Outdoors
Sponsored by

TX Ice Storm 2023 > Uri 2021

19,254 Views | 168 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Bregxit
TikkaShooter
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anyone else waking up to major ice damage? Fortunate that no trees hang near the house, but this is far and away heavier ice and worse tree damage than winter storm Uri, since that stuff turned snow pretty quickly.

Going to be a lot of chainsaw and polesaw work to be done after this.

What a punch in the junk. No decent rain for 18 months then when we do get precipitation....MFing ice.
agsalaska
AG
We lost power in Belton at about 6am this morning. Fireplace is roaring.
2ndChanceAg96
AG
I live out in Hockley and thank the lord the temps only got to 34 degrees. Uri sucked for us.
AggieOO
in round rock, but this ice is nothing compared to a couple years ago. There's a lot, but its not as bad.
TikkaShooter
I knew it was bad when I heard thunder at 3am, but couldn't hear anything on the metal roof.

Flashlight revealed heavy heavy icing.

Couldn't decide if I wanted coffee, whiskey, or more sleep.

150 year old oaks leaning heavyyyyy
chet98
AG
in NW Austin and concur about the level of ice. We had 7 or 8 inches of snow in 2021 but not this amount of ice. Trees exploding all around us and on our lot. Brutal.
ReloadAg
AG
We're in northwest Austin too and have a ton of big oak trees on our lot. Woke up at 5am to the sickening sound of crashing branches and it's continued all morning. Still have power and the house hasn't been damaged but it's terrible to see so many trees being damaged.
chet98
AG
Pretty much my exact situation. Most of our tree damage has been cedars but have a few oak limbs down and they're looking pretty sad right now.

Cedar on our property line. Likely a total loss.
agsalaska
AG
Leave it to old man Stanley to take the best seat in the house.
TikkaShooter
Sorry guys, feeling your pain. Just took a walk around our place. Every cedar elm is damaged. Any tall cedars have lost limbs. Oak trees that didn't get a free trim during Uri are now caught up, the remained leaning heavy. Additional ice and wind today will be brutal.

House is ok. Which is good. But lets be honest...I can't replace century old oaks. Painful to see.
dubi
AG
TikkaShooter said:

Sorry guys, feeling your pain. Just took a walk around our place. Every cedar elm is damaged. Any tall cedars have lost limbs. Oak trees that didn't get a free trim during Uri are now caught up, the remained leaning heavy. Additional ice and wind today will be brutal.

House is ok. Which is good. But lets be honest...I can't replace century old oaks. Painful to see.
Where do you live?
chet98
AG
TikkaShooter said:

Yep, just lost another limb from a huge oak. Really sucks. Praying for no wind today or it may get much worse.
Gunny456
AG
I was working in Missouri and Arkansas in 2009 when they had the widespread devastating ice storm. 50 ft trees would crash down. People were without power for over 3 weeks.
This past week we were at our ranch in the Ozarks. We lost power last Tuesday and did not get it back till this past Sunday.
Thank God for Generac!
We are still here and have a wave coming again tonight.
Hope all you guys be safe and are ok.
Jackie Daytona
AG
as bad or worse than '21 in the Oaklands. Constant falling branches right now
DriftwoodAg
AG
I walked outside this morning and you could hear branches snapping all around us. I know of at least 5 on our property, but I won't be able to assess the damage until after work.
TikkaShooter
Hill country north of NB

Aka drought central but sure here's some water in the form of ice.

https://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/CurrentMap/StateDroughtMonitor.aspx?TX
tamc93
AG
I lost more the last storm, but also did a heavy pruning this past year.

Making deer jerky since the weather is "nice".
FJB, FPA, and FAZ
jagsdad
Lucky as sin so far up here in Gainesville. Little freezing drizzle early on with sleet after. Nothing last 2 days but cold-a** wind, but freezing rain up to half inch is supposed to start anytime. Would love to miss that too.
TikkaShooter
I'm not sure how to measure the ice, but that accumulation on tree limbs is > 1/2 inch. More coming down now. This is bad
BrazosDog02
AG
Just nasty cold rain and a little ice west of San Antonio. Had worse ice storms in Houston as a kid. Mostly just an inconvenient nasty mucky mess for the morning animal routine. Ready for the warmup any time butHappy to have the slow steady rain all night. Bluebonnets are going to be happy if it keeps up.
ReloadAg
AG
I think most of it I can cut up myself with a chain saw and haul off.

swampstander
AG
Northeast of Palestine. Roads seem fine but lots of ice in the trees. Power went off at about 5am. Just now got the energy to go drag out the gennie and start it up. Cooking venison chorizo, potatoes, egg$ on the Blackstone in a few.
Knucklesammich
Lots of limbs down around me here in Cedar Park. Nothing catastrophic to any single tree (yet) since most got a trim during and post Uri.

Do have one decent size branch in the bottom of the deep end of our pool that I'll have to fish out.
Stringfellow Hawke
AG
I just saw a social media post that said to use ladders and lumber to support limbs to prevent damage. Would that even work?

One would think that limbs on the largest trees would weigh too much…
jrrhouston98
AG
Talking with a friend in Round Rock and she's iced in and without power most of the night. She doesn't know about any damage yet.

Fingers crossed for all you guys that are going through it. Just hope it clears up quick. We had 3 days without power in 2021 and it was miserable. At least it's not that cold for this one.
DriftwoodAg
AG
It's eerie driving around. Very few cars, mostly just PEC trucks
schmellba99
AG
No ice this year down here....just misting rain that has the world feeling like a saturated sponge. I don't mind the cold, but would like to see the sun again one of these days.
ABATTBQ87
AG
TikkaShooter said:

Hill country north of NB

Aka drought central but sure here's some water in the form of ice.

https://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/CurrentMap/StateDroughtMonitor.aspx?TX
you live off of RR 12 west of San Marcos?
Howdy Dammit
AG
Lost a big cedar here in Lago Vista. That's the 8th tree I've lost in 2 years. And just paid 500 last week to have the cedar next to this one removed from previous storm damage. This ice is horrible.
giddings_ag_06
AG
DriftwoodAg said:

It's eerie driving around. Very few cars, mostly just PEC trucks

Yea, I'm getting called in to our Control Center tonight for extra help. Looks like our Manor area has had quite a few big outages overnight and to now. (I'm not PEC, but next door)
dr_boogs
AG
Would appreciate update on hwy roads between College Station Bastrop and Austin. Have to drive over tomorrow AM and be there by 8:30. That's a lot of driving in the dark on roads on which I have zero good intel.
giddings_ag_06
AG
If I remember tonight I'll post. I'm planning on leaving an extra 30 minutes early to go from Giddings to Bastrop.
daniel00
AG
https://drivetexas.org
schmellba99
AG
Howdy Dammit said:

Lost a big cedar here in Lago Vista. That's the 8th tree I've lost in 2 years. And just paid 500 last week to have the cedar next to this one removed from previous storm damage. This ice is horrible.
I fail to see how nature removing cedars from the hill country is a bad thing
country
AG
We were in the middle of the epicenter of the last storm and received 5-6" of ice several days before the rest of the state got anything. That was much worse than this storm. We have had ice but nothing like what we had last go around. Between Junction and Kerrville.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.