Outdoors
Sponsored by

Venison Backstrap Recipe

3,170 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by HTownAg98
SouthernRaisedYankee
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Howdy!

I'm cooking venison backstrap for the first time. My options are charcoal grill or oven for a reverse sear. Hit me with your best recipes and tips if you will be so kind!

Thanks and Gig'Em!
swampstander
AG
Pound it, dredge it, drop it in hot grease. Good every time.
swampstander
AG
Alternatively, pound, grill med rare with salt and pepper.

Sometimes I pound, marinate with:1/3 BBQ,1/3 Italian dressing, 1/3 Cola. Then grill med rare.
Texas Yarddog
AG
+1 for flour or chicken fried

Here is one that is also a goto for me for quick prep

Smothered Venison

1# venison steak tenderized
Garlic salt, onion powder & black pepper to
cover
22.6oz can of cond. mushroom soup
2 cups beef broth

Saute steak on bottom of cooker
Add broth & mushroom soup
Pressure cook 27min
Depressirize naturally

Thicken sauce with corn starch or flour (rarely needed, though)

Serve over rice or egg noodles

Also works with wild hog backstrap
96ags
AG
SouthernRaisedYankee said:

Howdy!

I'm cooking venison backstrap for the first time. My options are charcoal grill or oven for a reverse sear. Hit me with your best recipes and tips if you will be so kind!

Thanks and Gig'Em!
Best tip is to not overcook it. That's about the only way to screw up backstrap.
MrWonderful
AG
I got with one of two recipes depending on what I'm feeling like.

1. Saut in butter with garlic salt
2. Salt and pepper and light drizzle of olive oil, then grill med-rare
SA_Ag93
AG
Thick butterfly, salt, pepper, garlic, grill to med rare
combat wombat™
AG
I've marinated it in a simple teriyaki sauce/soy sauce blend, grilled the whole thing to medium-rare, and then sliced it into medallions. Works best with a smallish deer, I tried it with a bigger backstrap and it was a little tougher than I would have liked, but it was still good.
5StarShield
AG
I've made the smoked and then pan seared one several time and the kids love it.

Post your best smoked venison backstrap recipe | TexAgs
HTownAg98
I do this one all the time and it's a hit. The ingredients may seem weird, but it all works together.
https://www.bostonmagazine.com/restaurants/2017/07/25/jacques-pepin-venison-steaks-recipe/
Another one I do is to reverse sear it to the rare side of medium rare, and then make a board sauce with parsley, thyme, olive oil, smoked paprika, very finely minced shallot, and salt and pepper. Place the hot steaks on the sauce, and that will very lightly cook the herbs and wake up the spices. Slice 1/2" thin, and our the sauce and accumulated juices over the slices. Serve it up.
JD05AG
JD05AG
AG
https://jesspryles.com/venison-backstrap-with-blackberry-sauce/
AgySkeet06
AG
My BIL makes a pretty good grilled venison backstrap steak.

He cuts the backstrap into 1" thick cuts/medallions then spreads mustard on both side, not a thick layer but solid coverage then coats with a basic Salt/Pepper/Garlic/Onion steak seasoning. Sears for 3-4 minutes on high heat on the gas grill then lets them sit resting for 4-5 minutes tented in foil.
Granted he shoots deer in NE Louisiana but those steaks come out great
swampstander
AG
Used to be a good stuffed backstrap recipe from Sean98 (I think) on here. My search prowess is very low today or I would link it. I have not made it in several years but it was good. Maybe some old timers are better at dredging it up.
Skillet Shot
We typically just season salt and pepper, sear whole backstrap to medium rare, let rest and then slice against the grain.

This year I'm going to try doing a backstrap philly cheese steak on the blackstone. Thinly sliced venison, onions, mushrooms, peppers, butter and topped with provolone.

aggieland09
AG
Skillet Shot said:

We typically just season salt and pepper, sear whole backstrap to medium rare, let rest and then slice against the grain.

If its your first time then do what this guy said. My family always cooks it this way on a charcoal grill. Keep it simple. Good luck.
tandy miller
AG
JD05AG said:

https://jesspryles.com/venison-backstrap-with-blackberry-sauce/

That looks amazing
FJB
strider98
Rehfleisch mit geholbeten Mandeln

Forgive the misspelling above, and I am doing this from a recipe I have only made twice in 30 years, going back to high school.

Medallions work best, but basically it's like a chicken fried deer but with sliced almonds.

Whisk a couple eggs, mix flour with some sliced almonds, salt, pepper, and paprika or some Tony Chachere's if you prefer, dredge and batter/almond the meat, then fry over medium heat.

I tried it once with almond flour, and that was not a good idea.
swampstander
AG
swampstander said:

Used to be a good stuffed backstrap recipe from Sean98 (I think) on here. My search prowess is very low today or I would link it. I have not made it in several years but it was good. Maybe some old timers are better at dredging it up.
Found it. Post #12 in THIS thread.
dr_boogs
AG
What's the difference between a board and pan sauce? Your recipes are always great. Thanks for sharing.

Any measurements for the board sauce or just combine those spices to your preferred taste?
AgsMnn
AG
Texas Yarddog said:

+1 for flour or chicken fried

Here is one that is also a goto for me for quick prep

Smothered Venison

1# venison steak tenderized
Garlic salt, onion powder & black pepper to
cover
22.6oz can of cond. mushroom soup
2 cups beef broth

Saute steak on bottom of cooker
Add broth & mushroom soup
Pressure cook 27min
Depressirize naturally

Thicken sauce with corn starch or flour (rarely needed, though)

Serve over rice or egg noodles

Also works with wild hog backstrap

Did something similar last night, but I used a packet of Lipton Onion soup mix with the small can of cream of mushroom and beef broth. Kids love it.
OnlyForNow
AG
Chicken frying it is a sure fire way to overcook it as well...
AsburyAg
AG
1) Take cutlets & pound with a mallet and soak all day in buttermilk.
2) Drain in a colander & dredge in Italian Bread crumbs that have a couple TBL of powdered garlic mixed in with it.
3) Saut in a skillet using butter and olive oil (just cover the bottom of the pan adding oil as the batches finish.) Do not overcook. They should be slightly pink on the inside.
4) Pull out of oil/butter and drain on paper towel.
5) Brown a can of sliced mushrooms and 3 TBL capers in the butter and olive oil mixture while using a spatula to scrape all the browned breadcrumbs etc. off the bottom of the skillet. Take a cup of cooking wine mixed with a 1 & tsp of corn starch. (Marsala wine works best, but sherry will do.) and pour into the sauted mushroom/caper/scrapings mixture.
6) Put the deer meat back in the sauce and finish it off for a minute or so while spooning the sauce over it and stirring is all up. (Don't overcook.) Serve over angel hair pasta.

Wine suggestions:
Pepperwood Grove or Smoking Loon Syrah (Shiraz)
Ravenwood Red Zinfandel
HTownAg98
dr_boogs said:

What's the difference between a board and pan sauce? Your recipes are always great. Thanks for sharing.

Any measurements for the board sauce or just combine those spices to your preferred taste?
Pan sauce is a sauce that is cooked in the pan the meat was cooked in. It usually starts with some type of alium, then wine that is reduced, stock is added and reduced, then any seasonings or garnishes are added.
A board sauce is a raw (or very lightly cooked sauce just from the heat of the meat) that is made on a cutting board. It more resembles an Italian salsa verde or a chimichurri. I take this recipe and adapt it. Something that could be fun to add is a light splash of a London Dry gin to add that hint of juniper that goes well with venison. I don't measure anything for this.
https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/other-fun-sauce-recipes/board-sauce-recipe-adam-perry-lang/
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.