Outdoors
Sponsored by

Pistol Recommendations

5,608 Views | 55 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by GeorgiAg
Smeghead4761
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Something nobody has mentioned yet: grip angle. Glocks (and possibly Glock clones like the PSA Dagger) have a more raked grip angle than pretty much every other pistol on the market.

This is one reason it is HIGHLY recommended to find a range that rents and try before you buy.

I started on pistols with a SiG P220 and the M9 (Beretta 92), then got a Kimber 1911 clone (this was in 2000, before Kimber got super popular and had some QC issues.)

The grip angle on Glocks annoys the heck out of me. It just doesn't 'point' naturally for me. This is especially obvious when using a red dot. (I own a Glock because I had to carry one at work as a cop.)

I've carried an M&P for over a decade, and used a competition version in 3-gun and Run-n-Gun for almost as long, and had no issues. One thing I like about the M&P is, IMO, it has the best swap out size adjustment grip inserts of any pistol on the market. I have big hands, and I like the fact that the large grip inserts actually swell out a little and make the grip rounders, instead of just making it a deeper rectangle front to back.

That said, it's hard to go wrong with a polymer frame, striker fired 9mm from a major manufacturer these days. Glock, S&W, SiG, CZ.

Another option might be, before you buy, find a training class where the instructor will provide a gun if you don't have one. Then talk to the instructor(s) about what they recommend. Instructors have seen tons of different guns, and they know which ones hold up and which ones don't. (Any gun they provide will be on the list of ones that do, because those see REALLY heavy use.) Also, students who bring their guns will generally be happy to show you theirs and at least let you coonfinger it, if not shoot it.
average_joker
AG
What you really need is an FK Brno 7.5.
CTGilley
AG
P.U.T.U said:

So many choices, G19 is a good base, P10C is on sale now and offers most of the same features, PSA Dagger is a copy of the G19, I have had good luck with mine, P365 series and Hellcat are safe bets, and lots of other options. 9mm offers good stopping power is is cost effective to practice on.

If you are not going to conceal carry a weapon a G19 or larger is a safe bet, I like the ability to put on a stronger weapons light than what is available on most subcompacts.

I have seen several videos on how PSA out Glocked Glock with the dagger. Cheap gun with lots of features. I have considered picking one up. ~$300 for optic ready G19 sounds like a steal. (Sales and buying in 2 parts)

I just don't need another 9mm.
Texas Yarddog
AG
+1 on going to a range and trying out as many pistol types and sizes as you can. I wasn't a glock guy until I did that and found that the more "raked" grip pf the glocks worked better for me.
Ogre09
AG
I'm not seeing much love for Springfield XD series on here.
Fannie Luddite
AG
Ogre09 said:

I'm not seeing much love for Springfield XDs on here.
Well, at least some models have been discontinued, replaced by the Hellcat.
DatTallArchitect
AG
Ogre09 said:

I'm not seeing much love for Springfield XDs on here.
That's because Springfield sold out the 2nd amendment to gun grabbers. I'll never buy a Springfield new or used
grbgolf
AG
Another vote for a Beretta 92 or Sig 229/226. The Beretta I would get a decocker only model. I am a fan of da/sa pistols especially for learning and safety. Also very easy to upgrade the trigger down the road with a LTT trigger for the 92 or a SRT for the sig and your single action will be like a 1911 trigger with a smooth double action.
civilized05
AG
The only real answer is a Desert Eagle .50

Kyle Field Shade Chaser
AG
CZ P10C in 9mm and then tell Glock 19 to hold your beer.

Eliminatus
AG
Durkin Nowitzki said:

CZ P10C in 9mm and then tell Glock 19 to hold your beer.

Saw some on sale for $350 OR versions online. I don't know how I don't have one of these already. And sold out of that batch but CZ is basically firesaling right now. I have never seen these low of prices on a monthly basis.

If anyone wants to get in on CZ handguns, (where everyone should emphatically nod) now is the time to pay attention. They had $900 brand new Shadow 2s last month for example. (SA version though). Sub $400 on their polymer models is almost norm now if you have a little patience and pay attention to online sales.
DTP02
AG
PSA has CZ P10Cs on sale right now.
aggiesundevil4
AG
After reading all the reasonable advice, here is my recommendation: Dan Wesson 10mm Kodiak hand cannon. It's my favorite pistol. And in the words of Boris the Blade "it is heavy. Heavy is good. If it doesn't work you can always hit them with it."

gibberish
AG
aggiesundevil4 said:

After reading all the reasonable advice, here is my recommendation: Dan Wesson 10mm Kodiak hand cannon. It's my favorite pistol. And in the words of Boris the Blade "it is heavy. Heavy is good. If it doesn't work you can always hit them with it."

He is not wrong where grizzlies maybe of concern and Dan Wesson makes great guns for the money.
AG81
AG
I'll add the .40 caliber. Kinda like combining the .45 and the 9mm. I'm all about stopping power. I have the .45, a .40, a 38 special and a couple of 9mm. Someone breaks into my house and I can't reach my shotgun, I'm grabbing my 1911 .45.

Regardless, practice, practice, practice. And use hollow point bullets when you're using for protection.
InfantryAg
AG
You can disregard about 80% of what's been posted if you want to do this correctly.

Backgrounds on the posters will show you the bulk are hobbyists.

The best way and best value is to take a class with a qualified instructor. Use either a borrowed or rented striker fired gun.

After you understand the fundamentals and how to run a gun (load, reload, malfunctions, stoppages etc) you can make an informed decision. Try a Glock and try a any other modern polymer pistol to see which angle works for you.

Is this an additional cost, yes. But if you truly want to defend yourself, the training is way more valuable than the gun. Buy a high performance car with no driving course, you become the limiting factor; Same for guns.
agsalaska
AG
NM
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.

Elko is a loser and we will be buying him out for some obscene amount of money in two years. - Agsalaska

Allen76
AG
GeorgiAg said:

Oh and one more benefit of the revolver - you don't have to take it apart to clean it. Easy peasy and quick. I have some guns where even the dude in the Youtube video is cussing taking it apart and putting it back together. I have a Colt Woodsman .22 pistol that I will never take apart again. If it dies, it dies. Glocks are super easy to clean, and Sigs aren't that bad either but not as easy as the Glock, IMHO.

The Glock 19 people suggested above is great starter gun.

My buddy has a Kimber revolver that is a good gun. I don't remember the model.
haha..... I took apart a Colt Woodsman .22 once and when I put it back together I had two parts left over! One was a tiny spring and I think the other was a pin. This was before you could look it up on Youtube.

Anyway I let a friend take it and he brought it back to me the next day all put together correctly!

But these days, most modern semi-Autos are extremely simple to take apart and put back together. The Colt Woodsman I have belonged to my dad, and he said he bought it off a soldier who was hitchhiking. I am going to guess that was in the 1940's.
Allen76
AG
Oh, and I own a CZ 75 SP-01. You can't beat it for the ease of shooting accurately.

I don't see where the OP ever came back and said what he wanted to get a handgun for, but if it is just for fun and the experience of learning about handguns, I suggest that sort of pistol that is large, moderately heavy, has very little recoil, and almost anyone can shoot it accurately with just a little practice.
tdm89
Maroon Boomslang said:

I'm on the same page. Walther PDP compact. Can run either 15+1 or 18+1. Meets everyone's suggestion of a Glock style trigger\safety but with a weapon that just seems to conform to your grip. Not to mention the upgrade in triggers over most if not all of the other pistols mentioned
GeorgiAg
AG
Allen76 said:

GeorgiAg said:

Oh and one more benefit of the revolver - you don't have to take it apart to clean it. Easy peasy and quick. I have some guns where even the dude in the Youtube video is cussing taking it apart and putting it back together. I have a Colt Woodsman .22 pistol that I will never take apart again. If it dies, it dies. Glocks are super easy to clean, and Sigs aren't that bad either but not as easy as the Glock, IMHO.

The Glock 19 people suggested above is great starter gun.

My buddy has a Kimber revolver that is a good gun. I don't remember the model.
haha..... I took apart a Colt Woodsman .22 once and when I put it back together I had two parts left over! One was a tiny spring and I think the other was a pin. This was before you could look it up on Youtube.

Anyway I let a friend take it and he brought it back to me the next day all put together correctly!

But these days, most modern semi-Autos are extremely simple to take apart and put back together. The Colt Woodsman I have belonged to my dad, and he said he bought it off a soldier who was hitchhiking. I am going to guess that was in the 1940's.
Yeah, that one had the youtube video where even the gunsmith was dropping f bombs.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.