Outdoors
Sponsored by

Mexico bass fishing- El Salto

3,161 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by The Shank Ag
The Shank Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Made a similar post last April prior to my trip to Lake Picachos and updated afterward.

This year I am headed to El Salto. I very nearly ate the cost and told my group I was staying put (long thread on premium about the birth of my son Jan 2, a surprise down syndrome diagnosis, and a 2.5 week NICU stay) but my saint of a wife told me "If I have to drug you, you are getting on that plane".

We leave out Friday morning and come back Tuesday afternoon. I learned a lot about those Mexican bass last year, but from all the stories I have been told, El Salto is a different animal. Less "video game-like" numbers but still a ton of fish and much more size. The final inventory of gear will happen between diaper changes and feedings tonight, a trip bass pro/academy tuesday night for any missing necessities, and packing wednesday/thursday night. Should be a great trip with a group of amazing brothers in Christ.

Packing/Inventory will be hard as I have no clue what phase of spawn they'll be in. If any of you have knowledge of fishing this time of year down south, let me know what you'd be trying.
roynonroy
Fished Picachos last week. A group came in mid way that had done half Salto and half Picachos. Unfortunately they did not catch many fish. They were saying about 6 per person per day. They were throwing the same stuff we were so the same stuff you used at Picachos should work. Different lakes, but we went through a lot more soft plastics than we anticipated and I ran out with about 30 minutes of fishing left on the last day. Still caught a number of fish on a sexy shad square bill in that time. Not sure who you are using, but the Ron Speed site was spot on on what they were biting on and helped us buy what we needed before hand.

https://www.ronspeedadventures.com/category/elsalto/
The Shank Ag
roynonroy said:

Fished Picachos last week. A group came in mid way that had done half Salto and half Picachos. Unfortunately they did not catch many fish. They were saying about 6 per person per day. They were throwing the same stuff we were so the same stuff you used at Picachos should work. Different lakes, but we went through a lot more soft plastics than we anticipated and I ran out with about 30 minutes of fishing left on the last day. Still caught a number of fish on a sexy shad square bill in that time. Not sure who you are using, but the Ron Speed site was spot on on what they were biting on and helped us buy what we needed before hand.

https://www.ronspeedadventures.com/category/elsalto/
We do Anglers Inn. Most of the group that has been going for close to 20 years have tried Speed twice and not had the same experience as with Anglers Inn.
The Shank Ag
Just got back. Amazing time with an amazing group.

Between the group, there was one 10, five 9s, and a slew of 8s.

Food was great, fishing was great (personally caught 15-25 per day), and fellowship was off the charts.

Will go more in depth after catching up on some zzzzs, but here's a couple pics

giddings_ag_06
AG
Cool
HockeyAg07
AG
Awesome. I'm jealous. We're expecting our third kiddo any day now so I probably won't get to fish the spawn much out in east Tx this spring. I wanna catch a fatty so bad I could poop.

Eta- congrats on the new kiddo. Our oldest has a ridiculously rare genetic disorder that gives her severe intellectual disability, epilepsy, and she's also nonverbal. But damned if she isn't the best thing that ever happened to us. Teach that boy to fish!
The Shank Ag
Had someone ask me for details on such a trip, and after writing TexAgs thought it was too many characters for a private message:

As for the trip, I HIGHLY recommend Anglers Inn. They have locations at El Salto and Picachos. There is another outfitter named Ron Speed Outdoors. While I have never done Speed's group, there are several group of guys I go on the trip with that have. They compare it to getting a steak Chilis vs getting a steak at Del Friscos. Yes, you are paying more for "technically" the same product, but Anglers Inn has better food, better service, and guides that know the lakes like the back of their hand.

As for the lakes....

Picachos is about an hour away from Mazatlan airport. This is the "numbers" lake. We went in April of last year and each person was catching about 100 fish a day. One afternoon our boat didn't go more than 500 yards from the dock and I caught over 80 fish in 5 hours throwing the same lure. For someone that wants to have their rod constantly bending, this is a great place to go. However, the average fish is probably 1.5 lbs. I think in our group of 8 last year that went, only 2 bass over 7 pounds were caught. Some of the group didn't even catch a 5. While super fun in the amount of action, not my end goal when I'm spending the money to go to another country to fish.

El Salto is about 1 hour and 45 minutes away from Mazatlan. This is the "grandes" lake. This is the lake you go to if you are hunting for a personal best. There are several fish over 16 lbs hanging in the lodge office and around the bar area. While it is still possible to have a 100 fish day, you more than likely will catch 20-30 fish a day (typically 10-15 per session). However it is not at all out of the realm of possibility to have your 5 best fish all be over 6 pounds.

With all of these lakes it takes a flight to Mazatlan, typically from either DFW, IAH, or Phoenix. Most of the time it is direct but I have had return flights send me to Phoenix to connect to DFW. When you arrive in Mazatlan (most flights get you there between noon - 1), you will get your bags and through customs (takes at most 15 minutes). There will be a representative from Anglers Inn that will meet you just outside customs. Once your whole group is through customs this representative will take you to a van or bus just outside the main doors and load your gear. There is a cooler in each van or bus filled with water, pacifico (they are proud of this beer in that part of mexico), and soft drinks. You'll ride the hour or hour and 45 minutes depending on lake to your location through a lot of farmland into the sierra madre mountains. Once you arrive, you will be given a plate of nachos and offered a drink while the helpers take your bags to your rooms. I typically grab my nachos, a margarita, and high tail it to my room put reels on rods, and tie on whatever I am planning on throwing as quick as possible.

From there you will head down to the dock and meet your guide. My group already has their "Favorites" so this is determined before we get there. The guide will then take you out until dark, hopefully already catching big ones. Listen to your guides. Many have been guiding and fishing on the lake for decades. They know what the bite is going to be at that point in the year. If you have something you love to throw they aren't recommending, they will tell you to "Check it". You can check it for as long as you like but most the time you'll end up back throwing what they recommend a few casts later. For this past trip, we were recommended to throw Senkos (black and blue had the best bite, I used the Z-Man version that is stretchy and lasts longer as Yamomoto senkos typically last one or two catches) either texas rigged or wacky, big swim baits/swim jigs (money minnows caught several 8s), and big fat squarebills. Some caught fish on lizards as well both texas and carolina rigged.

When you come in at night you will get an appetizer, have drinks, and then dinner. While we were there dinner was ribs, steaks, seafood, and fajitas. Lunch was burgers, chicken, fried fish, and enchiladas.

After dinner you can stay up drinking or talking, go to your room and tie on if you brought your gear off the boat, or just go to sleep.

Wake up call is typically about 5-530 depending on the time of year. They have a full breakfast with juice or coffee, bacon, ham, hash, an eggs how you want it bar that will do omelettes as well, and pancakes, yogurt, fruit, cereal. Guide will typically get you on the water 5 minutes before first light. You'll fish until about 11 when you come in for lunch. Some people choose to take a siesta after lunch but I don't, get too groggy. Back on the water at 1:30 or 2 depending on what you tell the guide. Back in again for dinner at dark.

The trip is usually about $2300 for 4 nights, $2700 for 5 nights. Guide tips are 30/person per day. Service also 30/person per day. There is a massuse that is 65/hour + tip (Highly recommend if your back gets stiff on a boat all day like me). Airfare is usually about 350-450 to mazatlan depending on when you book. Flight is an American Eagle run plane through American Airlines. Small plane, not a ton of ammenities unless first class. Can get wifi over American airspace, lose it over the Rio Grande.

There are other lakes that Angler's Inn doesn't service in the area but the only one worth mentioning in my opinion is Baccarac. It is about a 6 hour drive from mazatlan (or your group splurges and you take a private plane to the airstrip at the lake, about another 600-800 per person depending on group size). Baccarac is also a "grandes" lake. You wont catch near as many fish as picachos, probably less than El Salto, but the hit rate for 10+ pounders is higher. There are a couple outfits running that lake. Apparently the service isn't as crazy outstanding and the lodge isn't as nice, but you will have the highest chance of catching a personal best. I have never done Baccarac but there are talks among the group of going in 2023.
Mark Fairchild
AG
Thanks again, The Shank Ag! Looking to round up some buddies to take a look at this trip.
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
HockeyAg07
AG
Thanks for the info. That's a bucket list kinda trip for me. I'd love to make it a once a decade trip with my brothers when all our kiddos get older and more independent. One day…
B-1 83
AG
A stupid question…….how does one transport your rods, reels, and tackle?
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
The Shank Ag
B-1 83 said:

A stupid question…….how does one transport your rods, reels, and tackle?

1 rod carrier
1 checked bag with tacklebox and all gear with hooks
1 carryon with all soft plastics (to keep checked under 50)
1 backpack with reels, 2 changes of clothes, and phone charger
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.