Outdoors
Sponsored by

Run N Gun

22,832 Views | 161 Replies | Last: 15 hrs ago by FamousAgg
jrb2019
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Only 2 weeks out! Hope the weather is like today. Got in a short run (I'm doing the 5k) and some shooting this afternoon. Think I've sorted out most of my equipment problems. I plan to take one AR mag with 77gr SMKs for whatever long distance shots there may be. Everything else is 55gr cheap stuff.

FamousAgg
I had not thought about some heavier rounds for the longer targets.

223 or 5.56 for this event? For some reason I had it in my head that 5.56 was hotter, but doing some basic online searches, doesn't look to be many major differences in muzzle velocity. Not sure why I had that idea in my head. I'm using a 223 Wilde barrel, so doesn't make me any difference, been target shooting with just whatever cheap stuff I have
tk111
AG
BattleGrackle said:

I had not thought about some heavier rounds for the longer targets.

223 or 5.56 for this event? For some reason I had it in my head that 5.56 was hotter, but doing some basic online searches, doesn't look to be many major differences in muzzle velocity. Not sure why I had that idea in my head. I'm using a 223 Wilde barrel, so doesn't make me any difference, been target shooting with just whatever cheap stuff I have
Velocity aint gonna make a difference either way shooting at paper and steel, as long as you know the dope. Use whatever is the most accurate in your gun (that you are willing to spend $$$ on).

the reason jrb is using the 77gr smk is because its a better quality round that'll have tighter groups

Also - did your ankle get better? Dont eff yourself up if its not sorted out...
BenderRodriguez
AG
I like your strategy.

I always assume I'd screw up and manage to dump the 77grs on a 25 yard hoser stage though so I just run 55gr for everything.

In general, R&G matches tend to make distance targets large enough to not make it a huge problem (barring a 30 mph cross breeze).
TresPuertas
AG
anyone here on the waiting list or know anyone needing a spot. i'm having to withdraw from next weekend. i'd be happy to sell someone my spot at cost
tk111
AG
BenderRodriguez said:

I like your strategy.

I always assume I'd screw up and manage to dump the 77grs on a 25 yard hoser stage though so I just run 55gr for everything.

In general, R&G matches tend to make distance targets large enough to not make it a huge problem (barring a 30 mph cross breeze).
I would totally do that, or put the 55gr in on the long target and wonder why Im flying over the top, so I'll go all or nothing.

I bought a bunch of AAC 77gr hpbt from PSA a few weeks ago to try because it was $15/box (!!!) so Im gonna test that this weekend.

Gonna go 120 rounds each of rifle and pistol and pray that my problem at the end was that I brought too much.
BenderRodriguez
AG
Whats the stated round count for the match?

General advice is 1.5x what they claim for required hits. I always tend to go a little heavier than that. If you know you have plenty extra, less likely to slow down shooting worried about remaining ammo, and stage time can make the difference. I'd rather carry more and shoot fast.
tk111
AG
BenderRodriguez said:

Whats the stated round count for the match?

General advice is 1.5x what they claim for required hits. I always tend to go a little heavier than that. If you know you have plenty extra, less likely to slow down shooting worried about remaining ammo, and stage time can make the difference. I'd rather carry more and shoot fast.
~50/50 for the Sunday run. They recommended 2-3x all over their website so that's where I got the 120. Might drop one pistol mag
FamousAgg
Best of luck to those running today. I'll see y'all tomorrow
BenderRodriguez
AG
BattleGrackle said:

Best of luck to those running today. I'll see y'all tomorrow

Hate that I'm out of town. Good luck to all!

Anyone running HR3 in March?
FamousAgg
Still have a lump on the back of my Achilles , but still planning on running tomorrow. The swelling is down a lot, have an MRI scheduled for Monday. I cut my running down by about 30% and took about 2 weeks off. Hopefully I can make it the full course tomorrow without issue.
jrb2019
AG
Sorry, long post ahead. Want to share my experience at the run & gun. Bottom line, would encourage everyone to get out and try this (or any competition).
Had a blast today at the RWR match today. First time for me at one of these and it's been way too long since I've shot a competition of any kind. I'll say I was pretty impressed with the organization of the match, logistics and ROs. All seemed to be great people. Also met a couple people from on here (BG hope the Achilles is ok) and ran into a West Pointer I first met in 2007. We had several other run-ins along the way but I hadn't seen him since 2015. Small world.

My prep for the match was really in 3 areas: equipment selection & setup, cardio, and shooting from non-standard positions. I should have put cardio first.

The run was mostly flat, but enough up and down to give a good workout. The final 200yds was uphill and I was pretty smoked. My biggest takeaway on cardio was that I should have done more runs where I'd stop (for up to 15 minutes) along the way. Waiting to shoot is nice for catching your breath, but my legs tend to get tight quickly so starting the next leg was harder than I expected. Most wait times were short, but one was long. I would not have been ready for the 10k.

Equipment wise I had most everything I needed except a chest rig and a new belt. My approach was to stay pretty light. 16" AR with 1-8x Eotech Vudu and Glock 19 with RMR. I carried 3 AR mags loaded with 55gr ammo and 1 loaded with 77gr. Planned to only take 4 Glock mags (20 rds ea), but threw one more in the gun before I started because I didn't know what to expect. I also carried a collapsible water bottle that I'd toss in my pocket while shooting. Just enough water for a cool day and 5k run. Initially, I didn't plan to take water, but I'm glad I did. I went through several holster setups leading up to the match. Took me a little to configure what worked for me and made a few returns too. Settled on the Safariland ALS, but I still really don't like it that much. It's a LOT of holster, but I like their active retention. Not knowing what obstacles there could be (or if I'd wipe out going down a hill), I went with more holster than less. Running in full kit as part of training was critical. I run with rifle slung on my back. Much easier to run IMO, but I had to make various adjustments to equipment. Definitely paid off today as everything felt good.

Shooting went better than I expected. I wasn't worried about pistol work, but rifle was much more of an unknown for me. Glad I got some practice at 300 & 400yds. Fortunately there was only one stage with targets that went out to 400ish.

Overall, this was great. Wish I videoed some, but didn't want the distraction as a first-timer. I'm going to jump on wait lists and hope I get another chance this year. If not, I'll be ready to sign up next year. I finished 3rd overall today and was pretty happy with that.
BenderRodriguez
AG
Fantastic job finishing that well on your first R&G!

Looking at the results you beat some guys I know are good shooters so well done.

Hope your AAR gets more OBers interested in trying it out.
jrb2019
AG
I really needed to do something like this. 20 years ago I was pretty focused on USPSA and loved every bit of it. Work/life changed priorities, but now I'm in a position where I can get back to competition (competition drives excellence!). I appreciate you guys highlighting these events and it motivates me to get off my butt and improve!
FamousAgg
Good to meet you JRB.

Funny enough I barely touched my water, next time I'll likely ditch the camelback and just stick a small bottle in the pocket too, or just go without.

I had a double feed on stage 2 with my rifle, ended up with a DNF there and also on stage 3.

I was told later on in the day that the final target on Stage 3 was 580 yards, not 100% sure on that. I was completely unprepared for stage 3, I think I got too excited and for whatever reason didn't adjust for wind age and just kept pulling the trigger with just a vertical hold over. Rookie mistake I guess.

Fitness was ok, i finished 17th I think on the running side. Not bad for a fat guy. I took a tumble headed to stage 1, I think one of the logs jumped up and got me.

Gear wise I want to take everything out of my backpack and put it on a belt. I was ammo heavy, 6 AR mags and 9 pistol mags. I'll do inventory tomorrow and see what I had left. I did find that my castle nut was loose just before I started and didn't have the right tool, so just grabbed onto it best I could with a multi tool.

I'm sure I'll think of more later.

MRI was previously scheduled for the Achilles tomorrow morning. It's definitely a bit sore.
tk111
AG
That was fun AF. Im hooked. Focused on accuracy over shooting speed which was a bad idea since thats not how its scored and Im not that accurate or fast to begin with lol. Def need speed pistol practice. Surprised there werent really any faster runners there but there were def some VERY fast shooters. Had one DNF where I couldnt hit a pistol target to save my life and then had a case jam in the slide/barrel so damn hard I had to smack it out with a mag, but that was the only mishap I had.

Just happy to finish without getting DQ'd or rolling my ankle..or getting shredded by cactus/mesquite.
jrb2019
AG
There's another one of these in April with Waco Tactical Fitness. Main slots are sold out but "standby" tickets go on sale 13 Feb. Both a Saturday and Sunday option.

https://www.wtfbiathlon.com/register
BenderRodriguez
AG
tk111 said:

Def need speed pistol practice. Surprised there werent really any faster runners there but there were def some VERY fast shooters.

Come shoot steel challenge matches with me this summer. It'll get your speed up.
jrb2019
AG
Looks like there are still slots available for this 2 day run & gun in January. Plenty of time to train if anyone is interested.

https://www.oedefense.com/event-details/YO-HQ-RNG
BenderRodriguez
AG
jrb2019 said:

Looks like there are still slots available for this 2 day run & gun in January. Plenty of time to train if anyone is interested.

I was sorely tempted, even at that price.

But I finally gave up and scheduled a drs appt to see whats going on with my stupid Achilles next week and dont think assuming I'll be good to go for a 2 day run and gun in four months would be very smart of me.
jrb2019
AG
Yeah it is kinda pricey. Probably the only one I'll do next year so I figure I'll get a twofer. It better cool off soon so I can start putting in some long runs though.
Smeghead4761
I just realized one possible upside to our super dry summer: I might be able to do the WTF run-n-gun in October with dry feet.
tk111
AG
BenderRodriguez said:

jrb2019 said:

I was sorely tempted, even at that price.

But I finally gave up and scheduled a drs appt to see whats going on with my stupid Achilles next week and dont think assuming I'll be good to go for a 2 day run and gun in four months would be very smart of me.
Yeah they priced me out of that one with the ticket + lodging etc. One of these days I might try to go out and be a RSO for them.
MyNameIsJeff
AG
I need to do one of these. I used to do the club matches at Tiger Valley frequently, but this would be a lot more challenging.

I haven't shot competitively or worked out in years. Would be a good reason.
The BroManDingo
Have any of y'all signed up/paid for OED 2-day match Jan 20th at the Y.O.?

I got my ticket sep 1st when registration opened. I havnt received a confirmation email. But the money came out of account.

Just wondering if missed the email or what. I reached out to them via email but havnt received a response yet.
jrb2019
AG
I got a confirmation email right after I registered titled "YO Ranch Headquarters Run n Gun". It said "Thank you for registering" and had a ticket number and QR code. Maybe in your junk folder?
The BroManDingo
Thanks for your help, I got the email! I'm just dumb…I was busy when I signed up. When I went back to search for it I was looking for old eighteen as title instead and glossed over Y.O
FamousAgg
The distance is putting me off. 6 miles is a lot for a fat boy
Smeghead4761
WTF does a 10k on Saturday, 5k on Sunday.
FamousAgg
This particular match says 6-8 miles Saturday and 6-8 miles Sunday.
jrb2019
AG
We've got 4 months to get out and run. That's my focus on this one. Got to do a lot of longer runs and build up endurance. Anyone that wants to run some trails and do a little shooting, just let me know and I'm happy to have you out.
The BroManDingo
I'm excited…it's going to be a test for sure. Only my second run and gun but was hooked after the first one. Gives me a goal to work towards which helps me to be consistent in getting in better shape.

Thing is, you don't have to run. You can walk, run, jog, or a combination of all.

I want to win one of these some day. Not at all likely to be this one but I'm going to give it hell. I upped my routine to a run/workout split everyday minus day 7 for rest. Eating like a mad man and still losing weight somehow. Best I've felt in years though.
BenderRodriguez
AG
Glad I didnt sign up for YO.

PT started today for my achilles. They dry needled my calf and achilles and gave me a bunch of exercises to do.

Reevaluating in a month, under orders to not run for at least that month. If it isnt improving, injections or surgery are next.

Anyone know of a combination cycling/shooting event? Gotta dust my bike off for now I guess. I hate biking.
jrb2019
AG
That sucks. Hope it heals up quickly.

Interestingly, it appears tickets are still available for YO. Although only my 3rd one of these, it appears the two day concept (and associated cost) are keeping people away. Will be interesting to see if it eventually sells out.
tk111
AG
jrb2019 said:

That sucks. Hope it heals up quickly.

Interestingly, it appears tickets are still available for YO. Although only my 3rd one of these, it appears the two day concept (and associated cost) are keeping people away. Will be interesting to see if it eventually sells out.
I was just looking at it and thinking the same thing. Lots of extra cost (and fatigue).

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.