Outdoors
Sponsored by

CWD TEXAS MOVES UP TO 449 CASES, SEEING IS BELIEVING

10,550 Views | 76 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by philevans
96ags
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
txags92 said:

96ags said:

txags92 said:

96ags said:

schmellba99 said:

96ags said:

txags92 said:

fightingfarmer09 said:

txags92 said:

schmellba99 said:

fightingfarmer09 said:

I said this on a previous thread.

I think we should see changes to mimic other states.

In Tennessee for instance there is no baiting/feeding of any kind and if you are in a CWD zone you cannot transport an intact deer across the counties/zones. You have to debone in the field.

https://www.tn.gov/twra/hunting/cwd/regulations-and-hunting-with-cwd.html
F that nonsense - how about, and just bear with me here, the onus gets placed on the breeders that are doing 99% of the spread of the disease?

I'm not in a CWD zone, why should I have to be punished because of what somebody halfway across the state is doing?
Don't worry, TPWD is stilling letting breeders ship deer around the state like livestock using tests that have been proven to be insufficient to stop the spread of the disease. You will be in a CWD zone eventually. And TPWD will still keep letting the breeders ship deer after it happens.

That state also lets you feed them like livestock, so there is that too.

There is more energy and debate into these feed schedules than most of the large scale cattle/dairy operations I work with.
No link between feeding deer and the spread of CWD in Texas. The spread is all from the breeders right now. I get that you are against feeding, and I understand the argument, but it has no relationship with the movement of CWD in Texas right now.

"Scientists believe CWD proteins (prions) likely spread between animals through body fluids like feces, saliva, blood, or urine, either through direct contact or indirectly through environmental contamination of soil, food or water."

https://www.cdc.gov/prions/cwd/transmission.html

Bias cuts two ways.
As I type this, I look across the street in the pasture to see a herd of probably 30 deer. Thing about deer - they tend to hang out in herds whether there is supplemental feed through deer feeders or not. About the only time they don't is during rut when bucks single up to chase poon.

Could an argument be made that deer feeders increase potential spread? Sure, I'm sure that argument could be made. But to what degree, since deer naturally operate in herds as it is.
If you watch a little longer, I'm sure you will see those same deer eating browse. The unnatural part of the way we feed deer in Texas is that they eat off of the ground (often clay soil) and or troughs.

Look, I am not a fan of deer breeders. I don't really like what has happened to the hunting industry in Texas. I just can't stand the disingenuous nature in which the argument about CWD always lays out.

I am of the opinion that we don't know enough about it at the moment and I distrust govt agencies and deer breeders equally. But if someone is going to yell from the rooftop that CWD is catastrophic, they have to at least be honest about all possible spread points.
I totally agree that supplemental feeding on the ground can be a threat where there is CWD in a wild population. But that isn't what is causing the spread from county to county in Texas. Maybe the deer on the breeder sites are spreading it to each other on the ground at feeders. But the way CWD is reaching new places in Texas right now is in trailers coming from deer breeders and there is really no excuse for TPWD not to have stopped that by now. They are derelict in their duty to protect the native wildlife of Texas by continuing to allow deer to be put in trailers and shipped to new properties based on testing that has been proven over and over to be insufficient to detect the disease in infected animals before they are moved.
Just because it's the 1st time there has been a positive test doesn't mean it is new to the area. You are making a ton of assumptions just to reach the conclusion that you want. Fortunately for all of us, it is still a very, very small number of deer.
No assumptions necessary. Outside of the Trans Pecos and Western Panhandle areas, each time TPWD has announced a new surveillance zone due to positive test results in an area, it is because it has been detected in a deer at a breeder site or breeder release site. There is a very easy vector to see for that spread that is common to every case. Since they have started encouraging wider testing beyond the breeder/release sites, they have found a few positive deer in free range locations, and last I checked, all but one or two of those were adjacent to breeder sites. It isn't an assumption, it is a fact. The disease is spreading because of breeders carting deer around in trailers. That is not to say that it might now have eventually gotten there over a few decades of natural spread, but we have accelerated the spread dramatically by continuing to pretend that the existing live tests being used are accurate enough to stop infected deer from being moved. Spoiler alert: They aren't.
You can't just dismiss the data points that don't support your pre-determined result even though they are minimal (for that manner, CWD cases are minimal). Those facts are real, as is the fact that the testing percentages are not equal between breeder deer and wild deer which most certainly will skew the results.

As I said before, I share your distaste of treating whitetail deer as lifestock, but your oversimplification and biased ranting does not help the cause at all.

schmellba99
AG
96ags said:

schmellba99 said:

96ags said:

txags92 said:

fightingfarmer09 said:

txags92 said:

schmellba99 said:

fightingfarmer09 said:

In Tennessee for instance there is no baiting/feeding of any kind and if you are in a CWD zone you cannot transport an intact deer across the counties/zones. You have to debone in the field.

F that nonsense - how about, and just bear with me here, the onus gets placed on the breeders that are doing 99% of the spread of the disease?

I'm not in a CWD zone, why should I have to be punished because of what somebody halfway across the state is doing?
Don't worry, TPWD is stilling letting breeders ship deer around the state like livestock using tests that have been proven to be insufficient to stop the spread of the disease. You will be in a CWD zone eventually. And TPWD will still keep letting the breeders ship deer after it happens.

There is more energy and debate into these feed schedules than most of the large scale cattle/dairy operations I work with.
No link between feeding deer and the spread of CWD in Texas. The spread is all from the breeders right now. I get that you are against feeding, and I understand the argument, but it has no relationship with the movement of CWD in Texas right now.

"Scientists believe CWD proteins (prions) likely spread between animals through body fluids like feces, saliva, blood, or urine, either through direct contact or indirectly through environmental contamination of soil, food or water."

Bias cuts two ways.
As I type this, I look across the street in the pasture to see a herd of probably 30 deer. Thing about deer - they tend to hang out in herds whether there is supplemental feed through deer feeders or not. About the only time they don't is during rut when bucks single up to chase poon.

Could an argument be made that deer feeders increase potential spread? Sure, I'm sure that argument could be made. But to what degree, since deer naturally operate in herds as it is.
If you watch a little longer, I'm sure you will see those same deer eating browse. The unnatural part of the way we feed deer in Texas is that they eat off of the ground (often clay soil) and or troughs.

Look, I am not a fan of deer breeders. I don't really like what has happened to the hunting industry in Texas. I just can't stand the disingenuous nature in which the argument about CWD always lays out.

I am of the opinion that we don't know enough about it at the moment and I distrust govt agencies and deer breeders equally. But if someone is going to yell from the rooftop that CWD is catastrophic, they have to at least be honest about all possible spread points.
They were grazing in the pasture eating grass/forbes as they moseyed along, no browse for them to eat in the middle of a field. I'll also tell you that different areas have significantly different results with feeders and how deer react to them. In my part of the state, feeders aren't the buffet that they are in the hill country or south Texas - deer don't congregate at them to nearly the degree because they don't have to. Yet the CWD closest to me in Matagorda county....you guessed it, at a breeding facility. No other record of it being present outside of that facility for multiple counties surrounding us.

I get you think that supplemental feeding is evil and should be outlawed, but you have yet to provide any proof or even rational evidence that it has a measurable deleterious effect.

Meanwhile...breeding stations and release sites seem to be where this craptastic disease is continually detected.

You love to point out to everybody else how our bias is making us see what we want to see....I suppose one could say to look in a mirror, because you are doing exactly what you are accusing everybody else of.
96ags
AG
schmellba99 said:

96ags said:

schmellba99 said:

96ags said:

txags92 said:

fightingfarmer09 said:

txags92 said:

schmellba99 said:

fightingfarmer09 said:

Bias cuts two ways.

They were grazing in the pasture eating grass/forbes as they moseyed along, no browse for them to eat in the middle of a field. I'll also tell you that different areas have significantly different results with feeders and how deer react to them. In my part of the state, feeders aren't the buffet that they are in the hill country or south Texas - deer don't congregate at them to nearly the degree because they don't have to. Yet the CWD closest to me in Matagorda county....you guessed it, at a breeding facility. No other record of it being present outside of that facility for multiple counties surrounding us.

I get you think that supplemental feeding is evil and should be outlawed, but you have yet to provide any proof or even rational evidence that it has a measurable deleterious effect.

Meanwhile...breeding stations and release sites seem to be where this craptastic disease is continually detected.

You love to point out to everybody else how our bias is making us see what we want to see....I suppose one could say to look in a mirror, because you are doing exactly what you are accusing everybody else of.
Why do you feel the need to lie and make things up? No where have I said anything close to this.

It really makes it difficult to have an honest discussion. I'm not sure you actually even read the whole post you responded to either.
country
AG
My biggest issue with CWD and the response to it is that there are zero guidelines laid out in TPWD about what thresholds exist in which a surveillance zone may be closed, i.e. a conclusion can be reached that the positive test(s) within a breeding facility are contained within that facility and everyone else within a 100+ square mile radius can be released from the onerous requirements regarding testing and transportation in and out of the zone. I'm not against making sure something is contained. I am against an unapproachable bureaucracy placing unnecessary burdens upon people who have never been associated with following practices that introduce CWD nor are the animals in which they hunt and transport identified as carrying the disease.

I believe since 2015 TPWD says they have tested in excess of 15,000 deer annually from cooperative hunters. All of those tests have come back as not positive. We can't say they came back negative because there is a 0.001% chance that the test could have been bad. So we say not positive. There are seemingly no amount of deer that can be tested from the wild population, nor any amount of calendar days or years that can pass since the last positive test that triggers a closure of a surveillance zone. All of those hunters have cooperated, TPWD has had their opportunity to collect thousands of samples, yet we need just a few more and we need just one more year. It is a never ending cycle. That is not an acceptable burden when on the other end of the spectrum there are seemingly no tighter regulations on the deer breeding industry.
duddleysdraw88
AG
I am going to go out on a limb here, but I bet you that not all of the hunters in the containment zones take their deer to get tested. Will this lead to more spreading? Not likely, but I guess you could have some miniscule percentage of a chance.

What does that really mean? Nothing........ because 99.99999999999999999999% percent of the time it is because of the breeders moving "their" deer into and around breeding facilities.

tpwd 100% KNOWS the areas that need to be nuked and they REFUSE because of the breeders good ole boy network and $$$

Feeding deer from a barrel with a timer on it may cause a miniscule elevation in spreading cwd but the breeders (and tpwd) allowing these deer to be moved around are the culprit. Not saying natural spread doesn't occur, but the dirtbags have sped up the timeline by decades and perhaps tens of decades.

f breeders
f tpwd

It's past time to go nuclear!
schmellba99
AG
96ags said:

schmellba99 said:

96ags said:

schmellba99 said:

96ags said:

txags92 said:

fightingfarmer09 said:

txags92 said:

schmellba99 said:

fightingfarmer09 said:

Bias cuts two ways.

Why do you feel the need to lie and make things up? No where have I said anything close to this.

It really makes it difficult to have an honest discussion. I'm not sure you actually even read the whole post you responded to either.
Sorry, I had you confused with another poster on the feeding.

And since you brought it up, good job on being condescending on making things up, then turning around and doing the same thing via your thoughts on whether i read your comment or not.

Bottom line is that you have consistently argued on this thread that you think CWD isn't a deer breeder issue, even though 100% of the available data tells us all it is. You have told every one of us that our confirmation bias makes us wrong, yet you don't recognize that you are doing the exact same thing in your attempt to tell us that the data is somehow not 100% correct because of XYZ reasons. You don't like what hunting in Texas has become (your words), I can assume you don't like the feeding aspect, monetized aspect, breeding aspect or a host of other things that are pretty specific to how most of Texas operates with regards to hunting.

Let me ask you this - at what point do you feel we will have enough data to prove that the current data is accurate? When the entire state is under restricted zones? When you finally get that one data point that confirms your bias?
96ags
AG
Bottom line is that you have consistently argued on this thread that you think CWD isn't a deer breeder issue, even though 100% of the available data tells us all it is.

I absolutely have NOT argued that. I have, however, argued that IF you think CWD is a big deal that requires aggressive intervention, it is logical to look at feeding as a point of transmission in ADDITION to deer breeders. It is hypocritical to point the finger exclusively in one direction.

You have told every one of us that our confirmation bias makes us wrong, yet you don't recognize that you are doing the exact same thing in your attempt to tell us that the data is somehow not 100% correct because of XYZ reasons

The data says pretty clearly that concentrated feeding areas like corn and protein feed pens can absolutely be a potential transmission area. I'm seeing both sides, so I don't think I do have a bias. I don't like the deer breeding world on personal level, but my opinion doesn't change the facts.

You don't like what hunting in Texas has become (your words), I can assume you don't like the feeding aspect, monetized aspect, breeding aspect or a host of other things that are pretty specific to how most of Texas operates with regards to hunting.

You are correct I don't like "what hunting has become". I don't like that is cost prohibitive for most people to take a kid hunting. I don't like that deer hunting is often times like picking from a restaurant menu. I don't like that people like Brad and Mitch or whatever their names were exist to tell people what they can and can't shoot. I particularly don't like that the state puts limits on little kids on what bucks they can shoot.

All that being said, I just walked in the house from filling up a feeder. I also benefit monetarily from leasing out land for folks to hunt on. Just because I may not like it, doesn't mean that I get to be king, make the rules and shut everybody else's way down. And that's a good thing for all of us!

Let me ask you this - at what point do you feel we will have enough data to prove that the current data is accurate? When the entire state is under restricted zones? When you finally get that one data point that confirms your bias?

I don't think we have near enough quality data on any of it to allow governmental action of any kind yet. The data from the deer breeders is slanted their way for money purposes and the data from the govt agencies is slanted the opposite direction for the exact same reason.

I absolutely think deer breeders transporting deer contribute to the spread of diseases that impact deer, including CWD. I think all of us feeding deer in concentrated areas are potentially doing the exact same thing. I don't, however, believe that there is enough unbiased, confirmed data to allow govt agencies forcing either one to stop.
flounder9
re-feeding, but what about the elephant in the room everyone insists on ignoring i.e. deer feed itself and the tse prion.

please remember, the UK mad cow i.e. typical c-type BSE crisis, and what stopped about 98% of it, where when the mad cow outbreak peak count was 300,000 mad cows, the mad cow feed ban was put in place i.e. BAB or BARB, OFFAL BAN or the SBO SPECIFIED BOVINE OFFAL, and cattle feed, they stopped feeding cows mad cow feed, that 300K number went down to just about nothing, you still have the BAB and BARB i.e. born after bans, and born after ruminant ban, and the atypicals, but my question, and you all should be asking this question, why has there not been a ban like that here in the USA? CWD transmits to cervid by oral routes, very easily, and very low amounts of cwd infectious materials. The FDA PART 589 TSE PRION FEED BAN does not include cervid, the same way bovines are included. i believe that some of this feed is getting to cervid. let's review this, i think some of you folks might be interested, or should be, imo. let's first see what DEFRA previously MAFF says about just this risk factor for cwd; please remember when the failed August 1997 FDA PART 589 TSE PRION FEED BAN was put into place, since then as late as 2007, when i stopped tracking and requesting FOIA request, literally 1000s of TONs of banned suspect mad cow feed was still being fed out into commerce, and for cervid, this is still legal, let that sink in real good...

DEFRA

Friday, December 14, 2012

DEFRA U.K. What is the risk of Chronic Wasting Disease CWD being introduced into Great Britain? A Qualitative Risk Assessment October 2012

snip.....

In the USA, under the Food and Drug Administration's BSE Feed Regulation (21 CFR 589.2000) most material (exceptions include milk, tallow, and gelatin) from deer and elk is prohibited for use in feed for ruminant animals. With regards to feed for non-ruminant animals, under FDA law, CWD positive deer may not be used for any animal feed or feed ingredients. For elk and deer considered at high risk for CWD, the FDA recommends that these animals do not enter the animal feed system. However, this recommendation is guidance and not a requirement by law. Animals considered at high risk for CWD include:

1) animals from areas declared to be endemic for CWD and/or to be CWD eradication zones and

2) deer and elk that at some time during the 60-month period prior to slaughter were in a captive herd that contained a CWD-positive animal.

Therefore, in the USA, materials from cervids other than CWD positive animals may be used in animal feed and feed ingredients for non-ruminants.

The amount of animal PAP that is of deer and/or elk origin imported from the USA to GB can not be determined, however, as it is not specified in TRACES.

It may constitute a small percentage of the 8412 kilos of non-fish origin processed animal proteins that were imported from US into GB in 2011.

Overall, therefore, it is considered there is a __greater than negligible risk___ that (nonruminant) animal feed and pet food containing deer and/or elk protein is imported into GB.

There is uncertainty associated with this estimate given the lack of data on the amount of deer and/or elk protein possibly being imported in these products.

snip.....

https://web.archive.org/web/20170404125557/http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20130822084033/http://www.defra.gov.uk/animal-diseases/files/qra_chronic-wasting-disease-121029.pdf
http://chronic-wasting-disease.blogspot.com/2021/03/

a review of a few banned mad cow feed in the USA, too many to list all of them;

BANNED MAD COW FEED IN COMMERCE IN ALABAMA

Date: September 6, 2006 at 7:58 am PST PRODUCT

a) EVSRC Custom dairy feed, Recall # V-130-6;

b) Performance Chick Starter, Recall # V-131-6;

c) Performance Quail Grower, Recall # V-132-6;

d) Performance Pheasant Finisher, Recall # V-133-6.

CODE None RECALLING FIRM/MANUFACTURER Donaldson & Hasenbein/dba J&R Feed Service, Inc., Cullman, AL, by telephone on June 23, 2006 and by letter dated July 19, 2006. Firm initiated recall is complete.

REASON

Dairy and poultry feeds were possibly contaminated with ruminant based protein.

VOLUME OF PRODUCT IN COMMERCE 477.72 tons

DISTRIBUTION AL

http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/enforce/2006/ENF00968.html

http://web.archive.org/web/20080229052729/http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/enforce/2006/ENF00968.html

PRODUCT Bulk custom dairy pre-mixes,

Recall # V-120-6 CODE None RECALLING FIRM/MANUFACTURER Ware Milling Inc., Houston, MS, by telephone on June 23, 2006. Firm initiated recall is complete. REASON Possible contamination of dairy animal feeds with ruminant derived meat and bone meal.

VOLUME OF PRODUCT IN COMMERCE 350 tons

DISTRIBUTION AL and MS

PRODUCT

a) Tucker Milling, LLC Tm 32% Sinking Fish Grower, #2680-Pellet, 50 lb. bags, Recall # V-121-6;

b) Tucker Milling, LLC #31120, Game Bird Breeder Pellet, 50 lb. bags, Recall # V-122-6;

c) Tucker Milling, LLC #31232 Game Bird Grower, 50 lb. bags, Recall # V-123-6;

d) Tucker Milling, LLC 31227-Crumble, Game Bird Starter, BMD Medicated, 50 lb bags, Recall # V-124-6;

e) Tucker Milling, LLC #31120, Game Bird Breeder, 50 lb bags, Recall # V-125-6;

f) Tucker Milling, LLC #30230, 30 % Turkey Starter, 50 lb bags, Recall # V-126-6;

g) Tucker Milling, LLC #30116, TM Broiler Finisher, 50 lb bags, Recall # V-127-6

CODE All products manufactured from 02/01/2005 until 06/20/2006 RECALLING FIRM/MANUFACTURER Recalling Firm: Tucker Milling LLC, Guntersville, AL, by telephone and visit on June 20, 2006, and by letter on June 23, 2006. Manufacturer: H. J. Baker and Brothers Inc., Stamford, CT. Firm initiated recall is ongoing.

REASON Poultry and fish feeds which were possibly contaminated with ruminant based protein were not labeled as "Do not feed to ruminants".

VOLUME OF PRODUCT IN COMMERCE 7,541-50 lb bags

DISTRIBUTION AL, GA, MS, and TN

END OF ENFORCEMENT REPORT FOR AUGUST 9, 2006

###

http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/ENFORCE/2006/ENF00964.html

http://web.archive.org/web/20070223174152/http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/ENFORCE/2006/ENF00964.html

see below; e) "Big Jim's" BBB Deer Ration, Big Buck Blend, Recall # V-104-6;

Subject: MAD COW FEED RECALL AL AND FL VOLUME OF PRODUCT IN COMMERCE 125 TONS Products manufactured from 02/01/2005 until 06/06/2006

Date: August 6, 2006 at 6:16 pm PST PRODUCT

a) CO-OP 32% Sinking Catfish, Recall # V-100-6;

b) Performance Sheep Pell W/Decox/A/N, medicated, net wt. 50 lbs, Recall # V-101-6;

c) Pro 40% Swine Conc Meal -- 50 lb, Recall # V-102-6;

d) CO-OP 32% Sinking Catfish Food Medicated, Recall # V-103-6;

e) "Big Jim's" BBB Deer Ration, Big Buck Blend, Recall # V-104-6;

f) CO-OP 40% Hog Supplement Medicated Pelleted, Tylosin 100 grams/ton, 50 lb. bag, Recall # V-105-6;

g) Pig Starter Pell II, 18% W/MCDX Medicated 282020, Carbadox -- 0.0055%, Recall # V-106-6;

h) CO-OP STARTER-GROWER CRUMBLES, Complete Feed for Chickens from Hatch to 20 Weeks, Medicated, Bacitracin Methylene Disalicylate, 25 and 50 Lbs, Recall # V-107-6;

i) CO-OP LAYING PELLETS, Complete Feed for Laying Chickens, Recall # 108-6;

j) CO-OP LAYING CRUMBLES, Recall # V-109-6;

k) CO-OP QUAIL FLIGHT CONDITIONER MEDICATED, net wt 50 Lbs, Recall # V-110-6;

l) CO-OP QUAIL STARTER MEDICATED, Net Wt. 50 Lbs, Recall # V-111-6;

m) CO-OP QUAIL GROWER MEDICATED, 50 Lbs, Recall # V-112-6 CODE

Product manufactured from 02/01/2005 until 06/06/2006

RECALLING FIRM/MANUFACTURER Alabama Farmers Cooperative, Inc., Decatur, AL, by telephone, fax, email and visit on June 9, 2006. FDA initiated recall is complete.

REASON Animal and fish feeds which were possibly contaminated with ruminant based protein not labeled as "Do not feed to ruminants".

VOLUME OF PRODUCT IN COMMERCE 125 tons

DISTRIBUTION AL and FL

END OF ENFORCEMENT REPORT FOR AUGUST 2, 2006

###

http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/enforce/2006/ENF00963.html

http://web.archive.org/web/20060821195949/http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/enforce/2006/ENF00963.html

MAD COW FEED RECALL USA EQUALS 10,878.06 TONS NATIONWIDE Sun Jul 16, 2006 09:22 71.248.128.67

RECALLS AND FIELD CORRECTIONS: VETERINARY MEDICINE -- CLASS II

PRODUCT

a) PRO-LAK, bulk weight, Protein Concentrate for Lactating Dairy Animals, Recall # V-079-6;

b) ProAmino II, FOR PREFRESH AND LACTATING COWS, net weight 50lb (22.6 kg), Recall # V-080-6;

c) PRO-PAK, MARINE & ANIMAL PROTEIN CONCENTRATE FOR USE IN ANIMAL FEED, Recall # V-081-6;

d) Feather Meal, Recall # V-082-6 CODE

a) Bulk

b) None

c) Bulk

d) Bulk

RECALLING FIRM/MANUFACTURER H. J. Baker & Bro., Inc., Albertville, AL, by telephone on June 15, 2006 and by press release on June 16, 2006. Firm initiated recall is ongoing.

REASON

Possible contamination of animal feeds with ruminent derived meat and bone meal.

VOLUME OF PRODUCT IN COMMERCE 10,878.06 tons

DISTRIBUTION Nationwide

END OF ENFORCEMENT REPORT FOR July 12, 2006

###

http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/enforce/2006/ENF00960.html

http://web.archive.org/web/20070223180551/http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/enforce/2006/ENF00960.html

10,000,000+ LBS. of PROHIBITED BANNED MAD COW FEED I.E. BLOOD LACED MBM IN COMMERCE USA 2007

Date: March 21, 2007 at 2:27 pm PST

RECALLS AND FIELD CORRECTIONS: VETERINARY MEDICINES -- CLASS II

PRODUCT

Bulk cattle feed made with recalled Darling's 85% Blood Meal, Flash Dried, Recall # V-024-2007

CODE

Cattle feed delivered between 01/12/2007 and 01/26/2007

RECALLING FIRM/MANUFACTURER

Pfeiffer, Arno, Inc, Greenbush, WI. by conversation on February 5, 2007.

Firm initiated recall is ongoing.

REASON

Blood meal used to make cattle feed was recalled because it was cross- contaminated with prohibited bovine meat and bone meal that had been manufactured on common equipment and labeling did not bear cautionary BSE statement.

VOLUME OF PRODUCT IN COMMERCE

42,090 lbs.

DISTRIBUTION

WI

PRODUCT

Custom dairy premix products: MNM ALL PURPOSE Pellet, HILLSIDE/CDL Prot- Buffer Meal, LEE, M.-CLOSE UP PX Pellet, HIGH DESERT/ GHC LACT Meal, TATARKA, M CUST PROT Meal, SUNRIDGE/CDL PROTEIN Blend, LOURENZO, K PVM DAIRY Meal, DOUBLE B DAIRY/GHC LAC Mineral, WEST PIONT/GHC CLOSEUP Mineral, WEST POINT/GHC LACT Meal, JENKS, J/COMPASS PROTEIN Meal, COPPINI - 8# SPECIAL DAIRY Mix, GULICK, L-LACT Meal (Bulk), TRIPLE J - PROTEIN/LACTATION, ROCK CREEK/GHC MILK Mineral, BETTENCOURT/GHC S.SIDE MK-MN, BETTENCOURT #1/GHC MILK MINR, V&C DAIRY/GHC LACT Meal, VEENSTRA, F/GHC LACT Meal, SMUTNY, A- BYPASS ML W/SMARTA, Recall # V-025-2007

CODE

The firm does not utilize a code - only shipping documentation with commodity and weights identified.

RECALLING FIRM/MANUFACTURER

Rangen, Inc, Buhl, ID, by letters on February 13 and 14, 2007. Firm initiated recall is complete.

REASON

Products manufactured from bulk feed containing blood meal that was cross contaminated with prohibited meat and bone meal and the labeling did not bear cautionary BSE statement.

VOLUME OF PRODUCT IN COMMERCE

9,997,976 lbs.

DISTRIBUTION

ID and NV

END OF ENFORCEMENT REPORT FOR MARCH 21, 2007

http://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/EnforcementReports/2007/ucm120446.htm

http://web.archive.org/web/20091104111717/http://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/EnforcementReports/2007/ucm120446.htm

MONDAY, OCTOBER 10, 2022

Docket No: 2002N-0273 (formerly Docket No. 02N-0273) Substances Prohibited From Use in Animal Food and Feed Scientists Comments December 20, 2005

https://bovineprp.blogspot.com/2022/10/docket-no-2002n-0273-formerly-docket-no.html

Very low oral exposure to prions of brain or saliva origin can transmit chronic wasting disease

Nathaniel D. Denkers ,Clare E. Hoover ,Kristen A. Davenport,Davin M. Henderson,Erin E. McNulty,Amy V. Nalls,Candace K. Mathiason,Edward A. Hoover

Published: August 20, 2020

https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0237410

We report that oral exposure to as little as 300 nanograms (ng) of CWD-positive brain or to saliva containing seeding activity equivalent to 300 ng of CWD-positive brain, were sufficient to transmit CWD disease. This was true whether the inoculum was administered as a single bolus or divided as three weekly 100 ng exposures. However, when the 300 ng total dose was apportioned as 10, 30 ng doses delivered over 12 weeks, no infection occurred. While low-dose exposures to prions of brain or saliva origin prolonged the time from inoculation to first detection of infection, once infection was established, we observed no differences in disease pathogenesis. These studies suggest that the CWD minimum infectious dose approximates 100 to 300 ng CWD-positive brain (or saliva equivalent), and that CWD infection appears to conform more with a threshold than a cumulative dose dynamic.

https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0237410

look at the table and you'll see that as little as 1 mg (or 0.001 gm) caused 7% (1 of 14) of the cows to come down with BSE;

Risk of oral infection with bovine spongiform encephalopathy agent in primates

Corinne Ida Lasmzas, Emmanuel Comoy, Stephen Hawkins, Christian Herzog, Franck Mouthon, Timm Konold, Frdric Auvr, Evelyne Correia, Nathalie Lescoutra-Etchegaray, Nicole Sals, Gerald Wells, Paul Brown, Jean-Philippe Deslys Summary The uncertain extent of human exposure to bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE)--which can lead to variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (vCJD)--is compounded by incomplete knowledge about the efficiency of oral infection and the magnitude of any bovine-to-human biological barrier to transmission. We therefore investigated oral transmission of BSE to non-human primates. We gave two macaques a 5 g oral dose of brain homogenate from a BSE-infected cow. One macaque developed vCJD-like neurological disease 60 months after exposure, whereas the other remained free of disease at 76 months. On the basis of these findings and data from other studies, we made a preliminary estimate of the food exposure risk for man, which provides additional assurance that existing public health measures can prevent transmission of BSE to man.

snip...

BSE bovine brain inoculum

100 g 10 g 5 g 1 g 100 mg 10 mg 1 mg 01 mg 001 mg

Primate (oral route)* 1/2 (50%)

Cattle (oral route)* 10/10 (100%) 7/9 (78%) 7/10 (70%) 3/15 (20%) 1/15 (7%) 1/15 (7%)

RIII mice (ic ip route)* 17/18 (94%) 15/17 (88%) 1/14 (7%)

PrPres biochemical detection

The comparison is made on the basis of calibration of the bovine inoculum used in our study with primates against a bovine brain inoculum with a similar PrPres concentration that was

inoculated into mice and cattle.8 *Data are number of animals positive/number of animals surviving at the time of clinical onset of disease in the first positive animal (%). The accuracy of

bioassays is generally judged to be about plus or minus 1 log. ic ip=intracerebral and int****ritoneal.

Table 1: Comparison of transmission rates in primates and cattle infected orally with similar BSE brain inocula

Published online January 27, 2005

http://www.thelancet.com/journal/journal.isa

It is clear that the designing scientists must

also have shared Mr Bradley's surprise at the results because all the dose

levels right down to 1 gram triggered infection.

http://web.archive.org/web/20090506002904/http://www.bseinquiry.gov.uk/files/ws/s145d.pdf

6. It also appears to me that Mr Bradley's answer (that it would take less than say 100 grams) was probably given with the benefit of hindsight; particularly if one considers that later in the same answer Mr Bradley expresses his surprise that it could take as little of 1 gram of brain to cause BSE by the oral route within the same species. This information did not become available until the "attack rate" experiment had been completed in 1995/96. This was a titration experiment designed to ascertain the infective dose. A range of dosages was used to ensure that the actual result was within both a lower and an upper limit within the study and the designing scientists would not have expected all the dose levels to trigger infection. The dose ranges chosen by the most informed scientists at that time ranged from 1 gram to three times one hundred grams. It is clear that the designing scientists must have also shared Mr Bradley's surprise at the results because all the dose levels right down to 1 gram triggered infection.

http://web.archive.org/web/20090506004507/http://www.bseinquiry.gov.uk/files/ws/s147f.pdf

***> cattle, pigs, sheep, cwd, tse, prion, oh my!

***> In contrast, cattle are highly susceptible to white-tailed deer CWD and mule deer CWD in experimental conditions but no natural CWD infections in cattle have been reported (Sigurdson, 2008; Hamir et al., 2006).

Sheep and cattle may be exposed to CWD via common grazing areas with affected deer but so far, appear to be poorly susceptible to mule deer CWD (Sigurdson, 2008). In contrast, cattle are highly susceptible to white-tailed deer CWD and mule deer CWD in experimental conditions but no natural CWD infections in cattle have been reported (Sigurdson, 2008; Hamir et al., 2006). It is not known how susceptible humans are to CWD but given that the prion can be present in muscle, it is likely that humans have been exposed to the agent via consumption of venison (Sigurdson, 2008). Initial experimental research suggests that human susceptibility to CWD is low and there may be a robust species barrier for CWD transmission to humans (Sigurdson, 2008), however the risk appetite for a public health threat may still find this level unacceptable.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/733407/DEFRA_QRA_TSE_in_cervids_June2018_v1.pdf

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/16423572/

http://chronic-wasting-disease.blogspot.com/2012/08/susceptibility-of-cattle-to-agent-of.html

i believe it is paramount that the FDA PART 589 TSE PRION FEED BAN should be reassessed immediately to include all cervid species imo...

kind regards, terry

agneck
I see those CWD checkpoints on Hwy 90. How many hunters really take the time to check in?
YellowPot_97
AG
agneck said:

I see those CWD checkpoints on Hwy 90. How many hunters really take the time to check in?

Considering it's mandatory in those testing zones, they should all be. I'm just outside of a zone but have to drive past a checkpoint. I stop in and let them sample my deer. More data is always good and it takes less than 5 minutes. Besides, I'd rather be safe and not eat one that was positive.
fightingfarmer09
I think whitetail breeding is bad for CWD transmission.
I think baiting is bad for CWD transmission.

Both need to be fixed.

I don't know why y'all need to fight to the death when both arguments are likely correct.
country
AG
Show me any data whatsoever that shows that deer feeders in a native area where deer can freely come and go has caused or has even had CWD and I'll listen.
Aggie1205
AG
YellowPot_97 said:

agneck said:

Considering it's mandatory in those testing zones, they should all be. I'm just outside of a zone but have to drive past a checkpoint. I stop in and let them sample my deer. More data is always good and it takes less than 5 minutes. Besides, I'd rather be safe and not eat one that was positive.

What is the testing process like?
duddleysdraw88
AG

Do you knuckle heads want to fathom a guess of how many barrel feeders and protein feeders there are throughout the state?

Could they elevate the risk of CWD spread? Perhaps a very, very low chance, but maybe not zero. But where did those infected deer come from?

If deer/protein feeders were an issue, EVERY STINKIN" COUNTY that has a deer feeder would have a CWD problem.

Look at the containment zones AND other hotspots with CWD....... what do they all have in common? breeders and importers.

The soft and spineless tpwd would easily outlaw deer corn and protein feeders rather than hurt their dear friends (the breeders) IF they even thought that feeders were the real problem. Breeders and importers add millions of dollars into the tpwd "system" and they will never cut off their gravy train until FORCED to do so.

If you eliminate the infected deer at the breeder facilities and outlaw breeding and importation (with SEVERE penalties) you will ELIMINATE the un-natural source of CWD influx from other areas. Will you eliminate CWD? No, but it would slow the spread by multiples.

It's not that hard to see whats going on! Eliminate breeders and importation or watch cwd spread at an un-natural rate across the state.

You hurt a small percentage of people (yes, it will decimate them financially) OR forever change hunting in this state and hurt the future of millions of hunters for generations.

f breeders (and those that support them)
f tpwd

** also, if this was a "deer feed" problem, again, every stinkin' county in the state would have problems.

Gunny456
AG
Well said.
GigemKW
duddleysdraw88 said:

I am going to go out on a limb here, but I bet you that not all of the hunters in the containment zones take their deer to get tested. Will this lead to more spreading? Not likely, but I guess you could have some miniscule percentage of a chance.

What does that really mean? Nothing........ because 99.99999999999999999999% percent of the time it is because of the breeders moving "their" deer into and around breeding facilities.

tpwd 100% KNOWS the areas that need to be nuked and they REFUSE because of the breeders good ole boy network and $$$

Feeding deer from a barrel with a timer on it may cause a miniscule elevation in spreading cwd but the breeders (and tpwd) allowing these deer to be moved around are the culprit. Not saying natural spread doesn't occur, but the dirtbags have sped up the timeline by decades and perhaps tens of decades.

f breeders
f tpwd

Angry emoji,exclamations, and a perceived threat to someones business/life show you are emotional and your opinion disregarded. Cooler heads should prevail.

If you think breeders like TPWD and are in cahoots then I don't know what to tell you. The smaller breeders hate TPWD for ruining their business. The big breeders love it and will thrive as the smaller guys go away.

Remember covid and the Mom and Pop stores going away to be replaced by amazon and big business? Same thing.

Remember covid where the govt scared everyone into giving up their business, church, and lives? Settle down and consider all options and leave the emotion out of it.

Could it be a few breeders are getting hit with positives because it is the breeders who are testing everything?

Let me ask you? If you have a sick deer on your family land….are you gonna take it in for testing? Or are you gonna kill it, possibly bury or burn it, likely tell nobody and pray nothing comes of it?

LukeDuke
AG
flounder9 said:

https://vimeo.com/784596816

CWD TEXAS 449 CASES

https://tpwd.texas.gov/huntwild/wild/diseases/cwd/tracking/#texasCWD

kind regards, terry
Some context would be helpful...

What was the number a year ago?
txags92
AG
LukeDuke said:

flounder9 said:

CWD TEXAS 449 CASES

kind regards, terry

359 as of 1/25/2022.

ETA: That includes mule deer and elk as well. The vast majority of the increase over the last year has been positives from testing at the Hunt county breeder facility. Last I heard, TPWD was ready to go in and depopulate that facility because the landowner was refusing any of the other options they made available to him, and the depopulation effort has been tied up in court for the last 6-9 months.
schmellba99
AG
fightingfarmer09 said:

I think whitetail breeding is bad for CWD transmission.
I think baiting is bad for CWD transmission.

Both need to be fixed.

I don't know why y'all need to fight to the death when both arguments are likely correct.

We know that deer breeding is a source for the transmission of the disease. That is an undisputable fact based on actual data.

Your assumption that feeders do the same thing is pure supposition and not based on any data. If that were the case, CWD would be significantly more widespread and we would be seeing issues across the board with the overall deer herd - especially in areas like the hill country where the number of deer per acre is higher than it would be ordinarily because of supplemental feeding being so widespread. The fact of the matter is that we are not and the CWD issues are still concentrated in and around breeding facilities where deer are kept in highly unnatural conditions and in release zones from those facilities.

If you have actual factual data on run of the mill feeders being a significant, or even really a marginal, contributor to the problem, guarantee you that every one of us here is all ears.

Also - calling it "baiting" in an attempt to denigrate it as something bad...you should quit doing that because it's dumb. Those are exactly that - thoughts. Because exactly 0.0% of the data backs up your thoughts.
Gunny456
AG
This.
We have been staying informed with some CWD actions in Missouri and Arkansas as we own a ranch that is in both states.
I have attended some public meetings and seminars up there with both of the Conservation departments and have become very good friends with many each state's biologist.
Arkansas allows supplemental feeding. The counties all the way across Missouri that border Arkansas were closed about 5 years ago or so I think to feeding to stop CWD spread. There has been no difference in instances of CWD between the Arkansas counties and the Missouri counties...pretty much proving, imho, that is not the issue.
The CWD positives have all been breeders and places they have sold deer to.
Gunny456
AG
I will add to my above reply to Schmellba of what Missouri is doing to curtail CWD:
1.) Changed their bag limits to target young bucks and allow more harvesting of young bucks. Their reason is that they feel young bucks travel more than mature bucks and therefore spread CWD more.
2.) Changing overall bag limits to drastically bring down the deer populations of Missouri so less chance of CWD spread.

ETA: MCD ( Like our TPWD) tried to pass some very stringent new laws in regards to deer breeding/farming and the importation and transporting and selling of deer in the state.
They were met with intense lobbying of deer breeder associations and deer farming alliances and the new laws did not make through their state legislature.
Interestingly most of these associations and alliances were Texas based organizations.
duddleysdraw88
AG
GigemKW said:

duddleysdraw88 said:

f breeders
f tpwd

Angry emoji,exclamations, and a perceived threat to someones business/life show you are emotional and your opinion disregarded. Cooler heads should prevail.

If you think breeders like TPWD and are in cahoots then I don't know what to tell you. The smaller breeders hate TPWD for ruining their business. The big breeders love it and will thrive as the smaller guys go away.

Remember covid and the Mom and Pop stores going away to be replaced by amazon and big business? Same thing.

Remember covid where the govt scared everyone into giving up their business, church, and lives? Settle down and consider all options and leave the emotion out of it.

Could it be a few breeders are getting hit with positives because it is the breeders who are testing everything?

Let me ask you? If you have a sick deer on your family land….are you gonna take it in for testing? Or are you gonna kill it, possibly bury or burn it, likely tell nobody and pray nothing comes of it?

So nice of you to asssume that I am, in your words, "emotional" because of an emoji. Yes, i absolutley HATE what is going on with tpwd swallowing whatever the breeders and their consortiums whip out. I am not emotional about it. If you don't think they are in bed together, perhaps you are part of the problem too.

Cooler heads? Jeez, you must be a hoot to hang out with. With cwd literally skyrocketing in my areas, I have chosen not to shoot deer here. Does that upset me? Not that much because I replaced Texas whitetail hunting with Oklahoma and Nebraska. I also hunt mule deer and elk out west.

I still put in food plots and run feeders. I just don't shoot the deer here. I used to worry about the cwd out west, but now it is so much of a safer bet with the deer and elk up there than it is down here.

Yes, mom and pop breeders would get hurt in all of this along with "big business" breeders. Sacrificing such a small % of state's business population to preserve (or at least slow down) the cwd spread for the future of Texas hunting is a fair trade.

The hunting economy is multiples times larger than the breeders economy. Allowing breeders to run as they wish for the all mighty dollar and put the future of deer hunting in the state is assinine.

Settle down? (How big a boy are you?) Again, there is no elevated emotion with this, but it sounds more like you are the emotional one in all of this. Breeders are a major source of spread and that is a FACT. So do you want to let them continue to run rough shod?

In reply to your last jab...... I have not seen a sick deer on either of my ranches dating back to 1999. Also never saw a sick deer in my early days of hunting out in Tom Greene county.....AND THAT IS THE WHOLE POINT in all of this! We ought to do everything possible to keep it that way!!! Again, I think you are trying to be a comedian, but just in case you are only a keyboard warrior, burying and/or burning does not eradicate cwd.

The majority of hunters in this state have never (rarely) seen diseased deer, Now the numbers are blowing up and skewing the bell curve at an alarnimg rate across larger areas across the state. This isn't just a trend that will go away without some serious intervention. Eliminating the breeders and imposing harsh penalties (instead of a slap on the wrist) is a dang good start.

f tpwd
f breeders

* I hope this emoji doesn't get your panties in a wad
GigemKW
Dear dudley.
If so many native deer running wild around you have cwd then You should buy some breeder and put them on your place so you know you have killed something that tested negative for cwd.
schmellba99
AG
GigemKW said:

Dear dudley.
If so many native deer running wild around you have cwd then You should buy some breeder and put them on your place so you know you have killed something that tested negative for cwd.
You don't read or comprehend all that well I see.
duddleysdraw88
AG
GigemKW said:

Dear dudley.

I haven't tested any deer, knucklehead. tpwd REPORTED the extremely high number of confirmed cases in my area and that is why I don't hunt here anymore.

Why is this so hard for you to comprehend?
flounder9
LukeDuke said:

flounder9 said:

CWD TEXAS 449 CASES

kind regards, terry

end...

SATURDAY, DECEMBER 04, 2021

TPWD CWD TSE PRION TRACKER UPDATE TEXAS 270 CONFIRMED TO DATE POSTIVE CAPTIVE AND WILD

2021-11-18 Free Range Medina N/A White-tailed Deer M 3.5

2021-11-04 Free Range El Paso N/A Mule Deer F 4.5

2021-10-18 Breeder Deer Medina Facility #4 White-tailed Deer M 4

2021-10-12 Breeder Deer Hunt Facility #9 White-tailed Deer F 8.189041096

2021-10-12 Breeder Deer Uvalde Facility #8 White-tailed Deer M 1.208219178

2021-10-12 Breeder Deer Uvalde Facility #8 White-tailed Deer M 1.21369863

2021-10-12 Breeder Deer Uvalde Facility #8 White-tailed Deer M 1.205479452

2021-10-12 Breeder Deer Uvalde Facility #8 White-tailed Deer M 2.208219178

2021-10-12 Breeder Deer Uvalde Facility #8 White-tailed Deer M 2.117808219

2021-10-08 Breeder Deer Duval Facility #13 White-tailed Deer F 3.238356164

2021-10-08 Breeder Deer Medina Facility #4 White-tailed Deer F 2.260273973

2021-09-14 Breeder Deer Medina Facility #4 White-tailed Deer F 6.205479452

SNIP...SEE ALL;

https://tpwd.texas.gov/huntwild/wild/diseases/cwd/tracking/

https://chronic-wasting-disease.blogspot.com/2021/12/tpwd-cwd-tse-prion-tracker-update-texas.html

schmellba99
AG
You really need to work on your posting style man. I'm on your side on this, but you just post gibberish that is unintelligible for the most part and doesn't do much to convey anything.
GigemKW
duddleysdraw88 said:

GigemKW said:

Dear dudley.

I haven't tested any deer, knucklehead. tpwd REPORTED the extremely high number of confirmed cases in my area and that is why I don't hunt here anymore.

Why is this so hard for you to comprehend?

There are 5.3 million deer in Texas. Cwd cases are not skyrocketing around you. There is a grey area here. We can be concerned about cwd without going "nuclear" and " f tpwd" and "f breeders". It is black and white to you at this moment but I ask you to be open minded.

Have you ever heard this saying? "Ranching is the only business where the goal is to break even?"
Can you blame farmers and cattle ranchers for trying to do something they love and and make a profit in deer breeding?
Ranching and farming is basically volunteer work and we should all hug these people for feeding the rest of us for such a pitiful income. Who do you think deer breeders are? I can assure you most are just normal, hard working people, so come at this with facts and a well thought out plan before you give double birds and burn it all down.

And why the insults? If we were sitting next to each other at Kyle watching the ags and having a beer….would u really talk to me like that? That is the most depressing aspect of all of this. Civility and conflict resolution skills are at a premium.

Some thoughts:
I do have to say that no cwd case has ever affected a human.
I will also say that I cannot guarantee that wont change.

In 2021 I believe 14,000 stocker bucks were tested for cwd.
No positives

I clicked on some (not all)of the breeder deer positives someone posted above. It looks like cwd is confined to a few breeders. That would make sense. If a few breeders have all the positives then that is better than all breeders having a few positives.

There is no hiding cwd from tpwd. All deer moved are tested. Almost all dead deer are tested. If you dont test dead deer you will lose the ability to move deer. Tpwd surveys each breeder annually to make sure nobody is cheating. Is this bulletproof? Probabaly not but the clamps have tightened dramatically and cheaters will be dealt with harshly. The govt can giveth or taketh away.

If you dont like the ante mortem tests complain to ATM. The lab is on campus.

You underestimate the value to the state of Texas deer breeders provide. A lot more than Joe Hunter does by buying a license and shooting doe off the farm.

Lastly, you didnt quit shooting deer locally because of cwd. You quit cause it is boring and old hat to shoot a spike behind the barn at the farm. You seek adventure, challenge, and possibly a trophy in OKlahoma and Nebraska, or elk hunting out west. Those places are a fun getaway that the local setting cannot provide.

None if this is a personal attack. It is a conversation. I want to understand all sides.
Gig Em

txags92
AG
Here we go again. Add three new counties to the list of places that breeders have spread CWD. Zavala, Washington, and Gonzales. Is it time to stop putting deer in trailers and shipping them around the state yet? Or are they going to wait until they manage to spread it to all of them?
Watchful Ag
AG
I'm from SE Texas and my wife still allows me to bring home deer
ursusguy
AG
Yes, the numbers are going higher..........and yes, associated with a select group of breeders (real select) accounting for those numbers.

TPWD know they should nuke the population, but has been tied up in legal issues since a particular breeder started fighting it and just watched that herd positive number continue to climb.
Apache
AG
Quote:

Add three new counties to the list of places that breeders have spread CWD. Zavala, Washington, and Gonzales.
Damn. Directly impacting me now. Do you have a link to the article or press release? I've searched but can't find anything.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
What do you mean, nuke the population? Overall deer pop in Texas or just the population associated with some or specific breeders?

Sorry if this is putting you on the spot. Just curious and respect your opinion.
txags92
AG
Apache said:

Quote:

Add three new counties to the list of places that breeders have spread CWD. Zavala, Washington, and Gonzales.
Damn. Directly impacting me now. Do you have a link to the article or press release? I've searched but can't find anything.

I don't have an online link to offer, but my source is TPWD. I would expect they will do a press release when they decide what the surveillance zones (if any) will look like.
ursusguy
AG
That particular breeding operation.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.