Outdoors
Sponsored by

What's your favorite breed of cattle?

7,908 Views | 98 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by hillcountryag86
ratfacemcdougal
How long do you want to ignore this user?
hillcountryag86 said:

I actually have three bulls that are considered trophies and have standing offers from a few folks for a hunt. Certainly would not be much of a hunt. I cube them every day and they are very used to humans. You could stand 10 feet away and shoot, which is what what we did when we processed the three.

They are an interesting animal. Very, very protective of each other. Had a bottle baby last month. When we went in the pasture to grab the calf, the herd was very docile, just grazing away. The instant we grabbed the calf, the entire herd came over to protect the little one. They did not like us messing with one of their own.

When we shot the three, each time one went down, the rest became aggressive, surrounded the downed animal and it took some effort to get in and grab the dead one to field dress.

They really are an amazing animal and very interesting to observe.
Is that your herd on hwy 21around Manheim ?
highvelocity
AG
rare - medium rare
Owner of Texas Strap Company use code TEXAGS for 15% off
www.txstrapco.com

Sales Director for BCA Firearms
www.bcafirearmstx.com
hillcountryag86
AG
No sir. I'm in Bandera.
Spoony Love
AG
These are my all time favorite and would be raising these if we had a larger tract. As it stands though, we raise Dexter cattle. Small frame, big taste.
Dirty-8-thirty Ag
AG
I'm partial to a black baldy calf. A good angus bull on some nicer Hereford cows makes for a great calf.

When I worked the Mid-Tex sale barn in Navasota, I was around quite a few of the belted Galloway cows & calves. They looked cute on the trailer but they came off that sucker looking for a fight. I got mashed up against a pipe fence more than I ever cared to. Had no clue how hot blooded they actually are.
AnScAggie
AG
Cows would be F1's
Bulls would be Charolais, Angus or Brangus
SquirrellyDan
AG
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
The kind that go to Bovine University and then turn into delicious steaks.
reproag
AG

My own lol
KatyAg01
AG
Howdy Dammit said:

That's a bad mofo. He's done time, has the ankle bracelet to prove it.
wadd96
AG
Brangus. Been running them for years.
All the God's, all the Heavens, all the Hells are within you.
ldg397
AG
Black angus or a little mix of Hereford for a black white face. Because the black ones bring more at the sale barn.
AggieGunslinger
AG
Right after college I briefly worked for a group raising them to sell to commercially. The neighbors had some ****ty dogs that made the mistake of harassing/attacking some of the calves... those bison never forgot and did their level best to kill every one of those dogs that were stupid enough to come back in the pasture. I was there the day the smoked the pack leader, gored him and them stomped it to death and it was a team effort.
BurnetAggie99
We been a working cattle ranch going back to my grandfather raising commercial and show cattle. Long line of tradition of showing show cattle. My grandfather was a Angus and Maine Anjou guy. My Dad is a Charolais guy. Myself always been a fan of Limmy's. That said we have some purebred Angus, Maines, Charolais, Limmy's & Gerts. Then have some cross cattle Maine/Angus, Maine/Charolais/Maine/Limmy, Gert/Maine/Charolais, Shorthorn/Charolais.

jtp01
AG
My favorite is the easy keepers who calve every year like clockwork without needing help.

We have 85-90% angus cross cattle. We give first timers a pass if they lose a calf. Lose a 2nd and they are on the truck. Life is too short to fall in love with cows. If they aren't producing, they are only costing me money!
hillcountryag86
AG
Very good looking animals, Burnet.
BurnetAggie99
hillcountryag86 said:

Much appreciated a lot of work goes into with the flushing, embryo's, putting embryo's in resips and so forth but worth raising your own show cattle versus having to go buy them. We been blessed to do well showing winning ever year, we enjoy it and all the hard work that goes into it. Kids will have money to pay for their college off the winnings each year.
Old RV Ag
AG
hillcountryag86 said:

Yep, Burnet sure knows what he's doing with show cattle
Apache
AG
How much of a pain are they? Jumping fences, tearing stuff up etc?

I've heard horror stories about bison, but maybe they weren't handled enough. I've seen a Brahma cow toss a man 6', somehow levitate over a 5' fence and only get back home after being hounded by dogs and eventually darted and dragged in a trailer. Good times.
tamc93
AG
Medium rare...
bedofbrass33
AG
Spoony Love said:

These are my all time favorite and would be raising these if we had a larger tract. As it stands though, we raise Dexter cattle. Small frame, big taste.

@Spoony Love, where are you at? I'll be looking for a couple Dexter cows later this fall. Would be interested in bred cows or maybe first calf heifers if you part with them?
aggieband 83
AG

Certified F1 Tigerstripe
"Queen of Cow Country"
schmellba99
AG
Santa Gertudis, because it,was developed and created on the King and is a pure Texas breed.

Brangus, because a buddy of mine raises them and no other reason.

Wagayu, because it is beyond delicious

Anything that grades at prime and is tasty
hillcountryag86
AG
Apache said:

How much of a pain are they? Jumping fences, tearing stuff up etc?

I've heard horror stories about bison, but maybe they weren't handled enough. I've seen a Brahma cow toss a man 6', somehow levitate over a 5' fence and only get back home after being hounded by dogs and eventually darted and dragged in a trailer. Good times.

I heard the same horror stories. Not true. I have 48" high perimeter and cross fences and they don't get out. If they have food and water, they don't go anywhere.

I cube them almost every day. This lets me control them when I want to move them between pastures or gather them.

When confined, if you don't know what you are doing, they can be aggressive. But, you cannot make a lot of noise, no dogs, no yelling, no playing John Wayne, and they are fine.

Twice a year, I help a friend near CS work about 70 head. We vaccinate, worm, weigh, and tag them. Takes less than two hours and they go thru the pens just as smoothly as anything. You just have to work them right.

If you yell and put too much pressure on these animals, Trump's border wall won't hold them.

Everything you heard is from misinformed people. These animals will work very easily.

I've been in the livestock business my entire life. I had doubts when we bought this herd. But it has been very easy.
flashplayer
AG
Dirty-8-thirty Ag said:

I'm partial to a black baldy calf. A good angus bull on some nicer Hereford cows makes for a great calf.

When I worked the Mid-Tex sale barn in Navasota, I was around quite a few of the belted Galloway cows & calves. They looked cute on the trailer but they came off that sucker looking for a fight. I got mashed up against a pipe fence more than I ever cared to. Had no clue how hot blooded they actually are.

Can assure you belties are not an aggressive breed. They're mostly toy cattle anyway for people that want pets. We own a beltie bull and he's docile. He came from a large herd that is also very docile. Throws really small calves on our heifers so we love to use him in that niche.

Personally, love the way a Hereford and angus mix performs for slaughtering. Not a fan of Brahma, shorthorn (beefmaster), or charloais genetics. Most other breeds I wouldn't mind raising.
W.C. Griffin '09
AG
Red Angus, fan here. That's what I grew up with. Haven't owned cows in a long time but I run a handful of Dorper sheep now. I've thought about getting some Dexter cows
Capt. Augustus McCrae
AG
KatyAg01 said:

Howdy Dammit said:

That's a bad mofo. He's done time, has the ankle bracelet to prove it.

Corn pop was a bad dude.
BurnetAggie99
I use a lot of Horn's bulls. Keep my tank stocked with a lot of Horn Bulls like The General, Lovin the Business, Macho Man, Business Done Right. I have other some other bulls and keep some as well in my tank like Monopoly, HL Sugar Bear, American Cross and so forth. Also have a Heifer bull that sired by Angus Bull Silveiras Style 930
Spoony Love
AG
While this is ultimately the goal, to produce heifers and bulls for sale, we are not there yet. We have a really good bull and two heifers. Wil be adding 2-3 more hopefully in the fall. We are located in Normangee.

There are a lot of breeders in the hill country and a few around Brazos county. We have gotten all three from around BCS and they are good stock. Had our first calf this Spring and he will be in the freezer late 2022.

Check with me in a couple years as we plan on changing lines at some point with another bull. We are trying to stick to red, polled lines.
AggiepapaBill
Like a good angus or brangus bull. The calves are worth more if they are black.
Sully Dog
hillcountryag86 said:

Run this herd, about 30. Had three processed this month and now have about 1250 pounds in the freezer. The steaks are outstanding. Not gamey whatsoever, very tender.

Where's your ranch at?
Deplorable Neanderthal Clinger
wadd96
AG
Yes they are
All the God's, all the Heavens, all the Hells are within you.
Sully Dog
Anyone here do Dexters?
hillcountryag86
AG
Bandera
Sully Dog
Sorry for being so nosey but I have ton of questions about bison ranching if you don't mind answering?

Like what's the sustainable acreage down in Bandera?
Do you need supplemental feed?
and how is finding buyers/processors?
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.