Outdoors
Sponsored by

Neighbors sheep dog harassing deer

7,949 Views | 93 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by MemphisAg1
DeBoss
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sitting the blind this morning and hear barking to the west of me. Neighbor over there has about 100 sheep and 4 dogs from what i can tell. Never seen a person over there in 3 years.

So I'm about 300 yards away from the property line when this dog comes barking loudly down the hill and chases after a buck at my feeder. Not the first time this has happened because I've sent a shotgun round at these dogs before for being in my pond and I have them on camera at my feeder when I'm not there.

So what are my options? I have no idea who owns the piece next to me. And I'd prefer to not dispatch the dog unless I have to. Any help or ideas would be great.
- If you are going to do something stupid, be smart about it.
tandy miller
AG
DeBoss said:

I have them on camera at my feeder when I'm not there.

Are the dogs eating corn?

Or are you feeding dog food?
FJB
giddings_ag_06
AG
Talk to neighbor.
Talk to sheriff.

In that order.
DeBoss
AG
No, like he chased the deer from the feeder close enough that he's on cam.
HarryJ33tamu
Shoot the dog and bury it
96ags
AG
DeBoss said:

Sitting the blind this morning and hear barking to the west of me. Neighbor over there has about 100 sheep and 4 dogs from what i can tell. Never seen a person over there in 3 years.

So I'm about 300 yards away from the property line when this dog comes barking loudly down the hill and chases after a buck at my feeder. Not the first time this has happened because I've sent a shotgun round at these dogs before for being in my pond and I have them on camera at my feeder when I'm not there.

So what are my options? I have no idea who owns the piece next to me. And I'd prefer to not dispatch the dog unless I have to. Any help or ideas would be great.
You can find out who owns it on the County appraisal district website.
tandy miller
AG
HarryJ33tamu said:

Shoot the dog and bury it
FJB
Ark03
AG
96ags said:

DeBoss said:

Or just... I don't know, walk over to their house and knock on the door.
Claude!
Ark03 said:

96ags said:

DeBoss said:

Maybe don't take the shotgun, though.
CS78
Hate it! Ive seen dogs turn running feeders into every day entertainment. Feeder goes off at 630, dogs show up at 6:40 seeing what they can find to chase. No good answer but I highly doubt your neighbor is going to get rid of the dogs or be able to contain them. Sheep dogs obviously need to be left out if working. If you talk to the neighbor or the sheriff then you remove the option to deal with it yourself. Whats the chance that the neighbor or sheriff fixes the problem? Slim to none. One option might be a strong pellet gun to the rear if you see them in person. If you decide to go further then Id recommend some MB650 leg hold traps for your coyote problem.
aggiedent
AG
"Shoot the dog and bury it"

Or…………. Take the time to find out whose dogs they are and talk to them.

Positives:
1. You don't have to bury anything.
2. You don't start a potential war with your neighbor.
3. Dog doesn't pay for owners mistake.
4. You've acted like a civilized human being.

Negatives:
1. Takes up some of your time.
2. Neighbor might not be receptive to the issue.
SanAntoneAg
AG
Give us your name and county and we'll look up your neighbor's info for you.
Bpriefert
HarryJ33tamu
aggiedent said:

Positives:

Negatives:

So you go talk to the neighbors and they tell you to piss off. Now what? Now they know if anything happens to their dog, it was you.

Either shoot the dog and bury it or get used to having that dog on your property terrorizing the deer at your feeder.
Ag_07
AG
Consider calling the GW and have them talk to the neighbor about keeping the dogs on their property.

This way it comes from a LEO and holds a bit of merit and it's anonymous as opposed to you personally talking to them.

He can frame like we've had complaints from neighbors that your dogs are running freely on their property.
96ags
AG
Ark03 said:

96ags said:

DeBoss said:

Good point!
BrazosDog02
AG
HarryJ33tamu said:

aggiedent said:

Positives:

Negatives:

So you go talk to the neighbors and they tell you to piss off. Now what? Now they know if anything happens to their dog, it was you.

Either shoot the dog and bury it or get used to having that dog on your property terrorizing the deer at your feeder.

Tough situation to be sure. With the comment above, that's true. But the alternative isn't ideal either. Killing an animal that is used to guard livestock is not great. I don't know what kind of person the neighbor is but if it were me, and the dogs were used to protect a flock that I use for generating income and I figured out someone killed it……I'd prepare for a new set of tires, probably a paint job, but likely legal action.

Like I said this sucks. Im not sure you have many options since the issue is interfering with a luxury recreation activity.

??

I think your only real and best semi anonymous option is the game warden route. Set your game camera up with video capability so you can send it to the GW and he can see the issue. Let him address it. That's what they get paid to do. Then you can be out of it for the most part.
DeBoss
AG
Yeah, there is no house. No one lives there. Dogs and sheep are there alone
S.A. Aggie
AG
CS78 said:

Hate it! Ive seen dogs turn running feeders into every day entertainment. Feeder goes off at 630, dogs show up at 6:40 seeing what they can find to chase. No good answer but I highly doubt your neighbor is going to get rid of the dogs or be able to contain them. Sheep dogs obviously need to be left out if working. If you talk to the neighbor or the sheriff then you remove the option to deal with it yourself. Whats the chance that the neighbor or sheriff fixes the problem? Slim to none. One option might be a strong pellet gun to the rear if you see them in person. If you decide to go further then Id recommend some MB650 leg hold traps for your coyote problem.

Get your USDA trapper to come and set some M44's. Put the signs in the fence next to the neighbors house. Dog problems will end.
aggiedent
AG
"So you go talk to the neighbors and they tell you to piss off. Now what? Now they know if anything happens to their dog, it was you.

Either shoot the dog and bury it or get used to having that dog on your property terrorizing the deer at your feeder."

While these things can be difficult situations, I have several reservations about your solution.

First off, you have automatically assumed the neighbor will be a *****? Why? We have rural property and leases and most of our neighbors are quite friendly and accommodating. Exceptions to the rule for sure, but most try to be good neighbors.

Second, if this guy uses the dogs to protect his flock, you assume that if you shoot the dog(s) that will be a permanent fix? Again, why? I'd assume he's going to get another working dog for his flock. Kinda makes sense doesn't it?

If OP keeps shooting those dogs, I think the neighbor is going to wise up fairly quick. Then what? Now you have a neighbor who you're at war with and your life can become miserable.

OP needs to do the right thing and find who owns the dogs.
schmellba99
AG
HarryJ33tamu said:

aggiedent said:

Positives:

Negatives:

If the dog is continually on his property, he has every right to shoot it and there is nothing the neighbors can do about it.

I'm not advocating shooting the dog, would be my last option personally. But the whole "don't ever go actually have a conversation with your neighbor because of XXXXXX reasons" is just pure garbage and I don't understand it at all.
schmellba99
AG
DeBoss said:

Yeah, there is no house. No one lives there. Dogs and sheep are there alone
As posted above, look on the county appraisal district website and you'll find the name and contact information for the property owner.

Take them to lunch, odds are they don't have any idea what's going on with the dogs and if they are like most folks out there - will be willing to try to resolve the situation without it becoming ugly.

It's amazing what happens when you actually talk with somebody versus immediately going to the LEO's or other more sinister means of solving the problem. The lack of ability to have a conversation first is a problem in our society, a whole lot of little problems could easily be solved if people would quit assuming that the other guy is automatically the worst sort of character and defaults to reactions based on that assumption.
redaszag99
I'd shoot it and not bury it
normaleagle05
AG
The CAD will have a mailing address that may/may not be for the owner. Who may/may not own the dogs. That's not very helpful.

What the world needs is phone books.
aggiedent
AG
"If the dog is continually on his property, he has every right to shoot it and there is nothing the neighbors can do about it."

I assume you mean legally, right?

We have property in East Texas. Not too far from us there was a murder about 10 years ago triggered by a neighbor shooting a fellow neighbors dog. There's some crazy folks out there with their own set of laws.

schmellba99
AG
normaleagle05 said:

The CAD will have a mailing address that may/may not be for the owner. Who may/may not own the dogs. That's not very helpful.

What the world needs is phone books.
It's a start. And since somebody has to pay taxes on that property, that address has to be a valid legal address.

I guess the other option is to just give up and not put any effort into even attempting to do the right thing and go with the assumption that the neighbor is a POS that will burn your house down at the first given opportunity and act accordingly. That seems to be the route a whole lot of folks on this board would go, which is really sad.
BrazosDog02
AG
aggiedent said:

"If the dog is continually on his property, he has every right to shoot it and there is nothing the neighbors can do about it."

I assume you mean legally, right?

We have property in East Texas. Not too far from us there was a murder about 10 years ago triggered by a neighbor shooting a fellow neighbors dog. There's some crazy folks out there with their own set of laws.

THIS.

I see where schmellba is coming from, and he is right. He would be legally within his right to do this. However, that doesn't mean there won't be an illegal **** storm of repercussions that the hunter is now having to deal with in perpetuity. People are crazy, and I feel anyone willing to let a working dog run totally free in an unfenced property probably isn't going to be much interested in spending thousands of dollars to add no climb to their property and very well may take some sort of offense to the request or discussion.

Having the GW deal with this puts the issue on the state and not the hunter. It's chasing deer. This is the GW's world. He can come stuff a stick in our shotgun to make sure we don't kill a single extra 1.5 oz of meat, so he can go talk to a neighbor who allows the dogs to chase deer in my opinion.
schmellba99
AG
There are always exceptions to the rule. But you can't live your life thinking "well something bad happened somewhere once, so obviously that means it will automatically happen to me 100% of the time!"

Well, I guess you can live your life like that. But it's a dumb way to live.

I've gone and talked to folks hundreds of times over things that have gone on - at work, home and on our deer lease as well, most of the time having had absolutely zero first hand knowledge about the person I'm talking to. It's amazing that I'm still alive, that my house hasn't been firebombed, that my kids haven't been murdered in their sleep and that my dogs haven't been shot. Apparently I'm just lucky or something.

I guarantee you that if you contact your neighbor over something like this and don't go in all brody and with an attitude and talking about legal action, LEO's, shooting dogs on site, etc. - 99% of the time that person will be more than willing to work to fix the problem. And if you are unlucky and hit that 1% that are just buttholes or DGAS...then you have the OB options at your disposal.

Who knows....you may find out you *gasp!* like your neighbor that you didn't know, have things in common, etc. in the process.
DeBoss
AG
So I haven't done anything at all at this point. I like the idea of trying to find the neighbor. This is a piece of property I want to buy if it ever comes for sale anyways so I really like the lunch idea. I definitely don't want to shoot a working dog unless it becomes violent towards me. A pellet gun may be a good way to encourage the dog to stay away.
one safe place
HarryJ33tamu said:

aggiedent said:

Positives:

Negatives:

This. The neighbor is just like those who let their dogs poop in someone else's yard, you won't get anywhere confronting them about their animal. They are not going to change their behavior of letting their dog run loose. In fact, they are going to be upset you brought it to their attention that Fido is being a bad boy. We have had the same problem over the years and most of the dogs are are not the Fifi type, they looked like a cross between a pit bull on steriods and the hound of the Baskervilles. I am sure many of them would kill a young deer. We shoot them but don't bury them, just drag them off away from the feeder/deer stand.
normaleagle05
AG
My order of operations would be:

1. Contact on the neighbors property (done, none).
2. The CAD and see if you can look them up better given that info.
3. The three nearest places to buy supplements for the livestock/working dogs.
4. The Game Warden.
5. Edit to add: shoot, working up from pellet gun, don't bother with the shovel.
Bpriefert
schmellba99 said:

There are always exceptions to the rule. But you can't live your life thinking "well something bad happened somewhere once, so obviously that means it will automatically happen to me 100% of the time!"

Well, I guess you can live your life like that. But it's a dumb way to live.

I've gone and talked to folks hundreds of times over things that have gone on - at work, home and on our deer lease as well, most of the time having had absolutely zero first hand knowledge about the person I'm talking to. It's amazing that I'm still alive, that my house hasn't been firebombed, that my kids haven't been murdered in their sleep and that my dogs haven't been shot. Apparently I'm just lucky or something.

I guarantee you that if you contact your neighbor over something like this and don't go in all brody and with an attitude and talking about legal action, LEO's, shooting dogs on site, etc. - 99% of the time that person will be more than willing to work to fix the problem. And if you are unlucky and hit that 1% that are just buttholes or DGAS...then you have the OB options at your disposal.

Who knows....you may find out you *gasp!* like your neighbor that you didn't know, have things in common, etc. in the process.
I must admit, unlike me, you may be that kind of person who can tell someone they smell like sh**it and somehow end up becoming their best friend. Unfortunately, as proven by countless similar threads on the OB, people (especially work-dog owners like hunting hound dog owners) are di*cks.

For those who think a GW will actually take the time and resources to resolve the issue over an occasional neighbor's dog chasing a deer - good luck on that one. They have way bigger fish to fry.

As @HarryJ33tamu said, the OP decision tree of talking to the neighbor has a much more probable failure % and eliminates the possibility of implementing "the final solution" for Max or Rover. Do you somehow think this neighbor is going to invest in a dog proof fence all so that you can recreate with your deer? You are going to be pounding sand otherwise.
Buck Turgidson
redaszag99 said:

I'd shoot it and not bury it
How about bury it but don't shoot it?
cupofjoe04
AG
one safe place said:

We shoot them but don't bury them, just drag them off away from the feeder/deer stand.
Username does NOT check out.
txags92
AG
Shoot it with a paintball gun as many times as you can. It will associate being around your feeders with pain and the neighbor will know their pink spotted dalmation was somewhere it should not have been.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.