
bigF
AG
I had this conversation with my wife earlier today. I always dream of buying a ranch somewhere or some recreational property. I farm for a living and it turns out that farmland is a fantastic investment. I want to buy some recreational property but the tax end of the equation drives me away. You buy land without an ag exemption and finance it. Even when the land value increases over time, when you factor in interest paid and taxes, and then taxes on the gain if/when you sell, it just doesn't look like a great deal.
Mas89
AG
Jabin said:

I'm an old and during my adult life ag land has never been valued based on its ag economic capabilities. It came close in the late 80s when Texas and the southwest were in a terrible depression (all TX banks failed, oil at $11/barrel, and commercial real estate was literally being sold for a song). If it didn't get down to its ag value then, it never will.
This.
80's, 90's, and even the early 2000's land that I'm familiar with in Se Tx, South Texas, and the hill country was extremely cheap compared to todays prices. Just wish I had bought more and not sold any during that time period.

As far as ag economic capabilities, irrigated hay and crop land and grass farms paid for themselves when operated by capable farmers during the listed period.
I'll narrow those crops down to irrigated grass farms at todays land prices. By far the best thing going in production agriculture in Texas today. More demand than supply even with ever increasing prices.
one safe place
CanyonAg77 said:

But it isn't just lawyers and doctors. A lot of folks from all walks of life purchase land and get an ag exemption via livestock or hay, or a timber exemption, or more recently bees. They make a two or three hundred thousand a year from their real occupation, and have ag income somewhere between $0 to a few thousand dollars.

I would think the increase in taxes would be much, much higher than $100 a year.
ldg397
AG
CS78 said:

ldg397 said:

CanyonAg77 said:

Howdy Dammit said:

Not sure I am in favor of reducing or changing ag exemption either just explaining what I thought they meant.

Really want to blow peoples mind let's talk about CRP. You can buy land in 2023 and get significant govt payments every year to not plant crops just because someone had crops on it in like 1987. It is such a large payment it can almost pay for the land purchase over time.

I agree once I pay my income tax I shouldn't have to pay sales or estate tax. I kind of understand property and capital gains taxes.
HarleySpoon
AG
skinny2001 said:

I disagree. I think Property taxes are an effective way and an ancient way for a government to help pay for services helping that land

Income tax is theft and a form of slavery.

You pay taxes on the income earned to buy the property….you pay taxes on the gain when you sell it. You pay taxes on the income earned by the property while you own it. Just seems unjust to tax it for simply owning it. We don't tax stocks or cash for simply owning them. My two bits…..it just turns into government confiscation of wealth for which income taxes have already been paid.
Thunderstormr
AG
ldg397 said:

CanyonAg77 said:

Howdy Dammit said:

There is no ag exemption. There is an ag valuation.
CanyonAg77
AG
Don't know about your part of the world, but CRP is not that great a deal in the panhandle. If you can even find land that is in CRP, we're talking about $40 an acre for less than 10 years.

It helps, but it's not exactly free land
Ol_Ag_02
AG
Bradley.Kohr.II said:

The correct answer is correct the BS in the capital markets/eliminate the absurd amount of public land the government just sits on/abuses and mismanages.

I realize there are some public land aficionados but it doesn't make sense to make the rest of us subsidize their preferred form of hunting.

It might make sense to not let ag land get cut up below some economically viable level.

It still might result in rich guys using it as a hedge - but at least it could still be leased out for production etc.

My cousins lives in a part of TN where land (years ago) was cheap and productive, but a "big" tract was 30 acres. People had chopped it up so small over the years that the closing costs were more than the value of the land.

I don't hunt and am a big proponent of public lands. One of the very few things I actually like about government.
HTownAg98
I'd always been told that you could by land around Hearne and Cameron and still make it work for a cow/calf operation. I don't know if that's still the case. The problem is then you live near Hearne.
agfan2013
AG
HTownAg98 said:

I'd always been told that you could by land around Hearne and Cameron and still make it work for a cow/calf operation. I don't know if that's still the case. The problem is then you live near Hearne.

I doubt it, any land in the triangle of Dallas, Houston, San Antonio is really going up and even something around Hearne will be too. Easy access out of the big cities as tons of people want a small place to get out of town to. Cattle are at some nice prices right now though...

Quote:

I think if I wait a decade or two, prices will collapse
BQ_90
AG
HTownAg98 said:

that's not accurate, land in Robertson County is exploding in price. Same the closer you get to Temple.

Anything near College Station is thru the roof
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.