Outdoors
Sponsored by

Fawn with hurt jaw

5,170 Views | 50 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Capt. Augustus McCrae
Howdy Dammit
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We've got a little fawn at our house with a hurt jaw. Not sure if it's broken, but there is a noticeable swollen ball on one side. She can't eat. Been going on for a few days and she is skin and bones. Wife and I have been trying to feed her pureed veggies, but no go. She will only try to eat corn. It's to the point where she is attacking the trash can on our back porch where we feed them every night. After multiple hits she gets tired and has to lay down for awhile before she can try again. Game warden won't pick her up. Anything we can do to help, or anyone know what's wrong with jaw?

Post removed:
by user
TikkaShooter
Could be swollen from a snake bite or an injury. I've seen it go away and the deer grow to be healthy. And I've seen it kill em.

They are, after all, wild animals.

Also, that's not "skin and bones". That's a typical hill country deer who remain that skinny through their entire life mostly bc of folks who feed them, encourage populations that become over populations.

Just saying
Howdy Dammit
AG
She's skin and bones... I see her sister every evening and multiple other fawns. They are are healthy and this one can barely stand from malnutrition. Thanks for the first half of your reply though.
FSGuide
Looks like an abscess. Catch it and lance it.
swampstander
AG
FSGuide said:

Looks like an abscess. Catch it and lance it....
then post video.
Howdy Dammit
AG
FSGuide said:

Looks like an abscess. Catch it and lance it.

Would definitely have to do that when my wife isn't home
jswags
AG
There's a fawn in that photo?
Max06
AG
Fusobacterium / lumpy jaw
Log
AG
Google "Deer Roping" and report back with your results
SockDePot
In comparison to the white tail in the background, I would say this is an axis due to the spots.

There is no season on exotics, hth.
FSGuide
SockDePot said:

In comparison to the white tail in the background, I would say this is an axis due to the spots.

Well one is an adult and one is only a few months old. Both white tails for sure.
Howdy Dammit
AG
Max06 said:

Fusobacterium / lumpy jaw

This appears to be it. Doesn't look like there's anything we can do to help her. Interesting read though. Thank you.
Gilligan
AG
I think nature is just going to have to take it's course.

SockDePot
FSGuide said:

SockDePot said:

Well one is an adult and one is only a few months old. Both white tails for sure.

schmellba99
AG
Who cares about the fawn? Keep an eye on that buck....
Howdy Dammit
AG
schmellba99 said:

No kidding. This will be my first deer season since moving to "pet" deer country. We will see how much it has softened me so far.
DriftwoodAg
AG
Looks like a mouthful of chewing tobacco
AnScAggie
AG
Howdy Dammit said:

schmellba99 said:

No kidding. This will be my first deer season since moving to "pet" deer country. We will see how much it has softened me so far.
I'm not sure where you live, where we live you can hunt deer with a hammer. Give it a few years and you'll be begging visitors to take a few with them every time they leave, or hoping for a mountain lion/coyote infestation.
Tree Hugger
AG
Maybe try mashing some corn into a sort of gruel to see if it will eat something soft but has the taste it wants?
Doc Hayworth
SockDePot said:

The mind is a turrible thing.
Dr. Pete
Friend had a number of these at their ranch. Brought me one to necropsy. Certainly could be other things but what I found in this particle individual was some spear grass awns that had migrated through a salivary duct and had impacted. Was not a health issue at all.
mandevilleag
Tree Hugger said:

Maybe try mashing some corn into a sort of gruel to see if it will eat something soft but has the taste it wants?
This. See if you can fatten it up. Use the hammer and report back on the "What's on the pit" thread.
Howdy Dammit
AG
Hasn't done much of anything all day. Been laying here by the porch for hours. Going to try to wrangle her to the wildlife refuge tomorrow. Should make a fun video.

Ag 11
AG
DriftwoodAg said:

Looks like a mouthful of chewing tobacco

Milwaukees Best Light
AG
You have a very nice looking lawn. I am jealous.
MrWonderful
AG
Nature is a cruel *****. You said you tried pureed vegetables, what kind? I'm sitting here thinking about what deer like to eat in the wild that would be edible for a fawn / yearling with a sore mouth. You tried smashing up an apple / applesauce? How about something peanut based or tomatoes?

Google also says fawns will eat bananas. Might be worth a shot to get it some calories.

Also, corn is basically nutritionally worthless to deer. If you want to feed them, maybe switch to protein or soybeans? Then you would actually be helping them out to some degree. Just a thought. I'm not dogging you for it at all

Gunny456
AG
I would reach out to TPWD again. They could get the biologist to hit her with a dart full of antibiotics Our biologist did that on our ranch more than once.
Don't feed it corn. Whitetails should not be fed corn in this heat. It does much more harm than good.
You are doing good calling the rehab. Most of the time TPWD works with them. Very surprised your warden would not offer assistance.
Gunny456
AG
This on feeding corn in hot months. Does more harm than good but everybody is filling their feeders with corn.....
giddings_ag_06
AG
This thread is no bueno. Wild deer. Leave it alone. Domesticating wild animals is never good.

Throwing out a handful of corn is one thing. Straight up being their food source is totally different.
Howdy Dammit
AG
giddings_ag_06 said:

This thread is no bueno. Wild deer. Leave it alone. Domesticating wild animals is never good.

Throwing out a handful of corn is one thing. Straight up being their food source is totally different.

Domesticating wild animals gave you your pup. Wouldn't bash it too much
Howdy Dammit
AG
MrWonderful said:

Also, corn is basically nutritionally worthless to deer. If you want to feed them, maybe switch to protein or soybeans? Then you would actually be helping them out to some degree. Just a thought. I'm not dogging you for it at all

Luckily we have rich neighbors that provide the nutritional antlermax. We just throw a handful of corn out for our nightly viewing pleasure.
O.G.
I'd say, give this one to the Good Lord. It is nature and nature can be cruel. You are doing no one a favor by prolonging it.
Stan Parmlee
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.