Outdoors
Sponsored by

Drop leg holster?

2,534 Views | 39 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by SMM48
TylerAg98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Does anyone have a drop leg holster that they would recommend (brand/manufacturer)? Thinking about getting one to wear at our land. Don't want the kind that sits really low on the thigh.
Naveronski
AG
Safariland is the standard, but model will depend on the firearm you want to carry.
TylerAg98
AG
Naveronski said:

Safariland is the standard, but model will depend on the firearm you want to carry.

Gen 5 Glock 19 with RMR and SL TLR-1
cuz-i-can
AG
In my opinion...and I've carried drop leg holsters and they are trash...it might look cool but go jump over something or sprint with it on...it's cumbersome...wear your firearm where you can control it...
CharlieBrown17
AG
You do a lot of unplanned sprinting and obstacle jumping walking around your land?
SMM48
AG
This will make it easier to see how it all works.

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CbLuFPLAfM6/?igshid=ZDU1ZDhlY2E=

Not a Drop Leg, but the UBL puts the top of the weapon right at your belt line

Safariland holster. 6360RDS for example, but you may want without retention. If you're gonna do 3 gun and dont need retention, that's a different holster. Trex has their holster below. Ragnarok.

You can bolt up the holster straight up to the UBL Below, or can use Quick locking system.

Midride Universal Belt Loop

https://safariland.com/collections/holster-attachments/products/model-6070ubl-mid-ride-universal-belt-loop-11118

Quick Locking system

https://safariland.com/collections/holster-attachments/products/quick-locking-system-kit-23136

Leg Strap to keep it from flailing away. Trex Arms has one on their site.

Recommend you get a dedicated Gun belt. Easier to just keep the holster on the belt.

https://ferroconcepts.com/collections/belts/products/the-bison-belt

Including the webpage from Trex Arms. Scroll down you will see how it all looks.

https://www.trex-arms.com/store/t-rex-ragnarok-holster/?holster_availability_ref=1166&handedness=%22right%22&threaded=false&color_ref=1&accessories=%5B%5D

SMM48
AG
Or just it all from safariland.

Depending on retention, 1, 2, or 3. They have the holster UBL combo/ leg strap you are looking for.

Simply customize to your firearm and light combo.

https://safariland.com/pages/duty-holsters
Naveronski
AG
cuz-i-can said:

In my opinion...and I've carried drop leg holsters and they are trash...it might look cool but go jump over something or sprint with it on...it's cumbersome...wear your firearm where you can control it...
Use one that's not trash!

SMM48 had several good suggestions.

I wore one with a single leg strap that dropped the holster a few inches to better clear armor, not a thigh rig that flopped whenever I moved.
txyaloo
AG
Not necessarily a drop leg holster, but I've run Blade-tech's drop/offset holster for probably a decade. Gets the gun a little lower and spaced out from the body compared to a standard tucked tight kydex owb but doesn't flop around. Haven't ever had any issues with it. As mentioned above though, the Safariland is the gold standard for a "true" drop leg.

TylerAg98
AG
What is the retention like on that Blade-Tech?
O.G.
Not a fan of them for a handgun. I've carried gas masks down there but that's a lot less weight than a gun.

Its tacticool looking but not all that practical once you have to stand/run or anything else.
P.U.T.U
AG
Unless you pay good money for a drop leg holster you will likely get hit in the nuts if you have to run. I have had a few friends in the military and they always complained about them. I mean I have found it funny when my friends try to look cool and get nut shots but thats just me

As stated a drop holster is the way to go, Safari land is my go to. Running a gun like a G19 and a standard holster will dig into your hip when riding in something like a gator. The drop holster gets it down far enough that I can go all day without discomfort.
TylerAg98
AG
O.G. said:

Not a fan of them for a handgun. I've carried gas masks down there but that's a lot less weight than a gun.

Its tacticool looking but not all that practical once you have to stand/run or anything else.
For the two of you who have mentioned running with a leg holster on, I don't plan on doing much running out on our land. Just like the concept of the ride height and ease of drawing from this rig. In fact, I don't ever run with my pistol no matter the holster or position in which I carry it. I'm not a cop chasing bad guys.
P.U.T.U
AG
Then you want a drop holster, it retains the north/south position when sitting or standing. Drop leg would make you draw back or have you straighten out your leg some. I say this from experience from someone that has played around with several when sitting.

I have worn a Bigfoot gun belt for almost 8 years and it is still staying strong. Honestly not only is it a good gun belt but also a great belt in general, best part is they cost about the same as one from that you buy off the shelf
Naveronski
AG
Bunch of people seem hung up on flopping, either due to using bad holsters or having heard about them.

These don't flop around and are good:

These flop and are bad:

txyaloo
AG
RED III said:

What is the retention like on that Blade-Tech?
It's not a level 3 holster but the retention is adjustable like most OWB holsters. I've never had the gun fall out from normal use in classes or working in the pasture
txyaloo
AG
I'm not hung up on flopping but I really don't like having an upper thigh strap. Just not comfortable for me, and unless something crazy happens, I'm not going into combat and don't need that level of security. A drop/offset holster clears armor for classes and is more comfortable riding around without having to have the thigh strap.
TylerAg98
AG
I think the T.Rex Ragnarok with Safariland UBL Mid-Ride is going to be perfect for what I'm looking for. Looks like I can easily run this without a thigh strap. Similar to what the lady in the pic above with pink hair is wearing. Thanks everyone!
BlueSmoke
Drop legs flop around too much. To get them to anchor, you basically have a tourniquet on your leg. Get a range belt with a good holster, as mentioned above.
Nobody cares. Work Harder
O.G.
BlueSmoke said:

Drop legs flop around too much. To get them to anchor, you basically have a tourniquet on your leg. Get a range belt with a good holster, as mentioned above.
This, you may not being chasing bad guys or whatever, but its doing to sag, badly. Its going to bang into stuff, its going to jam up against your leg & hang up on stuff when you try to get into your truck etc etc etc. Its not going to ride right where your hand is like all the pics in the ads say they will.

Tacticool looking? Yes. Is it going to become a pain? Also yes. Practical? No.
AgLA06
AG
O.G. said:

The average person spends more time getting in, driving, or getting out of a vehicle or sittingin blinds. Most of us aren't doing whatever the latest former special forces youtube training challenge is. We just want something out of the way of seatbelts and backpacks and comfortable, yet still easily accessible.
TylerAg98
AG
I'll report back my experience once I get my shipment in the mail. I went with just a mid-ride drop holster, not drop leg holster with straps.
O.G.
AgLA06 said:

O.G. said:

The average person spends more time getting in, driving, or getting out of a vehicle or sittingin blinds. Most of us aren't doing whatever the latest former special forces youtube training challenge is. We just want something out of the way of seatbelts and backpacks and comfortable, yet still easily accessible.
Cool.

Between everyone else on this feed, I'm probably the only one that has worn anything (gas mask) on their leg for any length of time. Not doing youtube stuff. I was doing job stuff. Real world. In vehicles, buildings etc etc.
Its going to look cool at first. Then, eventually, it isn't going to be comfortable, or accessible because it will droop much lower than the mannequin model pic above. A handgun weighing a couple of pounds, loaded, will feel like a lot more eventually. It is going to flop around. You will be forever having to readjust it, even when you go to sit down.

Its going to be in the way. Its going to be uncomfortable. Sooner than later you'll take it off and either start carrying with a regular holster or in the console of your truck.

So, you can argue with me if you want, but I was doing this in the early 2000s before there was a youtube...so no, it wasn't the latest greatest spec ops training that I learned this from.

Naveronski
AG
O.G. said:

AgLA06 said:

O.G. said:

Cool.

Between everyone else on this feed, I'm probably the only one that has worn anything (gas mask) on their leg for any length of time. Not doing youtube stuff. I was doing job stuff. Real world. In vehicles, buildings etc etc.
Its going to look cool at first. Then, eventually, it isn't going to be comfortable, or accessible because it will droop much lower than the mannequin model pic above. A handgun weighing a couple of pounds, loaded, will feel like a lot more eventually. It is going to flop around. You will be forever having to readjust it, even when you go to sit down.

Its going to be in the way. Its going to be uncomfortable. Sooner than later you'll take it off and either start carrying with a regular holster or in the console of your truck.

So, you can argue with me if you want, but I was doing this in the early 2000s before there was a youtube...so no, it wasn't the latest greatest spec ops training that I learned this from.

So because you wore a gas mask in a crappy carrier 20 years ago, you're an expert in carrying a pistol with current holsters/options?

lol

Also, no.
As per my previous post, I've done this too; with a pistol, much more recently.
O.G.
Naveronski said:

O.G. said:

AgLA06 said:

O.G. said:

Cool.

So because you wore a gas mask in a crappy carrier 20 years ago, you're an expert in carrying a pistol with current holsters/options?

lol

Also, no.
Wasn't a crappy carrier. Double stitched nylon double leg loops and all of that. Galls, I believe. Some of our stuff was Galls, some was Blackhawk.

Much lighter than a gun....which is how I know a gun will be worse. But you do you. Since you assumed so much about me, I'll assume that you were doing this much more recently for 12 hour shifts, 4 on/4off, up and down stairs, doors/cars etc etc? Because I was. Real world, real use.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Gas mask carriers are trash

Assuming Naveronski is talking from real world use cases is a good assumption you should keep
O.G.
CharlieBrown17 said:

Gas mask carriers are trash

Assuming Naveronski is talking from real world use cases is a good assumption you should keep
Needing to use a gas mask carrier in the first place is trash. But at the end of the day, its still something on your leg, and its in the way.
SMM48
AG
Get the strap anyway. If you use it great. If not you'll have it just in case.
TylerAg98
AG
SMM48 said:

Get the strap anyway. If you use it great. If not you'll have it just in case.

I did. Wanted to have the option.

D206
AG
O.G. said:

Naveronski said:

O.G. said:

AgLA06 said:

O.G. said:

Cool.

lol

Also, no.
Wasn't a crappy carrier. Double stitched nylon double leg loops and all of that. Galls, I believe. Some of our stuff was Galls, some was Blackhawk.

Much lighter than a gun....which is how I know a gun will be worse. But you do you. Since you assumed so much about me, I'll assume that you were doing this much more recently for 12 hour shifts, 4 on/4off, up and down stairs, doors/cars etc etc? Because I was. Real world, real use.

Why are you trying to compare a floppy ass gas mask to a secured pistol?
O.G.
D206 said:

O.G. said:

Naveronski said:

O.G. said:

AgLA06 said:

O.G. said:

Cool.

lol

Also, no.

Why are you trying to compare a floppy ass gas mask to a secured pistol?
Never mind. You do you.

Don't listen to me with regard to gear that I....follow me here....have used. That was....follow me some more.......a lot lighter than a gun, and actually flopped less because I could synch it up more. The pistol....follow me just a little further...., weighs more than the mask and is going to sag and pull down. Maybe not at first, but it will eventually. .Also, because of the weight of the gun, its going to move on your legs.

Again, do NOT listen to me here, because the picture with the mannequin above is totally real world legit. and the momentum of your leg moving back and forth is, in no way, going to make anything attached to your leg start to give/need to be re-tightened constantly.

However, you seem sold on the issue. So again, you do you. It will totally stay in place when you/your jeans are moving even at a walking pace. It totally won't be in the way and it really really won't pull down on that right side after a few hours. Not at all.

Things I would wear on my leg: extra mag carrier. (maybe) Med kit, (do you even have one of those?) Gas mask, if I absolutely had to again. A gun? No effing way.
D206
AG
You described the crappy holsters in your post… So you clearly don't have any experience pertinent to the conversation.
O.G.
D206 said:

You described the crappy holsters in your post… So you clearly don't have any experience pertinent to the conversation.
No. I didn't I said it was either a Galls or a Blackhawk. I can't remember. Neither of which makes bad gear. Someone else said it was a crappy holster...rather, they assumed it.....but I'd bet a 6pack of whatever you drink that they also use Galls & Blackhawk, since they haven't replied since I pointed that out.

The EXPERIENCE of wearing a leg holster, is however a crappy one. They are bad kit. But again, you do you.

Also, OP already went with a different rig anyway, so why are you beating a dead horse?
AgLA06
AG
Congrats on F'ing up this thread.
D206
AG
O.G. said:

D206 said:

No. I didn't I said it was either a Galls or a Blackhawk. I can't remember. Neither of which makes bad gear. Someone else said it was a crappy holster...rather, they assumed it.....but I'd bet a 6pack of whatever you drink that they also use Galls & Blackhawk, since they haven't replied since I pointed that out.

The EXPERIENCE of wearing a leg holster, is however a crappy one. They are bad kit. But again, you do you.

Also, OP already went with a different rig anyway, so why are you beating a dead horse?

Scroll up to the pictures Naveronski posted. You described the crappy Blackhawk holsters the Army issues.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.