Outdoors
Sponsored by

Angry Vegan Doesn't Like Meat Being Cooked Next Door

9,855 Views | 102 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by SteveBott
Irish 2.0
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Australian vegan pens nasty note to neighbor for hosting BBQ

Quote:

An Australian vegan has had enough of their neighbor's meat cooking ways, penning a scathing letter to the house next door after the smell of a backyard BBQ apparently made the vegan feel sick.
Quote:

The letter came after Sarah's neighbor, identified as Kylie, hosted a backyard BBQ gathering with friends to celebrate the coronation of King Charles III. The smell of meat apparently infuriated Sarah, who had previously written a letter to Kylie asking her to close her kitchen window while cooking meat for dinner.
Quote:

"Hello neighbour, could you please shut your side window when cooking please. My family are vegan (we eat only plant based foods) and the smell of the meat you cook makes us feel sick and upset. We would appreciate your understanding," reads the first letter sent from Sarah to Kylie.

However, Kylie opted to disregard the request and hosted a cookout, prompting Sarah to warn that this was the "last warning" she would give while threatening to report her neighbor for cooking meat so close to her family.

"Hello Kylie, you are taking the mickey out of me and have been downright rude," the letter read. "I raised my concerns of the smell of meat making my family sick and upset and you go and have a BBQ on Saturday night, inviting lots of people and you knew this would affect me and my family."

If I had a neighbor like this, I would cook meat on the grill every freaking night! On top of that, I'd smoke a brisket or pork butt too. I'd have the wonderful aroma of meat surrounding the vegan's house 24/7!!
aggiederelict
I feel like a story like this once a year makes the rounds. Makes you wonder.
AgBQ-00
AG
Vegans are delicious!!

Tx95Ag
AG
I'd be angry too if all I could eat was vegetables.
SanAntoneAg
AG
AgBQ-00 said:

Vegans are delicious!!

Gig 'em! '90
Dirty-8-thirty Ag
AG
Vegans/Vegetarians same idiots to me.
BQ_90
AG
Dirty-8-thirty Ag said:

Vegans/Vegetarians same idiots to me.

more like dear vegetarians, my food literally craps out your food
Smeghead4761
I saw another similar one on the U.S. Army WTF! FB/IG feed purportedly from a vegan soldier at Ft Leonard Wood complaining about the smell of grilling when he ran through base housing areas.
pete_claw98
AG
Why do vegans eat all of the animals food supply? Isn't that cruel to those poor staving animals?
GeorgiAg
AG
Y'all are wrong, veganism gets you jacked!!!
JustPanda
AG
Vegetarian diet decreases the risk of almost all cancers. As someone w a predisposition, I'll cut my cancer risks wherever possible.
Picard
AG
JustPanda said:

Vegetarian diet decreases the risk of almost all cancers. As someone w a predisposition, I'll cut my cancer risks wherever possible.

Panda is meat also FYI

SteveBott
AG
Seeing this story on a regular basis. Not sure if this one is being recycled or becoming more common.
tmaggies
AG
JustPanda said:

You do you and we will continue to consume delicious animals
TarponChaser
JustPanda said:

Not true.

There's like one study from 30 years ago saying that and it was more correlation than causal because they failed to isolate for other behaviors like smoking, excessive drinking, and exercise.
JustPanda
AG
Fake News - there have been several studies over the last couple of years showing the health benefits. You're welcome to have your opinion though.
TarponChaser
JustPanda said:

Fake News - there have been several studies over the last couple of years showing the health benefits. You're welcome to have your opinion though.

That BS "documentary" from James Cameron that was roundly debunked doesn't count as a study.

The data shows meat consumption is essential to human health and a vegan diet is unhealthy.
Shoefly!
AG
Hang a kangaroo in a tree and gut, skin it, and throw some on the pit!
fullback44
AG
Irish 2.0 said:

Australian vegan pens nasty note to neighbor for hosting BBQ

Quote:

An Australian vegan has had enough of their neighbor's meat cooking ways, penning a scathing letter to the house next door after the smell of a backyard BBQ apparently made the vegan feel sick.
Quote:

The letter came after Sarah's neighbor, identified as Kylie, hosted a backyard BBQ gathering with friends to celebrate the coronation of King Charles III. The smell of meat apparently infuriated Sarah, who had previously written a letter to Kylie asking her to close her kitchen window while cooking meat for dinner.
Quote:

"Hello neighbour, could you please shut your side window when cooking please. My family are vegan (we eat only plant based foods) and the smell of the meat you cook makes us feel sick and upset. We would appreciate your understanding," reads the first letter sent from Sarah to Kylie.

However, Kylie opted to disregard the request and hosted a cookout, prompting Sarah to warn that this was the "last warning" she would give while threatening to report her neighbor for cooking meat so close to her family.

"Hello Kylie, you are taking the mickey out of me and have been downright rude," the letter read. "I raised my concerns of the smell of meat making my family sick and upset and you go and have a BBQ on Saturday night, inviting lots of people and you knew this would affect me and my family."

If I had a neighbor like this, I would cook meat on the grill every freaking night! On top of that, I'd smoke a brisket or pork butt too. I'd have the wonderful aroma of meat surrounding the vegan's house 24/7!!

I would smoke different meets all week ..in fact smoke some livers or cow hearts .. they can stink to high heaven sometimes

what a weirdo to try and tell someone you don't even know what to do .. I would write her a letter and tell her to stay out of my business and that if you don't like the smell of my cooking I suggest you leave !
Stringfellow Hawke
AG
JustPanda said:

That is not the point. The point is a self absorbed individual trying to dictate to others how to live their lives.
JustPanda
AG
Obsession noted
texAZtea
AG
Post your sources.

Lots of accomplished scientists on this board.

If your sources can stand up to the scrutiny, I'll eat crow a plant based crow substitute.
BrazosDog02
AG
JustPanda said:

It's not a big secret that eating a lot of red meat increases your risk for colon cancer. It's well documented.

My mother died of colon cancer. I'm aware of most of the research. I haven't stopped eating red meat. Now, I only eat it about once or twice a week. I also don't eat slabs of butter like I did as a kid. I did eat 2 lbs of brisket Tuesday at the TSCRA ranch gathering though and I don't feel guilty about it. Lol.

The trick, like for anything in life, is moderation. If you're eating a pound of beef every day, then you have other issues to worry about first way before the cancer becomes a problem. Lol.

But as stated, none of that is the point of the OP. If you want to chain smoke on your porch, that's not my business. Same with vegan and the bbq guy. Mind ya business.
Thunderstormr
AG
Tuffke ****ski!
Hoyt Ag
AG
Ask about their Meatless Mondays mandate they want enforced.
Claude!
The proper response:
Aggie_Boomin 21
AG
JustPanda said:

Post sources.

And do you at a minimum supplement B12, creatine, carnosine and/or beta-alanine, D3, DHA, iron, calcium, zinc, and protein?

If you aren't, then you're most likely nutrient deficient in a way that is much more likely to decrease your quality of life than the potential small increase in cancer risk.
GeorgiAg
AG
TarponChaser
Aggie_Boomin 21 said:

JustPanda said:

Post sources.

And do you at a minimum supplement B12, creatine, carnosine and/or beta-alanine, D3, DHA, iron, calcium, zinc, and protein?

If you aren't, then you're most likely nutrient deficient in a way that is much more likely to decrease your quality of life than the potential small increase in cancer risk.

Virtually all the data from the last 10 years or so shows that the directives on diet basically from most of the 20th and early 21st century is absolutely terrible for your health.

All the stuff about low-fat, high-carb, lots of grains, etc is terrible for us. Eat the least processed stuff you can get. Meat (not processed stuff), fish, fresh veggies (not grains or starches), real fruit, and real butter.

Growing up my mother was so terrified of fat/cholesterol she pushed margarine over real butter and now all the data shows that real butter is far healthier and not remotely the health risk it was once thought. Especially if you go with high quality, grass-fed butter like Kerry Gold.

There have been numerous studies recently debunking the prior claims about red meat causing cancer and the biggest criticism the folks advocating for the plant-based diets have is "it undermines public trust because we've been telling them red meat is bad for you for years."

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/30/health/red-meat-heart-cancer.html

https://www.doctorkiltz.com/does-red-meat-cause-cancer/

https://bigthink.com/health/red-meat-cancer-not-health-risk/
GeorgiAg
AG
Bradley.Kohr.II
AG
Colon cancer is pretty well caused by food preservatives/excess nitrates.

It's not the meat itself.
Bradley.Kohr.II
AG
Its always surprises me, how many people send letters which claim to be from various prominent attorneys.
texAZtea
AG
No one is posting peer reviewed primary sources for either side. News articles are notoriously bad at interpreting research so I didn't read them even though I probably agree with them.

But also sadpanda hasn't posted anything in the way of a source at all, so I'll continue my bloodmouth carnist tendencies and be happier for it.
GAC06
AG
I'd tell the neighbor to eat **** but she probably already does
BrazosDog02
AG
Bradley.Kohr.II said:

Colon cancer is pretty well caused by food preservatives/excess nitrates.

It's not the meat itself.

Some studies have suggested that. Some studies have suggested it's related to high temps used for cooking. In other words, they don't know their ass from a hole in the ground yet. It's linked. And the pinpoint reason is not fully understood. So, me not being a big fat brisket eating burger chomping pig every single meal even though that's what I want to do is a prudent and healthier means of living.

I will switch to fried pickles and mushrooms….you know…vegetables and stuff. Way healthier.

Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.