Outdoors
Sponsored by

1945 National Rifle Match Championship medal

1,102 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by rather be fishing
rather be fishing
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I was sorting through some tubs of stuff I moved up from Texas last summer to sell our house and came across my grandfather's Eagle Scout stuff and also this medal from the 1945 ROTC Rifle Match Championships. A&M College Team #1 took 1st place in Team Service Command.

txrancher69
AG
Cool stuff, treasure it all.
So three conspiracy theorists walk into a bar.................You can't convince me that's a coincidence.
Shoefly!
AG
Those would look nice in a shadow box.
dcbowers
AG
I would imagine that the 1945 ROTC Rifle Match Championships was very competitive.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
bmfvet
AG
Made by agrams!
‘99
Bradley.Kohr.II
AG
I had a picture framed, so that it was glass on the back as well- so the writing on the back could be read.

I'd frame it, with the anti-reflective glass, on both sides.
rather be fishing
AG
Bradley.Kohr.II said:

I had a picture framed, so that it was glass on the back as well- so the writing on the back could be read.

I'd frame it, with the anti-reflective glass, on both sides.
That's a good idea. The amount of keepsake crap I've got is overwhelming at this point, but really need to do something so it's not just sitting in a tub in storage.
AgLA06
AG
dcbowers said:

I would imagine that the 1945 ROTC Rifle Match Championships was very competitive.
Normally the opposite during wars. Everyone was abroad fighting. There weren't many upper classman on campuses those days because many enlisted to get in to the action. I think I remember a story of A&M being like a ghost town in 1942.

With stories of most forces staying overseas long after victory, I wonder how many were back domestically to compete.

Really cool no matter what.
rather be fishing
AG
AgLA06 said:

dcbowers said:

Normally the opposite during wars. Everyone was abroad fighting. There weren't many upper classman on campuses those days because many enlisted to get in to the action. I think I remember a story of A&M being like a ghost town in 1942.

With stories of most forces staying overseas long after victory, I wonder how many were back domestically to compete.

Really cool no matter what.
My grandfather and his twin brother started out c/o '48 and spent part of their first semester on campus, and he said no one really did anything because they were all expecting they'd be heading off to basic training before the end of the school year. They enlisted in the Navy with a couple of other guys from Belton that they grew up with, all ended up on the same boat (USS Windham Bay) and toured around the Pacific for a few months before the war ended. Went back to A&M on the GI bill and finished in 3 years so he didn't have to pay for anything.

Funny story about when they enlisted, both twins were colorblind, so they sent their friend Bob Carlisle in ahead of them for the eye exam and he just read off the chart real loud so they could memorize it.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.