Outdoors
Sponsored by

Dirt Mound Showing Up Overnight

4,483 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by maroon barchetta
Chipotlemonger
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
There's a spot next to the patio where a dirt mound shows up overnight from time to time. Hard to tell what it is even after kicking it around and fixing the spot again. Figured the OB would know what kind of nocturnal animal is doing this!

Background, it's a gravel patch with a fence and a field on the other side of the fence.

hellapark
AG
Gopher
Ag2thdr
AG
or a mole
cupofjoe04
AG
lexofer
AG
Pocket Gopher most likely. I've gotten pretty good at trapping them. Find their most recent mound, get a probe, I use a 1/4" metal rod, and start poking the ground 12"-18" away from it feeling for a void about 8-10" down. If there is another mound a tunnel probably goes toward it. Once you find the tunnel, take a shovel, preferably a drain spade, and dig down. With the drain spade I can take a 10" diameter plug out in once piece. Stick your traps in the tunnel on each side of the hole. I use these: https://www.traplineproducts.com/product-page/gophinator-gopher-trap-2-pack

Drop the plug back in the hole. You want to block off the tunnel so they go back to dig it out. Also make sure the plug fills the hole, no light going in. They're most active in the afternoon and at nights. I find if I set the trap in the morning, 80%+ of the time I have a dead gopher that evening. The mounds you see are where they shove the dirt out of their tunnels they dig to the surface. They plug these tunnels once they're done so if you probe too close to them you probably won't find a void.

Thisguy1
Manbearpig
SW-14
AG
That sounds like a lot of work to trap one gopher.
pilgrim82
AG
Where ya at, CM? I got three doxies....they'll tear the crap out of that section of your yard, and there will be greasy, grimy gopher guts here and there, but they WILL get that gopher! And the left-behind carnage scent will deter any future interloping gophers from thinking twice about invading your yard.
lexofer
AG
Yeah I kill the gophers not because of the mounds they make but because of the damage my dogs do trying to dig them up. It's 1000x worse than the gopher holes.

It only sounds like a lot of work when you detail it out like that. I poke around, lift out a plug of dirt, place traps, put plug back in. Maybe 2 minutes total once you figure out the best places to find the tunnels.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Thanks for the input y'all. Love the Caddyshack gif usage! Pilgrim, I am a bit aways from TX. My dog doesn't seem to go after this rodent the same way it sounds like yours do!
aggiedent
AG
Thankfully my dogs are as lazy as me.

We're all too busy drinking a beer to worry about silly gophers.
denied
We tried traps and smoke bombs but neither seemed to work. We eventually went the sonic route and they disappeared. Just once you do push them out, if they ever turn back up on the periphery be sure and check the batteries soon. If they get back well inside of the cone you are basically back to 0 on the amount of time it will take to push them out again.
pilgrim82
AG
No worries, gents! Fortunately, the bastages only come up on the periphery of my yard, so the trenching my gals do is easily repaired and not so much of an eyesore. Besides, the exercise keeps the weeners young and svelte.
Ag 11
AG
maroon barchetta
Do gophers usually work alone or should I reset my Gopher Hawks for additional members of their pack/pride/sounder/mafia?

Na Zdraví 87
AG
The Gopher Hawk works great!
Die Hard Ag
AG
Rockport, TX - Just ordered 4 Gopher Hawks last week. 4 deaths to date. Outside of golf and fishing, killing pocket gophers is my new favorite thing.
maroon barchetta
I have a trap that sprung that I saw just before dark last night. Was getting ready to leave the house.

I went to go pull it up and it's stuck. Must be a big one blocking the hole. I'll have to dig it up today.
Oyster DuPree
AG
maroon barchetta said:

I have a trap that sprung that I saw just before dark last night. Was getting ready to leave the house.

I went to go pull it up and it's stuck. Must be a big one blocking the hole. I'll have to dig it up today.

Sounds like dinner is taken care of
maroon barchetta
Oyster DuPree said:

maroon barchetta said:

How to prepare?

Kabobs??
jp95
AG
Gopher, Everett?
HalifaxAg
AG
How exactly are you going to mount that thing?
AlaskanAg99
AG
maroon barchetta said:

Oyster DuPree said:

maroon barchetta said:

How to prepare?

Kabobs??
Boudin
maroon barchetta
HalifaxAg said:

How exactly are going to mount that thing?

European.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.