Outdoors
Sponsored by

Suppressor Purchase Help

2,631 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by aggieforester05
DBill
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I am ready to pull the trigger on a suppressor and wondering if the optional accessories are needed. The one I am looking to buy is the silencerco omega 36M. I'm choosing this one so I can swap between my 223, 300BO, 308 and 6.5 Grendel.

https://www.silencershop.com/silencers/silencerco-omega-36m.html

Do I need/ want the muzzle brakes or flash hider?
AggieRoofer14
AG
i have the muzzle breaks on all of my rifles with the asr mount on my suppressor.
txyaloo
AG
As long as you buy a direct thread version, you don't need an adapter, but I wouldn't buy a direct thread can unless it was going on a .22 or dedicated bolt gun. Way too easy for the can to walk off the barrel shoulder during rapid fire. When that happens, you end up with a baffle strike destroying your can.

Quick attach adapters are way more secure and faster to install the can
drummer0415
AG
I have a SiCo can and put ASR devices on all my rifles so I can easily swap the can from gun to gun. It works great and I highly recommend it.

As for muzzle break vs flash hider, thats just a matter of personal preference and what you want for each gun.
DBill
AG
Good to know. I'll go ahead and grab the muzzle brakes.
BenderRodriguez
AG
Make sure you know thread pitch. Your .223 should be 1/2-28 and everything else is probably 5/8-24 but double check before you order
DBill
AG
BenderRodriguez said:

Make sure you know thread pitch. Your .223 should be 1/2-28 and everything else is probably 5/8-24 but double check before you order

Yep, that is correct. Checked them before ordering.
Aggietaco
AG
If you haven't shot a rifle with a brake before, just know that those sico brakes are good at making loud things louder.

I have one on my dedicated sbr 556 upper and just never shoot it without the can because it gets loud even with double ears.
mosdefn14
AG
Flash hider friend here. I put brakes on everything while my first can was in jail. Wow that is freaking loud. Then, I've forgotten a can when leaving in a hurry, and a braked pistol length AR will piss off some hunting buddies.
08N.Ftw.Ag
AG
Agree. ASR SiCo user here. Brakes on shorties are obnoxious. Go with flash hider
Morpholino
AG
I have the 36M and love its versatility. You can also get various end caps to fit the caliber you will shoot. On my ARs I have the ASR muzzle brake. On one of my ARs with night vision I have the ASR flash hider. On my PCCs I have the 3-lug nut. On my handguns I do direct thread. Lots of options. But also lots of accessories which = lots of cash spent lol.
fire09
AG
I run asr mounts on all my rifles, both brake and flash hiders depending on barrel length. They make it real easy to switch the can around between what is being shot that day, and like other posters mentioned, no need to worry about the can walking.
Dirty-8-thirty Ag
AG
I went with the SiCo hybrid, direct thread on everything. Have never had a single issue of can backing off threads. I have all the end caps for it and shoot it on all my guns with threaded muzzles. .223, 6.5 CM, .308, .30-06, .38 sp, .357 mag & .45-70. Plan on running it on a .300 Win Mag as soon as I save up enough for that Proof Research Elevation MTR.
cledus6150
AG
I have a proof research elevation in 300wm and love it, working up loads for it right now. I actually run my hybrid on it but use The Q plan B attachment on the suppressor and the cherry bomb brake on the rifle. Overall it cuts down on length a bit and makes for a sleeker look than the ASR brakes. I still have another hybrid that is setup for the ASR system as I have two bolt guns I won't remove the ASR brakes from as they shoot too good to mess with!
justsomeguy
AG
I would highly recommend purchasing the exact can you want from a local dealer that way you can shoot it while you wait out the slowest governmental organization that has ever existed. My dealer allowed me to check my can out for weekends when I went down south and I would simply bring it back the following Monday. You don't get that with silencer shop and I'm told by several buddies that their dealer also did that for them.
justsomeguy
AG
Also, I have the Dead Air nomad 30 mainly for my Q Honey Badger .300 AAC over the cherry bomb muzzle brake and I had my Remington 700 .270 threaded so I can direct thread my cab onto it as well. The .270 is wicked quiet. Best Buy you'll ever make is a can. Then a thermal.
Mr. Dubi
Just buy one that meets the closest to your wants of calibers, weight, mount, size, sound suppression, cost and availability. It's going to take a year to get it and it will be two generations obsolete by the time it makes it to your safe.
aggieforester05
AG
justsomeguy said:

I would highly recommend purchasing the exact can you want from a local dealer that way you can shoot it while you wait out the slowest governmental organization that has ever existed. My dealer allowed me to check my can out for weekends when I went down south and I would simply bring it back the following Monday. You don't get that with silencer shop and I'm told by several buddies that their dealer also did that for them.
Is that legal? I've never heard of that being a possibility before. My dealer is an indoor range and they'll allow me to shoot it there while waiting, but I'd be worried about being in possession of it outside of my FFL.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.