Outdoors
Sponsored by

Enterprise Cast Iron Sausage Stuffer - Cleaning Inside

1,942 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by C@LAg
Bonfire97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I bought an 8qt sausage stuffer recently. It's in good shape except for a little rust and old paint on the inside. Somebody probably painted the whole thing and used it as a decorative item at some point.

I need to get the inside back to bare metal so I can use it. I tried 220grit sandpaper and that works relatively well, but it is slow going. I was trying to avoid getting too aggressive with it because I didn't want to start taking off metal and un-truing the bore. What could I use to help with the process? Will those "strip disks" take off metal? Thought about a wire wheel as well, but didn't use it thinking it might score it. Thanks in advance.
TdoubleH
AG
Drimel?
spaceag07
AG
Harbor freight sandblaster and some fine or med grit coal slag from Tractor Supply. Find a low spot in the yard and blast away. Worked really well when I restored an old cast iron lathe, some rusted cast iron skillets, etc
Bonfire97
AG
Thanks for the info. Which sandblaster outfit did you get from HF?
FIDO 96
AG
Citrus based paint remover?
spaceag07
AG
https://www.harborfreight.com/air-tools-compressors/air-tools/blasting-cleaning/portable-abrasive-blaster-kit-37025.html
schmellba99
AG
Drill with paint removing disk and/or wire wheel

Or sandblaster with fine grit blasting media like walnut hulls.
Bonfire97
AG
Thanks for the info.
C@LAg
wrap sandpaper around your &$^#@ and go to town?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.