Outdoors
Sponsored by

Tarpon tips

1,361 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by AgDad121619
AgDad121619
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Headed to Cape San Blas iver 4th July week. Need some tips for chasing tarpon

Best places to fish - passes or run the beach? Have hung a few over the years fishing bays but it was luck as we weren't targeting them

Best rigs/ lures for chasing them if we happen to find some

Trolling or casting ( please say casting)

We will be fishing port st joe for specks and reds but will take a few days to venture out in gulf

Bonus for tips for Jack Crevalle and Spanish Macks
MouthBQ98
AG
Seen them caught on big ass stick baits red head white body.
txags92
AG
Nearly all the Spanish Mackerel I have caught have come on Silver slabs or spoons. If you are fishing for them or Jacks, use a decently heavy line or put a short leader ahead of the spoon, because they will easily cut light weight line.
1990AG
AG
If you find schools of jacks on the sand flats, they will hit most anything....we catch them in Pensacola on plastics all the time

AgDad121619
AG
txags92 said:

Nearly all the Spanish Mackerel I have caught have come on Silver slabs or spoons. If you are fishing for them or Jacks, use a decently heavy line or put a short leader ahead of the spoon, because they will easily cut light weight line.
20 or 30 lb fluoro or do I need to go with short wire leader?
txags92
AG
AgDad121619 said:

txags92 said:

20 or 30 lb fluoro or do I need to go with short wire leader?
Most of the times I caught mackerel were either out near the end of the jetties in Galveston, in the surf, or off of piers. We were almost always fishing for trout or reds and using 6-8# mono, and they cut that fairly easily. I would imagine that the heavier fluoro would probably work (30 would be better than 20, but you may lose some action going heavier). We typically just added little 9-12" wire leaders when the mackerel showed up and started biting things off. We mostly used black leaders because the silver wire leaders tended to induce a strike sometimes and would get bitten off at the connection to the mono.
Ifishandlie
AG
Lay your rod flat when the line starts to come up. Like you're bowing kinda. When they jump you won't loose as many of you do that.
TarponChaser
Came here from the Yeti thread.

So, not to be a jerk about it but I won't burn specific spots. However, I can give some general advice.

Firstly, where will you be launching from and are you using gear (whether bait or arti) or fly fishing? I can provide some info based on your answers.

Second, and this is the biggest thing but be mindful of the folks you'll see staked out. The vast majority of time these are going to be guides with guys like me on the bow and they are sitting on lines where the tarpon generally swim and these are sand bars and potholes. Far too often there are dudes (and they're invariably gear-chunkers with cobia towers/top-drives) who spot a line of happy fish coming down a bar instead of sitting back and waiting for the fish to come to them (and the guys staked out in skiffs) where they'll hit a spot and start daisy-chaining or be a lot more bitey and they run in on their big motor and start chunking at them which screws up any shot for anybody else and spooks the poon. If you use your TM and are cool with the guides they'll often help you get lined up for the best shots.
AgDad121619
AG
TarponChaser said:

So, not to be a jerk about it but I won't burn specific spots. However, I can give some general advice.

Firstly, where will you be launching from and are you using gear (whether bait or arti) or fly fishing? I can provide some info based on your answers.

Second, and this is the biggest thing but be mindful of the folks you'll see staked out. The vast majority of time these are going to be guides with guys like me on the bow and they are sitting on lines where the tarpon generally swim and these are sand bars and potholes. Far too often there are dudes (and they're invariably gear-chunkers with cobia towers/top-drives) who spot a line of happy fish coming down a bar instead of sitting back and waiting for the fish to come to them (and the guys staked out in skiffs) where they'll hit a spot and start daisy-chaining or be a lot more bitey and they run in on their big motor and start chunking at them which screws up any shot for anybody else and spooks the poon. If you use your TM and are cool with the guides they'll often help you get lined up for the best shots.

Awesome. Thanks. Certainly wasn't looking for specific spots - just trying to understand pass vs beach at this time of year

We will be launching out of boat ramp that sits at pass at St Vincent island - bait/ spin casting with plugs most likely. Any advice on artificials would be appreciated

We usually stay in St George island and have hung ( but not even close to landed) a couple off of the pier and one on the backside of the state park l. Most of our fishing will be st Joseph bay for specks / reds but we will venture out into apalachicola bay a few times if weather / surf allows
TarponChaser
AgDad121619 said:

TarponChaser said:

Awesome. Thanks. Certainly wasn't looking for specific spots - just trying to understand pass vs beach at this time of year

We will be launching out of boat ramp that sits at pass at St Vincent island - bait/ spin casting with plugs most likely. Any advice on artificials would be appreciated

We usually stay in St George island and have hung ( but not even close to landed) a couple off of the pier and one on the backside of the state park l. Most of our fishing will be st Joseph bay for specks / reds but we will venture out into apalachicola bay a few times if weather / surf allows

OK, you're talking about Indian Pass.

As for specific artificial lures I fly fish only but have taken my boys with guys just to get bit and the guides always have a couple big rods rigged in case poon come along. They're generally throwing a big ass soft plastic. Like an 8-12" bait. I just did a Google to find stuff and these are really close to what I've seen guys throwing- usually in the pearl white or "smoky shad" - Z-Man HeroZ 10" bait and rig it on a big jig-head that's probably a 10/0 or something. See a line of fish, use the TM to position yourself and then chunk that big plastic in front of the poon.

If you're looking to troll or run & gun I don't really have the knowledge there. I'm always staked out or poling in a skiff over there. 100% sight-casting.

You're better off finding a line off the beach and posting up than sitting on a pass. The water is generally cleaner to the west/north the southern point on Cape San Blas than closer to Indian Pass so you'll see more fish but they'll be spookier.

Pay attention to the tides and if you're posted up off the beach you'll likely see strings of fish pushing with the tide. Also, between Indian Pass and the southern point of the Cape within a couple hundred yards of the bach, if you get out there at the right time you'll find the water all dingy from the pogies. They're in there mating and the water is just full of pogy jizz. The tarpon are in their hammering the pogies and you'll see them rolling all over. Then after they've eaten for a bit they'll usually move out a little deeper and just lay up and chill near the surface.

And I'm sworn to secrecy by the guys I fish with on spots. They're not really secret but they do get pressured and the guides have their own names. Google Earth is your friend.
AgDad121619
AG
Great info. Thanks again. I will post pics if we connect
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.