Outdoors
Sponsored by

Utopia/Sabinal River fishing

2,139 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by keo1
bigfoot10s
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Headed on a little getaway this week at a friends place on the Sabinal. Gonna take the kids for some fishing and I may do something other than worm and bobber. Any suggestions on what is working down there? TIA
SanAntoneAg
AG
Is it flowing?
Gig 'em! '90
bigfoot10s
AG
From what I saw in pics from the owners, it's pretty full.
AgDad121619
AG
SanAntoneAg said:

Is it flowing?
4" zoom flukes worked weedless and fat Albert grubs on a long shank jighead are consistent river bass producers
SanAntoneAg
AG
That's great. I just wonder how long it's been flowing. If it dried up, there may few if any fish.

But give it a shot and let us know.
Gig 'em! '90
MouthBQ98
AG
Green and orange rooster tail will catch almost anything in that river. Also anything that resembles a crawfish.
water turkey
I love hill country river fishing
Yordaddy
AG
My family owns a place on the sabinal between Vanderpool and Utopia (which we also rent if anyone is interested, great family get away right on the river).

I love fishing out there. Largemouth and guadalupe bass can be great if water is up. For conventional bass fishing I fish weightless brush hogs, plastic frogs if the water is up or stained, spinner baits, and zoom flukes. Normally do best on zoom flukes or brush hog jrs weightless in natural colors. Fish can be spooky so I normally let the water rest after catching a few or casting for a while.

If you fly fish, I throw wooly buggers and clousers for bass, and poppers for bass/sunfish. Occaisionally catfish will cruise by and have caught a few on san juan worms.

If you are not against throwing live bait, and this works really well, keep some of the sunfish and freeline them for bass. Almost automatic to catch some of the bigger fish. Just be attentive and don't leave baits in the water, bass will swallow the hook deep and it can kill them. Did this as a kid when I was really mad at them but haven't in years. Mostly fly fish out there now.

Enjoy and post some pics. Special place for me I love it out there.
Dirty-8-thirty Ag
AG
Mepps, H&H and Beetle Spins work great on hill country streams.
TarponChaser
Yordaddy said:

My family owns a place on the sabinal between Vanderpool and Utopia (which we also rent if anyone is interested, great family get away right on the river).

I love fishing out there. Largemouth and guadalupe bass can be great if water is up. For conventional bass fishing I fish weightless brush hogs, plastic frogs if the water is up or stained, spinner baits, and zoom flukes. Normally do best on zoom flukes or brush hog jrs weightless in natural colors. Fish can be spooky so I normally let the water rest after catching a few or casting for a while.

If you fly fish, I throw wooly buggers and clousers for bass, and poppers for bass/sunfish. Occaisionally catfish will cruise by and have caught a few on san juan worms.

If you are not against throwing live bait, and this works really well, keep some of the sunfish and freeline them for bass. Almost automatic to catch some of the bigger fish. Just be attentive and don't leave baits in the water, bass will swallow the hook deep and it can kill them. Did this as a kid when I was really mad at them but haven't in years. Mostly fly fish out there now.

Post up the info for your family rentals. Always looking for a new place to take my boys.
water turkey
TarponChaser said:

Yordaddy said:

Post up the info for your family rentals. Always looking for a new place to take my boys.

Ditto
Yordaddy
AG
PM'ed you guys to avoid hijacking the thread.
2ndChanceAg96
AG
PM everyone!! Lol
Yordaddy
AG
Okay here you go.

https://www.lostmaplesriverlodge.com/

Descriptions are a little much, I did not write them lol but its a great house. Cheaper to book directly here than through AirBnB or VRBO because less fees.
Utopia61
I am a native of Utopia. Don't live there now, but we own two places there. My sister lives on one, which is on the river one mile north of town. I spoke to her yesterday. They have had some good rains recently, but the river is still not running through at our property. Because of the drought, fishing will be tough. Small spinnerbaits, etc. are your best bet.
bigfoot10s
AG
AgDad121619 said:

SanAntoneAg said:

Is it flowing?
4" zoom flukes worked weedless and fat Albert grubs on a long shank jighead are consistent river bass producers

Weedless Texas rigged or no weight?
bigfoot10s
AG
Day 1: caught one decent bass on a Senko right next to the bank. Tried just about everything else with zero luck. Did catch a rope swing with a rattletrap…

Gonna try some tubes and more Senkos tomorrow along with more spinners.

Beautiful down here. Gonna make this a regular trip hopefully!
Mas89
AG
Crappie jigs work best for me in the Llano. For bass. On a light spinning rod fished similar to bringing in a spinner bait.
AgDad121619
AG
bigfoot10s said:

AgDad121619 said:

SanAntoneAg said:

Is it flowing?

Weedless Texas rigged or no weight?
no weight. Texas rigged with weight kills the action
keo1
AG
Keo1 Landscaping and Irrigating BCS since '91 If its growing we can mow it
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.