Outdoors
Sponsored by

6mm Precision Shooters

8,095 Views | 80 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by agracer
cahoots
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I've been learning a lot about all the 6mm cartridges out there for competitive shooters. I'm just interested from a plinking/fun/varmint perspective, but would love to hear about anyone's experience with Dasher, BR Norma, XC, PPC. Creedmoor, etc. Lots of cool, fast cartridges developed.

I'm leaning toward 6mm BR due to its efficiency and slowly building a precision rifle.
jpistolero02
Funny you ask about this. I just built a 6BR. I hope to get out this weekend and do load development and get some rounds down the barrel. I went with an Impact Precision action and then had a gunsmith in Utah spin me up a barrel. The tolerances on the Impact actions are so tight there are a number of people that will send you a prefit barrel. I also looked at the Terminus Zeus action but already had experience with Impact, so I ended up just sticking with them. I will keep you posted on how it goes.
Agshooter05
I shoot both 6BR & BRA for my comp rifles. Ask away and I'll answer anything I can. If you're leaning towards BR you are already going in the right direction. I've never heard of a BR that didn't shoot regardless of gunsmith or build
CactusThomas
AG
6BR is a great choice. There are tons of other good options as well.

I went kinda the other direction and had a 6x45 built. I shoot (mostly) flat base, tangent ogive bullets at 100 and 200 yards. This gives me solid accuracy with minimal case prep, even with range pickup LC and similar brass.

There is no tuning. Seating depth, power choice makes little difference. If I were to do some brass prep and play with seating depth I'm sure I could squeeze more accuracy out of it but I haven't found the need. I won't win any sanctioned VFS matches but I still get groups I'm more than happy with.

Impact action
Bartlien barrel
Foundation stock

jpistolero02
Cactus,

Who do you have spinning your barrels?
CactusThomas
AG
This one was Redbeard Gun Works in Portland TX
javajaws
AG
A lot of the top actions are precise enough in their machining to allow pre-fit barrels to be made. Impact, Defiance, Bighorn, etc. Proof Research makes stock pre-fit barrels for all of those in multiple calibers.

https://www.altusshooting.com/collections/precision-rifle-components/pre-fit-barrels

You can also get something a little more custom made, but still without having to ship off your action through Straight Jacket Armory (among others): https://straightjacketarmory.com/product-category/pre-fit-barrels/

+1 on Impact 737r!
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin
Agshooter05
I shoot with Ryan Hundl (one of the owners). They are a great group of guys
meggy09
AG
GT is supposed to be the new hotness
CactusThomas
AG

jpistolero02
Nice! Put a pig down.
VegasAg98
AG
I'm going with the good ol' 6 ARC bc I don't handoad.

But I love the 6.5 and 6mms. Threads like this are pushing me over the edge on handloading.

This stuff is just too cool.
CactusThomas
AG
Got a couple does
cahoots
Tons of great info all. I need to shell out some monies to play right it sounds like.

Vegas, you're the perfect candidate to get into handloading. Do it. Super fun hobby. You won't regret it.
jpistolero02
Agshooter,

Are you running Varget in your 6BR? I plan on running Berger 105's.
Agshooter05
Yes I am. I'm trying to substitute N150 as Varget becomes harder to find but Varget is still the gold standard
JeremiahJohnson
AG
I have been thinking about going down this road.

I have built a 308 AR-10 and had a 6.5PRC built in the past couple years.

Tempted to selling my AR10 to build a 6mm bolt action for long range shooting and coyotes. My 6.5 PRC is probably in that void. I keep second guessing myself I do not need a 6mm since I am already invested in the PRC. I am just now getting into reloading, so the doors are starting to open for these obscure cartridges.
jpistolero02
Jeremiah,

I think you would be well served if you want to get into it. The PRC is almost a heavy banger compared to the 6 stuff. You can really reach out and touch something with the PRC and then you can have a little more mild fun with the 6. With component shortages, I have really grown to love these mild cartridges with high BC's.
JeremiahJohnson
AG
Thanks for the tip. I am not in love with the .308 so I think trading that for something in 6mm would be a decent choice.

My uncle shoots 6mmBRA 1000+ BenchRest tournaments out of Idaho. He first peaked my interest on the caliber. But you don't know what you don't know. I am just now learning reloading. These options weren't open before then. I built the 308 because it was easy to find ammo. Maybe rebarrelling my AR10 to a 6mm could be a fun compromise.

My PRC is my deer rifle and is geared more towards mountain hunting.

cahoots
Is 6mm Creedmoor on the outs with competition shooters? It seemed it was really popular not too long ago.
Agshooter05
Yeah pretty well. Barrel life was the main issue but most comp shooters are hand loaders so quality factory ammo which was a big draw for 6 CM isn't as big of a deal. Other then that BR's tend to be superior in the comp world due to recoil management & tune ability.
X-at-10
I have for sale a handy little 6 PPC sporter. It's an Interarms Mark X Mini Mauser with die set and brass. I'd have to dig it out of the back of the safe, but I believe the barrel is a Shilen and it has been pillar bedded, glassed, and floated. I've owned it for 10 years and never really shot it much. I found some Euber 68 grain match bullets for it when I first got it and seated them over 26.0 grains of Varget and five rounds went into 1.5" at 200 yards. I probably still have the Eubers around here somewhere. B/CS area, trades carefully considered.
NRA Life.
Walk softly, but carry..
tcc66
AG
I bought a Ruger American Predator in 6mm Creedmoor. It's 1 in 7.7" twist and the thing has literally shot everything I've loaded for it extremely well. The best groups have been low .2's with a 14x scope. I've shot H4350, Varget, RL16 and RL26. It's the cheapest gun I own and one of the most accurate.

I've harvested 80+ animals with it on our MLD permit. My primary hunting rounds are 85gr TSX's and 95gr SST's. With a suppressor you can see point of impact in the scope and it's a real pleasure to shoot. I put a Boyd laminated stock on it and replaced the factory bolt handle because I thought both were ugly/cheap. The stock upgrade did not improve accuracy.

Ballistically it's almost identical to a 243 but offered in fast twist barrels for heavier bullets. The 243 was always labeled a kid's gun but it's far more than that. 3300 fps, 85gr Barnes bullets are savage!
jpistolero02
Load development is going well so far. Two shots to get sighted in and then these are the first two 5 shot groups out of the rifle. I am confident with once fired brass and less mirage, these will look even better next time out.

jpistolero02
I still have a little work to do, but overall very happy with the rifle. I will run it out further next time. Today was just trying to get a few rounds down the barrel and get some numbers. This was from 410 yards and the furthest I shot. Mirage was horrible but overall not bad.

JeremiahJohnson
AG
As far as the 6mm Cartridges go. What made y'all choose the BR over the BRA, Dasher, BRX, or the new GT? I had been leaning towards the Dasher.
highvelocity
AG
I like that sling though
Owner of Texas Strap Company use code TEXAGS for 15% off
www.txstrapco.com

Sales Director for BCA Firearms
www.bcafirearmstx.com
jpistolero02
I didn't want to mess around forming brass. I could just load some Lapua brass and go. I also wasn't chasing speed, so I just stuck with the original.
CactusThomas
AG
Good shooting!
It's fun when things work as expected
Agshooter05
I shoot the BRA. Gives you a little more room without hitting pressure while maintaining the longer neck to get you longer barrel life. Kind of the best of both worlds. I also think it feeds just a little better than the straight BR
cahoots
Is fire forming the same as the LA Ackleys? I have a 25-06 ackley and 280AI
Agshooter05
Yes it's super easy as you can just shoot regular BR loads. You don't have to use reduced loads like you do with dasher. I have shot one day matches fire forming brass with no problems. The only knock on a BRA is you don't have as large of a selection on dies. I use SAC dies which are by far my favorite but are crazy expensive
robstrom
AG
I built a 6cm ar10 a few years back now. I don't do any kind of competitive shooting with it but I have fun plinking around and hunting with it.
Tx95Ag
AG
Love your setup. I recently built a 6x45 AR, from a barrel I got from someone here, that I love to shoot. It's such a breeze to load for and there are so many great 6mm projectiles available. Would love to have one in a bolt gun.
JeremiahJohnson
AG
Why is it every time I start thinking about building or buying something there is an OB thread immediately there to confirm my wants? It's like this entire forum is in sync. My wallet hates you guys.

Question on the fire forming brass. Does no one make BRA brass? I am seeing BR and Dasher brass readily available. I am a novice reloader so the idea of fire forming scares me. Forgive my ignorance.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.