Outdoors
Sponsored by

Pistol Recommendations

5,567 Views | 55 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by GeorgiAg
Booma94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Also posted in General, but since the experts likely reside here...

I am admittedly not a gun guy, but am considering purchasing a pistol. Not wanting to get hoodwinked by a gun salesman and trying to avoid looking like a complete rube I am coming to this board for recommendations. Also, I know that one's gun preference is like one's taste in food or beer- deeply personal.

Nevertheless, I am seeking recommendations for a good entry-level gun. Caliber, brand, approximate cost (best bang for the buck- pun intended).

Thanks in advance.
GeorgiAg
AG
Incoming!

Edit: You should go to a range where you can rent guns. Shoot a bunch and then go buy the one you like. I think a 9mm is a good starter gun. Not much kick and cheap ammo. A Sig Sauer P365 is good starter gun.

Edit2: My current favorite gun to shoot is the Smith & Wesson 686 revolver. This shoots 38 special or 357 magnum. So you can choose your "kick." I also shoot off my back porch, so this doesn't spit spent shells I have to pick up under my porch furniture and all over my back yard. I can drop them in a trash can.
Mas89
AG
Glock model 19. 9mm. Buy a new one and go take lessons.
Ogre09
AG
What is your goal and intended use?

A handgun may not be your best option.
GeorgiAg
AG
Ogre09 said:

What is your goal and intended use?
Also it would be good to know if you are M/F and if you want it for concealed carry.
Eliminatus
AG
Two burning questions that need to be answered first otherwise it is a crapshoot and everything will be applicable.

1. What is your intended usage?
2. Do you have a budget?

This will really help narrow down options for you.

Orrrrrr……get a Glock 19. It is probably the most common and widely accepted "Do-all" pistol that can be found anywhere. And I say that not as a Glock fanboy.
80sGeorge
AG
What's your intended use?
What's your budget?

Given that the OB will give you several suggestions (some of which may be over budget, lol) which you then can rent at a range hopefully.
ConstructionAg01
AG
This is a good place to start: https://www.pewpewtactical.com/best-9mm-pistols/

For your first handgun, avoid micro compacts (Sig 365, M&P Shield, G43, Hellcat, etc). They will be easy to conceal, but harder to shoot well. Not what you want to learn fundamentals with. If you have no intention of carrying in the foreseeable future then get something with a full size frame (Glock 17, Sig P320, VP9, CZ SP-01) which will be easier to shoot well. Stick to a common pistol which will have plenty of options for holsters, easy to find extra mags, and more aftermarket support for upgraded sights and such.
agsalaska
AG
You came to the right place. We are all knowing. Especially me for the record.

There are lots of great options but like others have said to rent some. If you can't or don't want to do that then I would suggest a Glock 19 or a Smith & Wesson M&P. Something that feels natural in your hand.

But a couple of things most of us will agree on assuming you are getting a pistol

Get it in 9mm
Do NOT get one with an external safety unless you plan on practicing for thousands of hours.
Don't worry so much about capacity. Most will be hold ten or more which is fine.
Buy, and this is important, several hundred rounds of practice (fmj) and sec defense(usually called JHP) ammo. Shoot it about 300 times and make at least 100 of those with the hollow points.
Learn how to clean it.

It probably sounds a little daunting at first but it is fun as hell.

You will be sticker shocked by ammo. When you pick your gun tell us and we will point you in the right direction on buying ammo online for half the price.

The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
DatTallArchitect
AG
If you are wanting to learn how to shoot a pistol well and start off creating good habits, get a .22 pistol. A Ruger Mark IV or a Browning Buckmark are excellent selections.

If you are wanting something for self defense, look at the Sig P365
GeorgiAg
AG
Oh and one more benefit of the revolver - you don't have to take it apart to clean it. Easy peasy and quick. I have some guns where even the dude in the Youtube video is cussing taking it apart and putting it back together. I have a Colt Woodsman .22 pistol that I will never take apart again. If it dies, it dies. Glocks are super easy to clean, and Sigs aren't that bad either but not as easy as the Glock, IMHO.

The Glock 19 people suggested above is great starter gun.

My buddy has a Kimber revolver that is a good gun. I don't remember the model.
AgCMT
AG
Go ahead and get that Glock 19 in MOS. You'll want to put a red dot on it before too long.
agsalaska
AG
The Kimber revolver is a K6. They make a few different versions of it and it is a fantastic gun.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
Booma94
AG
To address some questions.

1. To quote Mike Gundy- "I'm a man. I'm 40" (50 actually).
2. Intended use is home protection and safety while traveling on the road. Not really interested in concealed carry.
3. Budget- the least I can spend and get a quality piece.

I did a minimal amount of hunting and shooting as a teen and young adult, so I'm aware of the basics even though it's been a long time since I've done any shooting. Not a complete shooting novice, although I admit I will need to take a class to brush up on general safety and practices.
Eliminatus
AG
I'd say go handle a Glock 19 and a CZ P-01 then. They are both extremely well respected and reliable, can be consistently found around the ~$500 brand new and are what I consider the two ends of the pistol world mechanically speaking while still being very reliable and cheap.

G19 is the polymer, striker fired do it all. Great gun.

CZ P-01 is a metal framed, hammer fired type of do all pistol.

Pretty much everything else falls in between. You have to see what pros and cons you like best. Just figure out which end of the spectrum you like best and works for your hand.

The gun nerd in me says try the CZ first. Love em! Huge fan boy. But the practical side of me says start with the G19 first.
DatTallArchitect
AG
Booma94 said:

2. Intended use is home protection and safety while traveling on the road. Not really interested in concealed carry.
With that said, go to a range that rents pistols. Try out as many different 9mm pistols as you can and see what you shoot the best with. I'd try shooting them off handed as well. There are a lot of good choices in 9mm
Bradley.Kohr.II
AG
I'd suggest a 7 shot 686 with a red dot/laser grips.

Really easy to just pick up and use, and revolvers handle being "left alone" better than semi-autos. (Semis handle use far far better)

Not sure if you wear glasses, but lasers/optics make life much easier.

Glocks are excellent, but require practice. IMO, a revolver is a much better option for someone who's not as interested in shooting.
Daddy-O5
AG
I think the P365 Macro might be one of the best "do it all" pistols on the market these days.

Also agree that given the time, go test drive a few at your local range. Lots of good options already thrown around here. Lots of it will depend on personal comfort.
malenurse
AG
I am shocked! Shocked, I say, that no one has recommended a Staccato P5 yet.
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But, it's still on the list.
AggieT
AG
I agree with the Macro. One of my favorite pistols. However, for a first pistol I'd go full size.

Try a Sig P226.
Ogre09
AG
It is much more difficult to accurately shoot a handgun than a shotgun or rifle. Take a handgun class or watch a bunch of videos. Practice. A lot. Get a full size 9mm.
P.U.T.U
AG
So many choices, G19 is a good base, P10C is on sale now and offers most of the same features, PSA Dagger is a copy of the G19, I have had good luck with mine, P365 series and Hellcat are safe bets, and lots of other options. 9mm offers good stopping power is is cost effective to practice on.

If you are not going to conceal carry a weapon a G19 or larger is a safe bet, I like the ability to put on a stronger weapons light than what is available on most subcompacts.
gibberish
AG
Glock 19 is a great choice, but I end up prefer the Glock 45, and add the radian ramjet/afterburner.
80sGeorge
AG
Just some options in full size. Tried to stick high capacity, full size, ability to add a light, "quality" mfrs, etc. really hope these link show pics, sorry if not.

https://grabagun.com/cz-usa-p09-9mm-duty-19rd.html

https://grabagun.com/sig-320f9b-320-9mm-strkr-blk-14r.html

https://grabagun.com/beretta-apx-a1-fs-9mm-4-25-barrel-17-rounds-front-night-sight.html

https://grabagun.com/glock-17-9mm-fixed-sights-17rd.html

https://grabagun.com/glock-17-9mm-fixed-sights-17rd.html

https://grabagun.com/glock-pa175s203-g17-gen5-semi-auto.html

https://grabagun.com/sig-sauer-xmacro-tacops-9mm-3-7-barrel-17-rounds.html

https://grabagun.com/heckler-and-koch-vp9-9mm-4-1-barrel-17-rounds-3-dot-sights.html

Bonus OB Specials-

https://grabagun.com/wilson-combat-wcp320-9mm-4-7-barrel-17-rounds-fiber-optic-sights.html

https://grabagun.com/b-t-ghm9-gen-2-compact-9mm-4-barrel-30-rounds-flip-up-sights.html

https://grabagun.com/glock-17-gen-5-9mm-4-49-barrel-17-rounds-3-mags.html

https://grabagun.com/dan-wesson-pointman-nine-pm-9-stainless-9mm-5-barrel-9-rounds.html

https://staccato2011.com/products/staccato-p/

https://www.wilsoncombat.com/edc-x9/
agsalaska
AG
Here you go OP.

Gun- There are many other good options but these are two- Both in 9mm

Glock 19
SMITH M&P

IF you absolutely insist on a safety, get one of these. It is a grip safety that is activated by gripping the gun

S&W Equalizer

Then get these for practice- buy 500

WWB 9mm 115gr FMJ

And these for carry/defense- Buy 200

Federal HST 124gr

Ignore anyone who tells you to get a shotgun or an AR. Yes those are awesome. Yes they are effective. But let those be your second guns. Same with a revolver, though if you get the right revolver it might be OK. I carry a revolver. So does my wife. While they have many advantages actually hitting what you are aiming at takes more practice. But if you insist, get a S&W 686 7 shot .357.

If you are recoil sensitive, which a lot of people are, get a .380. It is less powerful than a 9mm but effective enough and far more effective than a miss with a 9mm. I would get this if that applies to you

S&W EZ Shield

If you go that way just change the practice ammo to .380 and get this for HD

Hornady Critical Defense .380

Aint nothing wrong with a .380. Its most important to be honest with yourself on that one.

Last, these are just examples and there are plenty of other quality firearms and ammunition. If you have any questions feel free to post it here. Our opinions are free.

ghollow
AG
A lot of great guns out there. You really can't go wrong with most everything listed here. It usually comes down to what feels better to you and your budget.

My favorite gun to shoot right now is my 9mm Beretta 92FS. It is easy to handle, double action, great safety, and will shoot any kind of cheap ammo out there. It has large grips which is nice if you have big hands.
So the greatest civilization is one where all citizens are equally armed and can only be persuaded, never forced. It removes force from the equation... and that's why carrying a gun is a civilized act.
Tumble Weed
Sig p320 9mm if you want an auto.

S&W 686 357 if you want a revolver.

I prefer revolvers. Glad that the wheel guns are getting some love on this thread.
Pookers
AG
GeorgiAg said:

Incoming!

Edit: You should go to a range where you can rent guns. Shoot a bunch and then go buy the one you like. I think a 9mm is a good starter gun. Not much kick and cheap ammo. A Sig Sauer P365 is good starter gun.

Edit2: My current favorite gun to shoot is the Smith & Wesson 686 revolver. This shoots 38 special or 357 magnum. So you can choose your "kick." I also shoot off my back porch, so this doesn't spit spent shells I have to pick up under my porch furniture and all over my back yard. I can drop them in a trash can.

686 squad assemble.
agsalaska
AG
Tumble Weed said:

Sig p320 9mm if you want an auto.

S&W 686 357 if you want a revolver.

I prefer revolvers. Glad that the wheel guns are getting some love on this thread.

I think a 686 is the best choice if a newbie wants to go revolver. Especially with a seven shot cylinder and .38+p. Either that or a Kimber K6.

But it is still a lot more work to learn how to actually hit **** with them. I carry a Ruger LCR at least half of the time. But I have also shot revolvers eleventy billion times.

It is a great second gun.
UTExan
I was worried about the revolver hate until 686 showed up. Still recommend the do it all Ruger SP101 wheelgun in 9 mm or .357. Learn to shoot with a revolver and autopistol gets a lot easier.
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
GeorgiAg
AG
Pookers said:

GeorgiAg said:

Incoming!

686 squad assemble.

ok i googled it. What is that?
Ag 11
AG
AggieT said:

Try a Sig P226.

Favorite pistol I own

Maroon Boomslang
Maroon Boomslang
AG
agsalaska
AG

Get one of these.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.