Outdoors
Sponsored by

Africa - A Trip to Remember - Part 1.

5,450 Views | 46 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Charismatic Megafauna
Blue Duck
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Discussions and what ifs at a deer camp table can turn into more than talk. In this case ... it became a trip of a lifetime and experiences that'll stick with me till I'm gone. I got the opportunity to go with 4 of my buddies to Africa for my first safari. I say first because after going, I think I'm gonna need to go again. I took way too many pictures so I'll break this out into 2 parts. This one is the first leg of the trip, a photo safari.

Getting to Africa from Texas takes some time, any way you go. We flew from DFW to London to Johannesburg. It was close to 40 hours from the time I arrived at DFW till my head hit a pillow in Africa. Lots of time in the air and lots of time in airport lounges.

The first destination was a pretty cool place. Mashatu Game Reserve in Botswana is worth a trip to Africa by itself. We stayed in the tent camp and I thought it was great. There's something that makes you feel alive when you can hear hyenas outside your tent as you're trying to go to sleep.

You're gonna see some wildlife if you go to Mashatu and you're going to be close when you do. It isn't a zoo by any means, it's just a giant chunk of unspoiled country that has great habitat and unmolested wildlife. We'd take a game drive every morning and every evening. We saw something interesting on every one of them.

The game rangers and game spotters claim that you're safe as long as you're sitting down in the vehicle.

It's tough to take them at their word when you're close enough to see the lion's teeth or make solid eye contact with a big leopard and you remember it's an open air vehicle. These cats are something to see. Killing machines that are built for their environment. You don't want one of these things chasing you.

This particular leopard got my heart racing when it started sprinting towards the Landcruiser. Unbeknownst to me there was some kind of bird in between us that had the leopard feeling frisky. I was glad to see him pull up to a stop before he jumped in with us.

This guy had drug a nice male impala up in a tree. I think he'd have fought the next person who tried to take it from him. I'd bet on the leopard just based on the look in his eyes.

You definitely want to be careful here, you never know what's lurking around the next tree.

We saw plenty of elephants. There was more than once where we found ourselves surrounded by them as they grazed on mopani trees or headed towards water.

Big cats and big elephants were't the only thing we saw. Hyenas, jackals and all the things they eat were present.

Hyenas are one of my favorites. They're clever, they're cunning and they can crush anything but giraffe bones. They're just a tough looking animal.

This tree is old, hundreds of years old.

Even the birds have some crazy bits. Wild colors, big beaks, everything had something different going on.

I didn't know what to make of the baboons. The best I could tell, the locals look at them with some of the same feelings I have for raccoons. They are smart but they can tear some stuff up. This one looked like some kind of wise old baboon that might be featured in a movie about an upstart lion who is trying to rule the kingdom.

I take a lot of pictures so I carry a lot of SD cards when I travel. If I'd have stayed at Mashatu much longer, I think I could have filled all those cards up. It never got old going out and seeing such a diverse group of wildlife in their natural settings. Wild animals doing whatever it is they do.

Time doesn't stand still and after a few days, our Mashatu experience came to an end.

One last picture opportunity popped up as we were headed to the airport. I got a cool shot of some warthogs with our plane making its descent in the background. A fitting end to a good time.

I was sad to leave ... but that sadness was tempered by knowing that the next time I saw some of these animals I'd be shooting with a little more than a camera.

That'll have to be in part 2.

LRHF
AG
Amazing pics as always!!!
Steeltoe05
AG
Yeah, so, that is awesome!!!!
FriscoAggieFan
AG
Wow!!!
aggiesundevil4
AG
Amazing pics !!!! I've done safaris with cameras and safaris with rifles (Namibia and South Africa) and they are both amazing. You are quite the camera pro. I love the kudu pic at the end of your post.
cupofjoe04
AG
Holy smokes, that's awesome!!!
OB Thread of the year candidate right here, ladies and gents!!!
sunchaser
angryocotillo
AG
We want part 2!
O.G.
Great stuff. Thank you for sharing.
Micropterus
AG
Yeah man, we need more stuff like this on the OB. Great post. Keep em coming!
hillcountryag86
AG
Awesome post, OP!

Thank you for sharing. Look forward to Part 2.
Dirty-8-thirty Ag
bdb85
AG
Thank you for sharing. It looks amazing!
hillcountryag86
AG
OP, did you book directly thru Mashatu or use another service?
craig09
AG
Very cool experience. Thanks for sharing, and as always your pictures are next level.
Blue Duck
AG
I didn't handle the booking but I believe it was directly through Mashatu.
Blue Duck
AG
I think it pretty well captures kudu hunting. They're there, you just have to see them.
LongVolatilityAg
AG
Can't wait for part 2. Very cool man! GIGEM
txaggie02
AG
Great pics and awesome trip! A buddy and I leave for Namibia next Saturday. It will be my first African safaris. Can't wait!
Howdy Dammit
AG
Your camera is crazy good.
wildcat08
AG
Awesome shots!
aggiesundevil4
AG
My most recent trip to Namibia for a hunting safari was June of 2021 - if you want some tips on airports, tipping, hunting, taxidermy, Joe's beer house, etc I would be happy to talk to you over the phone any time before you leave. For real. Namibia is one of my most favorite places on earth.
fittybmg
That's really cool!! Thanks for all the pics!
Centerpole90
AG
Solid work amigo.
brownandred
I'd love to take a camera safari like this.
Thanks for sharing.

Blue Duck
AG
You just want the Landcruiser pics!
Centerpole90
AG
Blue Duck said:

You just want the Landcruiser pics!

This is true.

Plus I want to see the boots. I'll push you around the Laguna when you come order.
rock08
AG
Awesome!!
txaggie02
AG
That would be awesome. Hit me up at txaggies02 at Gmail.com when you get a chance.
aggiesundevil4
AG
Email sent!
Blue Duck
AG
I'm jealous. You'll have a blast.
tamc93
AG
Thanks for sharing...headed to part 2.
SanAntoneAg
AG
Great photography and story telling as always!
Gig 'em! '90
AgEng06
AG
Awesome post and pics! Thanks for sharing with us.
lurker76
Thanks for posting all of these fantastic pictures. Your camera work is amazing; I love the depth of field usage that really conveys the subject so well, yet provides some background that gives perspective.
On to Part 2.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.