Outdoors
Sponsored by

What's your favorite breed of cattle?

7,898 Views | 98 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by hillcountryag86
rilloaggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Title says it all. Mine is the Dutch belted. You don't see them that often, they're fun you look at, and at one point I had my wife convinced they were the inspiration for and part of the recipe of Oreos.

Edit. Image post fail. It's a picture of cattle
FSGuide
Yep, Belties are cool looking. There's a guy with about 20-25 of them and about a dozen miniature donkeys about 2 miles from my house. The calves are really cute.
giddings_ag_06
AG
TwoMarksHand
AG
I favor the Belted Galloway.
AggieArcher17
AG
Mini Herefords!
TdoubleH
AG
Santa Gerts.
El_duderino
Brahman
Ag 11
AG
magnumtmp
AG
Ag 11 said:

That's my 9 year olds favorite song!
ought1ag
AG
T-Bone
Jbob04
AG
MouthBQ98
AG
Hate it that they are the mascot of the school in Austin, but I do like Longhorns as animals. They have interesting personalities even if they are a pain in the ass at times.
Howdy Dammit
AG
Allen76
AG
[url=https://imgur.com/gv6cPpe][/url]

Edit to add: This is a Brangus. It is registered, which doesn't really matter to me. He was just the one that was available when I needed a new bull.

Things I want from my bull:

1. Attitude.... does his job keeping the herd bred and at the same time doesn't make us humans feel threatened when we have to move him around.

2. Body conformation..... at least average shape, and a pretty head is a plus. Brangus are available that favor the skinny face and long ears of a Brahman. But I prefer a bull that is not too "eary". I heard more than one person use that word (eary), including the rancher that sold me the bull.

3. Health.... stays motivated, vigorous, and is able to handle the Texas heat.
B-1 83
AG
AggieArcher17 said:

Mini Herefords!

Spent decades breeding that #@$& out, and people bring it back. Just as bad as scare goats.
Allen76
AG
AggieArcher17 said:

Mini Herefords!

Other than being small, this is exactly what a great steer was supposed to look like when I started showing in 1964. Exhibitors would brush out the coat to make the animal look something like a box.
CE Lounge Lizzard
AG
Angus, but they have to be certified so you know they're good. END SARCASM HERE

Since my grandmother was from Hungerford I'll say Brahman.
rilloaggie
AG

My preferred Corb Lund bovine anthem!
f burg ag
AG
rilloaggie said:

Title says it all. Mine is the Dutch belted. You don't see them that often, they're fun you look at, and at one point I had my wife convinced they were the inspiration for and part of the recipe of Oreos.

Edit. Image post fail. It's a picture of cattle

I saw some of those Oreos up near Bastrop last weekend. Considering they are well suited for harsh winters of Canada and Northern England....they probably hate being in central Texas.
AggieArcher17
AG
Yeah I'm not a cattle guy at all, was always show pigs for me, but those little kids showing tiny cattle is just fun to watch for me.
CE Lounge Lizzard
AG
Allen76 said:

AggieArcher17 said:

Mini Herefords!

Other than being small, this is exactly what a great steer was supposed to look like when I started showing in 1964. Exhibitors would brush out the coat to make the animal look something like a box.

It is pretty interesting to look at the Grand Champions from the '50's & '60's as opposed to today & see the stark differences.
Ag_07
AG
Medium rare
BQ_90
AG
CE Lounge Lizzard said:

Allen76 said:

AggieArcher17 said:

Mini Herefords!

It is pretty interesting to look at the Grand Champions from the '50's & '60's as opposed to today & see the stark differences.
I agree we don't need those squat legged breeds anymore. But I think as ranches shrink in size, things would be better for the resource base if the base cow size came back down towards 1000# cow and not these monster 1200-1500# cows.
ratfacemcdougal
Scottish Highland...nice for somebody to have hair
Oreo....they look sooo tasty
Jersey....overall good looking cow with a cute white and black nose
AgBQ-00
AG
Dairy cows count?

O.G.
Seen the Belted "Oreo" cows on the east coast quite a bit.
AgBQ-00
AG
My dad always jokingly calls those "Hampshire cows"
hillcountryag86
AG
Run this herd, about 30. Had three processed this month and now have about 1250 pounds in the freezer. The steaks are outstanding. Not gamey whatsoever, very tender.

agnerd
AG

Gig'em
giddings_ag_06
AG
hillcountryag86 said:

Run this herd, about 30. Had three processed this month and now have about 1250 pounds in the freezer. The steaks are outstanding. Not gamey whatsoever, very tender.

Send me info on a hunt. I need a bull. Bad. I'll wear camo and shoot from a distance.
hillcountryag86
AG
I actually have three bulls that are considered trophies and have standing offers from a few folks for a hunt. Certainly would not be much of a hunt. I cube them every day and they are very used to humans. You could stand 10 feet away and shoot, which is what what we did when we processed the three.

They are an interesting animal. Very, very protective of each other. Had a bottle baby last month. When we went in the pasture to grab the calf, the herd was very docile, just grazing away. The instant we grabbed the calf, the entire herd came over to protect the little one. They did not like us messing with one of their own.

When we shot the three, each time one went down, the rest became aggressive, surrounded the downed animal and it took some effort to get in and grab the dead one to field dress.

They really are an amazing animal and very interesting to observe.
giddings_ag_06
AG
hillcountryag86 said:

I actually have three bulls that are considered trophies and have standing offers from a few folks for a hunt. Certainly would not be much of a hunt. I cube them every day and they are very used to humans. You could stand 10 feet away and shoot, which is what what we did when we processed the three.

They are an interesting animal. Very, very protective of each other. Had a bottle baby last month. When we went in the pasture to grab the calf, the herd was very docile, just grazing away. The instant we grabbed the calf, the entire herd came over to protect the little one. They did not like us messing with one of their own.

When we shot the three, each time one went down, the rest became aggressive, surrounded the downed animal and it took some effort to get in and grab the dead one to field dress.

I'm in!!
Howdy Dammit
AG
hillcountryag86 said:

Giddings would still find a way to come home empty handed
giddings_ag_06
AG
Howdy Dammit said:

hillcountryag86 said:

Wrong! That'd give me an excuse to go buy a 45-70 lever action and shoot from about 40 yards. That's pretty hard to miss for just about anyone.
AgsMnn
AG
Howdy Dammit said:

hillcountryag86 said:

After the baby, he won't be empty handed anymore.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.