Outdoors
Sponsored by

Can a Yamaha TRP lower unit be rebuilt?

6,486 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Gunny456
Aggieangler93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Has anyone had one rebuilt and then got more than a few years out of it? Somehow, within 20 hours of our last annual maintenance, we had zero lower unit oil, and 2 drops of salt water in it. Needless to say, our TRP lower unit is now rusted all to hell on the inside.

Has anyone had any success with having one rebuilt? This is on an older hull, so we will probably just get a reman single prop lower to put back on it until Spring, and sell the boat. It's a 98 150 Vmax, that has been one helluva motor, but we have to let it go eventually? Maybe Gunny knows?

ETA...we are probably going to sell this hull after the new lower unit. We were thinking of a newer sled in 2022 or 2023 anyway, but man....this is a horrible time to be buying.
Michael Shumard
I got a few years, 5 out of a rebuild. Sonnys marine in POC rebuilds them, though they didn't do mine.

The big part is, how rusted is it around where it seams?

This is mine when we decided it was kapoot
Aggieangler93
AG
Sonny's basically told us it was a goner and not worth the effort with so much corrosion. And I do trust them. Man....what I wouldn't give for some type of oil monitor sensor in a lower unit after this experience. Very costly happening with no real logical reason for it.

I can for damn sure say that Coastal bend marine in POC will never get another service dollar from me.

Anyone need a good deal on TRP props?
RethinkTheWeekend
AG
I always had very good experiences with Sonny's in POC going back 10 years. One of the few boat repair shops I trust (as much as you can trust a boat repair spot)
Aggieangler93
AG
RethinkTheWeekend said:

I always had very good experiences with Sonny's in POC going back 10 years. One of the few boat repair shops I trust (as much as you can trust a boat repair spot)
Thanks for this note. We used to fish Aransas a lot and Chris' marine over there were fabulous to deal with. They really shine when it comes to customer service. When we started fishing more in POC, and keeping our boat there, we needed an option there. Unfortunately, we picked wrong initially by going with CB. Now that we have found some honest folks at Sonny's, we will continue using them in the future.
RethinkTheWeekend
AG
I haven't kept a boat in POC in a few years but when I used to (3-4 years back) I kept the boat in a sling over the water and Sonnys would either:
A) work on the boat in the sling
And/or
B) Pull the boat out themselves and work on it at their shop and return it to the sling
Aggieangler93
Gunny456
AG
Yamaha still builds the TRP lower units as complete last I checked. Check with Premier Yamaha in Port A.
Gunny456
AG
I will call my buddies at Yamaha tech and find out some options for you.
Gunny456
AG
I just talked to one of Yamaha Service Techs.
Yamaha still makes the TRP lower unit. They are still very popular. He thinks Premier Yamaha at Port A or Corpus store has one in stock. They sell quite a few of them.
Hope this helps..
I would get the new one and carry on.
smstork1007
AG
what pitch on the TRP props? Condition?
Aggieangler93
AG
smstork1007 said:

what pitch on the TRP props? Condition?
I think they are 19s, and I think at least one of them needs some work. I am not far from Nettles and could have them rework them.
Aggieangler93
AG
Gunny456 said:

I just talked to one of Yamaha Service Techs.
Yamaha still makes the TRP lower unit. They are still very popular. He thinks Premier Yamaha at Port A or Corpus store has one in stock. They sell quite a few of them.
Hope this helps..
I would get the new one and carry on.
Thanks Gunny. I think the issue we are seeing is that a new TRP lower unit it likely gonna run about $5000. for this boat being so old, I don't think we want to put that much into it. I guess we will just go with a single prop lower unit on it for now. May end up selling it soon anyway. My buddy owns it, so it's his call really.
AgsMnn
AG
What type of boat?
sunchaser
AG
We had one of the last TRP's on our Shallow Sport. I am amazed that they haven't come back out with them.. The slip on one side of me replaced the lower unit on his 325(I think) with the twin prop as well as the guy on the other side on a newer 150. Island Marine(now Fox ) in Port A has replaced a lot of lower units with them.

I was having some work done on our offshore boats a couple of years ago. I saw this one at Fox Yachts. First one I had seen on more than 150hp.

smstork1007
AG
What do you want for them as is? You can DM me or post it here for more eyeballs to see.
smstork1007
AG
I've got one on a 250 SHO.
Aggieangler93
AG
I'll ask my buddy what he wants for em.
Aggieangler93
AG
AgsMnn said:

What type of boat?
It's a 98 Bay Stealth 2180. It would be great for Galveston area but the area we fish needs something much much shallower. Hull is in good shape and has safe floor on all walking surfaces (which I highly recommend). Has a leaning post with storage and a nice wading ladder and 24v trolling motor. Not much frills otherwise but it got the job done for lots of years! Also has 1 year old Coastline tandem axle trailer on it.
TH36
There's a used one for sale on 2cool right now that fits a 200-250 SHO. I know it won't do you any good Angler since your motor is older but just in case anyone else is looking.

In reply to the other guy, I'm pretty sure TRP's are still being built? I've got a buddy who just bought a 2019 Illusion and there's one on it. Did they quit making them in the last 3 years or something?
Aggieangler93
AG
They are still making TRP lower units new at Yamaha. You can't technically buy a TRP motor from Yamaha from what I understand, but the TRP lower unit can be swapped on at some dealers for around $5000 for the part. I think engines from 150-300 will take them.
Gunny456
AG
That is correct.
Gunny456
AG
Your welcome. Good luck. Tight lines.
sunchaser
AG
I believe the decision to drop the TRP was around 2005. From memory Yamaha didn't feel comfortable putting them on bigger engines that were the choice of bass boats.

I don't think Yamaha had a clue as to improvement it made on a flats boat nor did a lot of owners of flats boats.

The Sportsman in San Benito did. They ordered something like 50 engines. We sold our 2nd Shallow Sport in the early part of 2017 and bought another Shallow Sport to get one of the last TRP's they had.

Looks like Yamaha came out way ahead. They get to sell an engine with two lower units and three props.
ghollow
AG
Check out ebay. Lots of used and rebuilt Yamaha lower units.
So the greatest civilization is one where all citizens are equally armed and can only be persuaded, never forced. It removes force from the equation... and that's why carrying a gun is a civilized act.
Gunny456
AG
They were initially designed for the flats market. We sold some on our bass boats but they were only offered as 150 HP. Then they started putting the lower units on some 200HP.
The TRPs on the bass boats were cool and worked well but they don't do well bumping off timber or stumps so they died off in the bass boat market.
Yamaha initially tested them on tunnel hills and pocket tunnel hull designs. They are very efficient and a 150HP TRP can give speed and performance like a 200HP standard lower unit.
Couple it with a hydraulic jack plate and you have a shallow water machine.
Downside is if you hit anything substantial you destroy two props instead of one.
Mercury and Volvo built/build out drives with dual props as well.
Aggieangler93
AG
I have 2 or 3 friends also with TRPs. You put one on an already skinny boat, with the right tunnel and low water pickups and it is amazing to behold where it can go.
Gunny456
AG
Roger that!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.