Outdoors
Sponsored by

7.62x39 platform preferences

3,192 Views | 46 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Eliminatus
ShouldastayedataTm
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Alright you purveyors of fine knowledge and experience. Here is a question for you and I am looking for all the details you can for why you make the recommendation you do. Ruger Mini 30, AK, or AR in 7.62x39. Which is your preference and why?
malenurse
AG
7.62x39 is a commie round. It deserves to be shot from a commie gun
AquaCasaAg
AG
We have a Ruger mini 30 as our ranch truck rifle. It does not cycle steel ammo well if you are planning on slinging some cheap stuff. Other than that it is a good gun.
TacosaurusRex
I have an 7.62x39 in an AR platform because I got a smokin deal on it, but it is a pig killing machine. I would love a commie gun to shoot the commie round out of though.
aggie_wes
AG
AK all the way
TwoMarksHand
AG
I shot a couple CMMGs on a thermal hog hunt. They were pretty awesome.
JeremiahJohnson
AG
Brn180 has been a ton of fun to shoot. Ease of AR. Foldable and no buffer tube.
Also the BRN-180 is made by PWS

BenderRodriguez
AG
AK, for sure.

More reliable mags than 7.62x39 ARs, and its good to know how the most common gun in the world works.

Spending time getting to know how to shoot an AK gives you a great appreciation for what an outstanding firearm the AR really is.

General rule of AKs is buy foreign if you can, though thats gotten a lot harder the last few years.

Zastava would be my current recommendation.
BenderRodriguez
AG

ShouldastayedataTm
Please tell me those are two different guns and you did not paint that wood that way....
highvelocity
AG
PWS is the answer you seek
Strongweasel97
AG
I've been putting a PSA "American B-stard" 12.7 inch through the ringer lately and it has been rock solid and accurate. Picked it up because you can get it with a threaded 1/2x28 barrel, thus a .30 cal rifle can is usable and no barrel/concentric issues.
lexofer
AG
Galil Ace. Takes all the positives of the AKs operating system but fixes all of the AK crappiness. Can actually mount scopes reliably, a folding stock that still has a good cheek weld (AR compatible), safety you can reach, left side operating handle.

https://iwi.us/product/galil-ace-gen-ii-rifle-7-62x39mm-gar37/
agsalaska
AG
There are a lot of posters with a LOT more experience than me.

But I have one semi auto scary to democrats gun that I shoot and stay competent with, and that's a Norinco Mak-90(AK Variant).

Great balance, great trigger(especially for a scary gun), great open sites, eats everything I feed it, recoil is mild on a bad day, not too loud, 18 inch barrel.

They are expensive. But I have shot, I dont know, a 15-20 different AK variants and it is the best by a mile that I have shot.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.

Elko is a loser and we will be buying him out for some obscene amount of money in two years. - Agsalaska

SMM48
AG
PWS. all day.
FIDO 96
AG
CZ VZ-58. Makes the AK look and feel like a stamped POS (because it is).
CactusThomas
AG
CZ 527

I've had or still have Aks, sks's, and a mini 30. I like them all to be honest. 527 is just my favorite. No interest in the AR.
Oldman04
AG
FIDO 96 said:

You never handled a milled AK have you? I have a 1958 Polish Type 3 and I much prefer it over my Vz58. In my opinion AK-47(milled)>Vz58>AKM variants.
gravitartx
AG
Get an AK. Had a Radical AR in 7.62x39 and couldn't get it reliable. Swapped out the firing pin for a longer one, stiffer trigger spring, and ran c products duramags and the thing would still get feeding problems and light primer strikes all the time. Sold that gun not long after I bought it and don't miss it at all
tk111
AG
BenderRodriguez said:

Love Zastava. Its a travesty how those have to be shipped over and completely re-manufactured.
tk111
AG
ShouldastayedataTm said:

Please tell me those are two different guns and you did not paint that wood that way....
You must not have done many of those little "spot the differences" puzzles as a kid
GSS
Went straight to an AR in the Commie round, had heard the magazine/feed issues had been corrected, indeed was the case for me. I can't recall any failure to feed, from three different x39 AR's.

Reliable ignition of the steel case stuff has been an issue, especially if the AR trigger has been changed or improved, but as I reload for mine, not a real concern.

Had so much fun improving the Commie round performance, I also bought a Howa mini-action bolt gun. Very impressed!
NRA Life
TSRA Life
ConfidentAg
AG
I have a Zastava ZPAP M70

It's so damn fun. Great quality too.

Daddy-O5
AG
GSS said:

Went straight to an AR in the Commie round, had heard the magazine/feed issues had been corrected, indeed was the case for me. I can't recall any failure to feed, from three different x39 AR's.

Reliable ignition of the steel case stuff has been an issue, especially if the AR trigger has been changed or improved, but as I reload for mine, not a real concern.

Had so much fun improving the Commie round performance, I also bought a Howa mini-action bolt gun. Very impressed!

What mags are you running? I've got a 7.62x39 short stroke piston build that I just got cycling smooth. Mags are still an issue though, FMJs feed through my 20rd Duramag no problem but neither my ASCs nor Duramags like HPs. I've been reading good things about D&H mags.
dodger02
AG
I have a converted Saiga and it might be my favorite rifle. But I can't find anyone who will install a flash hider and I'm too worried that I'll screw it up if I try to do it myself.
CS78
ShouldastayedataTm
Thanks everyone. Sounds like I have more research to do. And no did not play a lot of picture difference games, though looking closer I see several now.
ConfidentAg
AG
Just buy a Zpap M70.

You won't regret it.
GSS
ASC mags, 10 and 20 round units.
Edited: I cannot tell any difference between 10 round x39/6.8SPC magazines; follower and body appear identical (and both work in either upper).
NRA Life
TSRA Life
SWCBonfire
AG
Oldman04 said:

FIDO 96 said:

You never handled a milled AK have you? I have a 1958 Polish Type 3 and I much prefer it over my Vz58. In my opinion AK-47(milled)>Vz58>AKM variants.

IIRC, a VZ58 is around a pound lighter than a milled AK.

If you have both, Czech yourself.
F4GIB71
I always wanted one for the collection. Finally broke down and bought a Century Arms WASR 10. Never realized how much I'd like it. I won't shoot Wolf or any steel crap in any gun I care about, however a Commie gun and Commie ammo is a match made in heaven. I've taken it to several local carbine matches and it's been flawless.
Comeby!
AG
I have an AK right out of COD. But if anyone asks, lost it in a boating accident.
C ROC N
SKS , open sight dead on at 300 m, smooth operating rifle with never an issue.
MoneyG
AG
Sig 556R. I bought it to kill pigs, Eotech site on top, great gun. Cycles everything I've put in it, including steel.
ghollow
AG
C ROC N said:

SKS , open sight dead on at 300 m, smooth operating rifle with never an issue.
I have the same. Great rifle, shoots straight, will eat any ammo. I traded for mine. The previous owner, a friend of mine, had replaced the wood stock with a composite. It is a pig killing machine.
So the greatest civilization is one where all citizens are equally armed and can only be persuaded, never forced. It removes force from the equation... and that's why carrying a gun is a civilized act.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.