Outdoors
Sponsored by

Old western (abandoned? movie set?) town near Chapel Hill/Brenham off HWY 290

4,568 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by duge60
texags08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
schmellba99 said:

HtownAg92 said:

schmellba99 said:

Tony Franklins Other Shoe said:

NoahAg said:

Somerville Steakhouse AND Square One are closed?!?
Is Mr. G's Pizza in downtown Bryan still around?
I should better just stay off TexAgs.
Uhhh, you have heard about the Cow Hop, right?
And Fitzwilly's
Sooooo New Army.

Deluxe Burger Bar, Wing Joint, Flying Tomato or GTFO.

Those were all there when Fitz's was around.

Zapatos trash can nachos!!!
S.A. Aggie
AG
Tony Franklins Other Shoe said:

NoahAg said:

Somerville Steakhouse AND Square One are closed?!?
Is Mr. G's Pizza in downtown Bryan still around?
I should better just stay off TexAgs.
Uhhh, you have heard about the Cow Hop, right?

I'm still waiting for the historical marker to be put up. The CH was one of a kind!
agfan2013
AG
malenurse said:

Old Army, what was the place in Snook that had all you can eat catfish and chicken?

Czech Tex? I dont remember them offering all you can eat chicken and catfish but that would be the only place as Sodalacks is the only other American food type place in town and theyre still open and definitely have never offered that.

Quote:

Loved hitting that up on tuesdays. Was around $15 bucks if I remember right, and me and a few buddies could make a meal off that splitting the cost. Was great for a poor college kid's budget.
HtownAg92
AG
agfan2013 said:

malenurse said:

Old Army, what was the place in Snook that had all you can eat catfish and chicken?

Czech Tex? I dont remember them offering all you can eat chicken and catfish but that would be the only place as Sodalacks is the only other American food type place in town and theyre still open and definitely have never offered that.

Quote:

Loved hitting that up on tuesdays. Was around $15 bucks if I remember right, and me and a few buddies could make a meal off that splitting the cost. Was great for a poor college kid's budget.
You should have been around for La Taq. $15 could have gotten you 4 meals.

Probably not the same place, but there was an all-you-can-eat catfish and grilled chicken place in Bryan called Big Daddy's around '90.

Other late '80's / early '90's bygones -- Fajita Rita's, Sticky Chins, Grapevine, Imperial Chinese (zombies!), Ferrari's, Garcia's, Bullwinkle's, $1 dozen shrimp or pound of crawfish happy hours at the Tap, Beetle's BBQ and the boat near Bryan Muni golf course, Archie's 39 cent hamburgers, A&M Steakhouse, Leaning Tower Special from Emilio's Pizza, Bernie's on campus.
RightWingConspirator
AG
I had a buddy who had a lease on the Moody ranch out near Del Rio. That place had the old town (saloon, *****house) from Lonesome Dove. It was pretty cool. Nobody bothered to take it down.
agsalaska
AG
The boat is still there. I ate there about a year ago.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
Burdizzo
AG
RightWingConspirator said:

I had a buddy who had a lease on the Moody ranch out near Del Rio. That place had the old town (saloon, *****house) from Lonesome Dove. It was pretty cool. Nobody bothered to take it down.

The original set from the 1950s Alamo movie at Bracketville is still standing.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alamo_Village

It was a tourist trap for many years. My family has pictures from a visit there in the 1960s. John Wayne actually began construction..The buildings are still standing, but the tourist trap closed a few years ago.
HtownAg92
AG
agsalaska said:

The boat is still there. I ate there about a year ago.
Awesome. Like every boat / oyster bar, it had the coldest beer in town. I cooled off many times after roasting through 18 at Pebble Beach - Aggieland a/k/a Bryan Muni.
Aggie304
Hay&Pecans said:

Winklemann, Tx. I've heard the guy wanted to create his own town/ tourist attraction but it never worked out.

Correct, bank wound up owning it
duge60
Still is a place in New Baden
All you can eat catfish on fridays
All you can eat sirloins on Saturdays
I think it was an old post office or general store

If Winkelman village would have been 20 years later it would be awesome
They also had gunfights on weekends ( no not real)
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.