Outdoors
Sponsored by

Labrador / Seizure

3,358 Views | 37 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by joerobert_pete06
joerobert_pete06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
bmfvet said:

Talk to your vet about Keppra extended release and also a referral to a neurologist. Having cluster seizures like that isn't ideal. Were the liver values ever off before? Could be related to pred, could also be related to the seizures. Recurrent ear infections are almost always going to be allergy related ( environmental or food).

The previous blood work came back normal so I think the liver markers as a result of medicine he was on.

Thanks for the advice, I'll ask about Keppra
joerobert_pete06
AG
WestGalvestonAggie said:

Phenobarbital worked well for my retriever. If you haven't tried it, it might be worth a shot. His seizures were awful, but the phenobarbital pretty much kept them under control.

Thanks for the advice, I'll check it out
joerobert_pete06
AG
My lab has had two cluster seizures within the last (8) days, 1st one he had two seizures about 12hrs apart and then last night he had (4) seizures within a 4hr timeframe (between 11pm and 3am). I requested that we put him on Phenobarbital and the vet agreed with that change. Keppra was another option but it seemed like with Phenobarbital, you have the ability to monitor baseline liver markers to determine the appropriate dosage and the Keppra you could not.

Hopefully this change works because I don't think we can put up with this much longer. He is a good dog, the kids have gotten really attached and he is a great sidekick at the ranch, but this is putting a big strain on the family for sure.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.