Outdoors
Sponsored by

Turtle ID?

1,415 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 15 days ago by maroon barchetta
maroon barchetta
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Small box??

He's a little larger than a Haas avocado

Gunny456
AG
Box turtle ...yes. Most common in Texas is the Ornate and Eastern ( three toed). Does not have the markings like a Ornate so I would say Eastern (Three toed).
maroon barchetta
Thanks.

Is this one I should report to the state?
Gunny456
AG
It's form PWD 1005. You can go to TPWD web site and find it. It is for the two species of box turtles.
They just use it for tracking and monitoring the sightings. It's not like they are endangered or anything.
The Alligator Snapping Turtle has another form and is the one they are really interested in.
I have sent in many Form 1005's when sighting either of the two box turtles listed.
maroon barchetta
How do they not have an online form? Maybe I need to search more but right now I only find a version of that form you print and fill out and mail.
HydroAG
AG
Where is this located? I have a neighbor here in Bryan off Old Reliance Rd that lost a pet turtle that looks like that recently.
maroon barchetta
Southern part of the county. No way it's the same turtle unless it took an Uber.
HydroAG
AG
Haha, I would agree!
Gunny456
AG
I did not know they did not have it on line. I picked the forms up while visiting my local office. They gave me an email to scan and send it in.
Think they have a phone for the turtle project guy listed on line. ( it's on that form 1005).
maroon barchetta
I'll call them tomorrow and ask what century it is there.
maroon barchetta
Got another one! Son saw it when he was leaving to go to work. My wife went out and helped it across the road.

I tried to submit a form but both email addresses on the form came back as undeliverable. I'll call them tomorrow and get a fresh address. They need to update their form!
txags92
AG
I think they have switched to tracking them through the INaturalist app.
maroon barchetta
txags92 said:

Information that would be helpful to have on the form.
txags92
AG
maroon barchetta said:

txags92 said:

Information that would be helpful to have on the form.
Yeah, they should just get rid of the form so it doesn't keep showing up in searches. Both the Eastern and Ornate Box Turtle Species pages at TPWD have this on them now:

How You Can Help To help with the Box Turtle monitoring project, please join and contribute observations to the Herps of Texas iNaturalist project.
maroon barchetta
Thanks!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.