Outdoors
Sponsored by

Jim Earle Collection

4,252 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by O.G.
Whoop Delecto
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Stringfellow Hawke
AG
Those are priceless and should never be sold.
Whoop Delecto
AG
Burdizzo
AG
Jim Earle was my EDG prof and had even autographed my book for the guy who owned it before me.

I had no idea he had a gun collection of this magnitude.

All things being equal it would be cool if they could find their way to being part of the Metzger-Sanders (+Earle) collection
JeremiahJohnson
AG
Looks like I need to win powerball between now and the auction.
giddings_ag_06
AG
WhoopRAB said:

Earle died in 2019 at the age of 86 and the Earle family has since decided to sell the collection.

Every time I read something like this I take it as "the family couldn't agree on splitting things up so the only option is sell and no one gets any of it". Not saying that's the case, but it usually is.

That's a badass collection I'd do anything to keep in the family.
CS78
"Best Dollar Eighty I Ever Spent!"

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/27262/lot/9/?category=list&length=12&page=1
Texasyankee
CS78 said:

That is my favorite piece in the collection.
usnaAggie67
I just joined this site to set the record straight regarding the sale of the Early West Gun Collection.
Jim Earle was my BIL. I knew of Jim Earle before he ever met my sister, because as a young teenager I had purchased his Cadet Slouch cartoon books from the MSC. I remember when James H Earle met my sister in Abilene. Jim was stationed at Dyess AFB.
Jim's two daughters, my nieces, are doing exactly what Jim instructed them to do before he died. JHE even prepared a notebook with detailed instructions on the best strategy to dispose of the collection. Liz and Susan are not fighting as some of you suggest. They are totally aligned.
Above all, Jim and Theresa were astute business people. They had to be to amass a collection like they did on his salary as a college professor. Jim and Theresa loved the chase and loved studying the history of each gun, but they both knew that the day would come when it was time to sell the collection.
I visited Jim and Thresa often, as I have been a football season ticket holder since 1975, when I left active duty from the US Navy. I was worried that the girls, as I call them, would overlook something valuable and throw it away. They both know all the details about Jim and Theresa's collection, which numbers some 2500 items. Jim also collected sports and boxing memorabilia, e.g., a belt awarded to Rocky Marciano and a bronze shoe worn by Babe Ruth, when Ruth played for the Boston Red Sox.
Susan is married to Jim Palmer, the HOF pitcher. Susan was a successful entrepreneur in her own right. Liz helped my BIL and Theresa, my sister, in managing their businesses. They are not money grubbers
You have no idea as to the stress of what these two women have gone through in the last two and one-half years. All auction houses are not created equal. Surprise, there are people out there who think they can cut a fast deal, because they think they are dealing with two hicks from College Station, Texas, who speak with a drawl.
Years ago, I was at a gun show with Jim and Theresa when we met another well-regarded collector. We discussed loaning the collection to a museum, and the other collector postulated that the collection would wind up in the basement. Museum curators are not into gun collections.
I would add that Susan and Liz are not going to tell any of you how to deal with your parents' estate, when that time comes, unfortunately, for all of us.
So, in conclusion, I would advise all Aggies to give it a rest. My nieces are doing a great job and I could not be prouder of them.
Gric
AG
Great read!
FBG_Ag78
AG
Thanks for the background and insight 67. And welcome to TexAgs OB.
Won’t comply. Won’t surrender.
bmfvet
AG

‘99
reagan1k
Over $6,000,000 including buyer's premium.
CS78
You gotta spend it somewhere.
Gunny456
AG
I registered to try and bid on a couple of the Winchester 1873's that had no real provenance. I was not even in the hunt on them.
87% of all the guns were bought by two bidders. One was on sight at the auction and the other bid by phone. They would bid against one another and far exceed the projected sales prices. I added up that one of them spent in excess of 10 million with buyers premiums and taxes. Only 4 other bidders got any of the guns these two guys did not buy.
Once the firearms were done I disconnected so don't know about the other stuff.
O.G.
Texasyankee said:

CS78 said:

Saw it in Waco when it was at the Ranger museum. Noticed the wire around the grip/stock then.

Wow, what a collection though. Pawn Stars be like, "best I can do is $50.00".
schmellba99
AG
O.G. said:

Texasyankee said:

CS78 said:

Saw it in Waco when it was at the Ranger museum. Noticed the wire around the grip/stock then.

Same, didnt know it wasnt there anymore
cupofjoe04
AG
Stringfellow Hawke said:

Those are priceless and should never be sold.

I don't disagree with you.
But for me personally, I could do way more for my family and community with a couple mill than with a piece of freaking awesome history sitting in a glass case for a few people to ogle at and be impressed with me.

Now, if it was a $5M ranch that's a different scenario.
rab79
AG
Wonder if Bill Koch was the successful bidder. I understand that he bought the furnishings from the bedroom in Maxwells house where Billy the Kid was shot and reproduced the room at his western town close to the Black Canyon of the Gunnisson NP. Koch also reportedly owns the Colt SAA serial no. 1.
NO AMNESTY!

in order for democrats, liberals, progressives et al to continue their illogical belief systems they have to pretend not to know a lot of things; by pretending "not to know" there is no guilt, no actual connection to conscience. Denial of truth allows easier trespass.
dboatrig
Their collection of items being auctioned would seem to have required much more than a simple the love of the hunt. It includes many of the most significant firearms in American history, several Patek Phillipe and Rolex watches, many pieces of beautiful bespoke jewelry, etc. If this was amassed only on a college professor's salary, my hat is off to them, but I for one suspect there may be a bit more to their story.
O.G.
dboatrig said:

Their collection of items being auctioned would seem to have required much more than a simple the love of the hunt. It includes many of the most significant firearms in American history, several Patek Phillipe and Rolex watches, many pieces of beautiful bespoke jewelry, etc. If this was amassed only on a college professor's salary, my hat is off to them, but I for one suspect there may be a bit more to their story.
Don't hate tha Playa, hate the game.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.