Outdoors
Sponsored by

Neighbors sheep dog harassing deer

7,914 Views | 93 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by MemphisAg1
S.A. Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Seriously. Go with the M44's and you have no legal obligation should the dog bite one. We had a few dogs coming from the neighboring subdivision and once we notified them it stopped immediately.
average_joker
AG
I'd go with the Kimber Pepper Blaster. That dog will learn quick not to come around your feeder with a face full of mace, and you won't harm it.
bigF
AG
I had a neighbor with a roaming working dog. We are rural and it was making the rounds in the area pretty regular. I came home one day and it was in my yard. I wasn't a fan of it being around with little kids. I just grabbed my shotgun and a box of 7 1/2 shot. When I walked out of the house the dog took off. My shotgun is semi-auto. I let the dog get just far enough not to seriously harm it and put 3 shots in its rear. I then reloaded, chased it about 50 mph across my farm and hammered it 3 more times. It never came back.
SteveBott
AG
Might be a winner.
Gunny456
AG
And 31 stars.... like a good neighbor... State Farm is there.
Gunny456
AG
If he has sheep he has to dip and shear them.
In our part of the country we would contact the neighbor, show him the proof.
Happens again call the game warden. Show him the proof.
Myself and my neighbors, given the same circumstances, would take care of it.
fullback44
AG
Well if none of that stuff works you could also try running it away with a flame thrower …. Just give it enough juice to make him feel the heat like a bad sunburn .. probably won't come back
txrancher69
AG
Look, in all seriousness, don't shoot the dog and leave yourself open to all the problems that could entail. Call the game warden and tell him you have a coyote problem, seeing a lot of tracks, and then put up a series of snares around your feeder. Cover any trails leading from it to your neighbors property as well. When dog is caught he's on your property so no question he is where he shouldn't be and it is not your fault he was snared and killed. I would leave him in the snare. Keep the snares up and your neighbor can switch to using a guard donkey if replacement dogs are also caught. Good snares are cheap and most feed stores have them. Make sure you don't let your dog run around when you're out there.
So three conspiracy theorists walk into a bar.................You can't convince me that's a coincidence.
Gunny456
AG
Boy you sound like a really good neighbor.
Gunny456
AG
I had a neighbors Great Pyrenees chasing a buck on our side of the fence. I went and talked with him and he apologized and I never saw the dog again. Being that I grew up on a ranch and own and operate my own now for many years I have never had an issue by going and talking with a neighbor over a problem.
We are ranchers, we know stuff will happen when your dealing with animals.
I have had cattle in my yard, horses in my garden, goats eating my wife's flowers..... all from different neighbors. It happens and we all take care of it and offer to pay for damages.
It pays off if your pasture catches fire and you need help to keep your house from burning down.... which any of us would do for the other if needed.
And our game wardens in our county would come to help us for anything.
See...we believe in developing friendships and relationships in our part of the world....good chance it will pay off.
Jack Squat 83
AG
If the guy has sheep, seems you all would share a net-wire fence. Unless the dog is jumping the fence it might be as simple as finding the hole(s) and fixing them. Could be an ill fitting gate too that the dog is getting through. Just a thought.
Pretty sure most of you don’t know me.
fullback44
AG
DeBoss said:

Sitting the blind this morning and hear barking to the west of me. Neighbor over there has about 100 sheep and 4 dogs from what i can tell. Never seen a person over there in 3 years.

So I'm about 300 yards away from the property line when this dog comes barking loudly down the hill and chases after a buck at my feeder. Not the first time this has happened because I've sent a shotgun round at these dogs before for being in my pond and I have them on camera at my feeder when I'm not there.

So what are my options? I have no idea who owns the piece next to me. And I'd prefer to not dispatch the dog unless I have to. Any help or ideas would be great.

So are you on a deer lease or do you own the property? Most farmers and ranchers know their neighbors and just call them about the problem, it's not a big deal. Growing up on a ranch you always have cattle go on each sides of the fences and you either give the neighbor his cattle back or he calls you and gives you yours back. I honestly don't know why your not calling your neighbors ?

If your leasing land or hunting rights then you really have no choice but to call the people your leasing from and talk to them .. they will know the land owner next door and can talk to him about it

The flame thrower comment above is just a joke.. it's really a very simple matter. You shouldn't m kill these dogs until you talk with someone, this can be worked out. Later down the road if issues persist then maybe you take matters into your own hands ….
Gunny456
AG
Good post. Good neighbor.
Watchful Ag
AG
txags92 said:

Shoot it with a paintball gun as many times as you can. It will associate being around your feeders with pain and the neighbor will know their pink spotted dalmation was somewhere it should not have been.

This got buried at the bottom of page one, but I came here to post this exact thing.

I grew up in Orange, TX. The amount of roaming dogs in our neighborhood were unimaginable. They were fine on the road, but when they started coming into our yard and getting testy with my dog behind our fence, I decided to do something about it.

I was in high school and played paintball with friends from time to time. I kept a cheap paintball gun on the ready and would pepper dogs when I see them step foot in our yard. They eventually stopped. And it made for great entertainment.

Talk to neighbor first. Then check for holes in the fence. If those two steps don't suffice - buy a cheap paintball gun and go have some fun
DeBoss
AG
I ran the fence line yesterday and didn't see any obvious holes or big areas where they are getting underneath so Imt thinking it's jumping.

It's my land so no one to deal with besides myself and I'm sure we'll get something figured out.
- If you are going to do something stupid, be smart about it.
Build It
AG
You must be a paintball world champion to be able to hit a running dog from a deer stand a hundred yards away.
panhandlefarmer
AG
Find the land owner and talk to them. They probably don't know. I use LGDs and they are very effective at protecting livestock. I would want to know if one of them was being a nuisance and I would take measures to correct it. If they aren't interested in correcting the dog(s) being a problem, then inform the game warden and sheriff. I am pretty sure it is legal to shoot a dog harassing livestock or wildlife on your property. But try a civil conversation first. Why is that so tough for people? Neighbor problems are the worst and should be avoided even at the cost of your pride and patience.
HarryJ33tamu
Alright who's the funny guy…

AnScAggie
AG
A dog wandering on to my property and a dog running my livestock or wildlife are two different things. One gets a pass, one gets a bullet with zero exceptions.
ag_pete09
AG
Is it actually legal to shoot a dog harassing wildlife?

Can anyone cite a reference?

I've seen pretty clear documentation about shooting dogs harassing livestock, but haven't found anything on harassing wildlife.

Not advocating for it, but it's too easy for people to say something is legal when it really isn't.
BlitzGD
AG
I believe OP mistyped coyote.

Shooting coyote is not a criminal offense.

Deer are not livestock, so shooting a dog attacking deer is a criminal offense.
Quarterback can't throw the ball lying on his back.
Furlock Bones
AG
tandy miller said:

DeBoss said:

I have them on camera at my feeder when I'm not there.

Are the dogs eating corn?

Or are you feeding dog food?
sheep dogs will absolutely eat the deer corn. my land owner switched from llamas to sheep dogs 3 seasons ago. they are the worst.
Jason_InfinityRoofer
This reminds me of an episode of 1923. He had a situation involving sheep. Might be a little extreme though?
MemphisAg1
AG
I understand both sides of this discussion. Seems like this could be a good application for rock salt where you put a non-lethal hurt on the dog to scare the hell out of them and hopefully convince them to stay away. Need enough distance that you don't maim them, but close enough to get penetration under the fur. 40 to 50 yards, something like that.

https://www.phoenixrising.store/12-gauge-2-34-rock-salt-and-pepper-ammunition.html

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.